JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some .22 ammo brands are so dirty you need to clean the gun often or they make even ordinarily reliable semi autos jam. The Ruger 10/22 and MK II are noted for reliability.
I had this experience with my Marlin 795. I thought it was broken. (It kind of was.) Turns out it needed a deep clean (which I had thousands of rounds through and never done) and a new recoil buffer. Those recoil buffers don't like hot ammo and I think they are intended to be replaced every few thousand rounds anyway. Runs tip top now. I don't think I will ever sell it actually.

I had this experience with my Marlin 795. I thought it was broken. (It kind of was.) Turns out it needed a deep clean (which I had thousands of rounds through and never done) and a new recoil buffer. Those recoil buffers don't like hot ammo and I think they are intended to be replaced every few thousand rounds anyway. Runs tip top now. I don't think I will ever sell it actually.
I picked up a Marlin XT22 from a NWFA member a couple years ago. It was pretty much NIB. It failed to fire about every other round - light firing pin strike. I took the bolt out and poured alcohol and then Hoppe's and sprayed it with some brake cleaner. A bunch of grease came out and after that I lubed it with oil and it worked fine.

Forgot to mention the old Mossberg (60+ years old now) .22 semi auto with the fold down foregrip - that I grew up with. I hated it and still do (I forget who has it now - someone in the family). It was a dirty rifle - spit gas and debris in your face, no matter how much I cleaned it. Always preferred the Marlin bolt action we had even though its mag fell apart and we shot it single shot hand fed.

What guns have you had that just didn't work for nothin. Let's not include rim fire unless you know for sure the gun was the issue.

FMK 9C1 G2: most 114gr FMJ would work in this gun but not all. Anything JHP would jam pretty often. Especially 147gr JHP, I couldn't get through 20 rounds without a stove pipe or light strike. I really wanted to like this gun since it was my first 9mm, great ergos, good recoil control, well balanced, decent trigger, but it was just not reliable. However, from this gun, I learned how to quickly remedy malfunctions. I sold it after a few years, not soon enough though.

That's really the only gun I have owned that I would call unreliable. I have/have had guns that would malfunction but not regularly like the 9C1 I had, like an ammo/magazine finicky 1911 (with a solid magazine and the right ammo it was reliable, some timing would have made it 100%). And I have a Rohm revolver that is just terrible, but it's super old and beat up, and even though I know Rohm was known for crap, I know this revolver has some worn parts from excessive usage.
S&W 39-2
I won't touch one, pick one up, and actually firing one is out of the question.
I'd rather heat the point of a #2 Philips screwdriver red hot and jam it in my eye.
Mine was unreliable to the point of being dangerous.
To S&W's credit they did make adequate compensation for my inconvenience.
That it took 4 trips back to S&W prior to catastrophic failure to not only not fix its issues but fail to detect an imminent fatal flaw leaves a bad taste to this day.

Any Star pistol I've owned, includes .380's and 9mm's.
AR7 survival .22 rifle. Early model by Charter Arms.
Marlin .22 semi-auto.
Any lever action with aluminum cased ammo.

High Standard Supermatic Trophy Citation .22LR pistol. Its chamber could only accept some rounds as its case shoulder was shorter than many rounds in which the bullet was the diameter of the case. So lots of different brands and type I'd buy it couldn't take. Was iffy if it would take them, too. Sorry I had to sell it in a time of economic distress but don't miss those aspects of it! Paid $400 in 1979 for it.

But then again, a number of horribly unreliable at best ones that, with some care, cleaning and replacement of bad parts, turned out very well, including an Ithaca 12ga. semi-auto, a Marlin Camp 9, and a (often belittled) Raven .25. As someone in the manned space program once said, "Luck counts!"

My Raven .25 may look like a shop project, but it always goes bang. :s0092:
Same with my KelTec 9mm. I refer to them as my, "Pimp" guns. :rolleyes:

They are not expensive, or pretty, but they sure beat a sharp pencil if things
get up close and personal. :cool:

Some .22 ammo brands are so dirty you need to clean the gun often or they make even ordinarily reliable semi autos jam. The Ruger 10/22 and MK II are noted for reliability.
Yep, mmm-hmm. You can hear it at a steel match all the time, "This XXX Brand .22 never gave me problems/always been 100%/totally reliable before/I don't understand/ etc…"

Taurus PT 840. I wanted a hammer fired 40 and I bought it new. After about 12/15 mags full of

shooting it started dropping the mag after one or two shots. Two came with it and they both

did the same. Ordered another mag from Taurus and it did the same. I bought it at Riches in

Donald (since relocated to Idaho) so I took it there as they have a gunsmith on duty. He said

he couldn't fix it and sent it to Taurus. After many months they replaced it it with a striker

fired 40. That was traded off. Still pissed.

I had a SIG 320 in 45 (loved it) up until it spit the RSA out the front of the slide while firing, only 300rnds thru it.

Shield 45, more specifically the magazines, had a tendency to suicide dive while firing.

Ruger Sec9C was nice up until it became a jam-o-matic every magazine about every other shot.

1911's in general the OG two world wars jamteen eleven (which will still be used in space warfare) is basically the free spot on this bingo card.

Meanwhile the G3X from Taurus hasnt had a problem yet and keeps going. Was lead to believe these are garbage guns but weird how it just works ®️.

S+W 310 night guard. It was a 10mm scandium framed revolver that locked up on round number 16 and had to go in for new parts. The frame then twisted and spit jacket back on the shooter. Went back for a new frame and was sold as soon as the gun came back to me. S+W soon took them off the market. Of the 200+ rounds I shot out of it it was accurate...it hit the shooter almost every time.

Oh, I almost forgot... Taurus Model 85, stainless 38... forcing cone cracked on third shot and locked up cylinder; can't remember if Taurus CS received two live rounds or not... the lifetime warranty you are assured to use! Friends don't let friends...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top