JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been thinking of picking up a fishing license for this year, with the lakes nice and full right now. I actually use my kayak for trolling.

Time to get out the Panther Martins.

Panther Martin.jpg

I've been thinking of picking up a fishing license for this year, with the lakes nice and full right now. I actually use my kayak for trolling.

Time to get out the Panther Martins.

View attachment 1865628
I just got my very first freshwater license today from bi-mart. 45 bucks and our friends in that store talked me into it. I told them that I just want to go fish and have a great time with family and friends.
What kind of lure do you use that for? This will be my first or 2nd time fresh water fishing. Not much experience.

I just got my very first freshwater license today from bi-mart. 45 bucks and our friends in that store talked me into it. I told them that I just want to go fish and have a great time with family and friends.
What kind of lure do you use that for? This will be my first or 2nd time fresh water fishing. Not much experience.
Lure selection depends a lot on what type of fish you're trying to catch. One of my favorites for trout and smallmouth is a deep diving Rapala in perch colors. Big lures catch big fish.

Lure selection depends a lot on what type of fish you're trying to catch. One of my favorites for trout and smallmouth is a deep diving Rapala in perch colors. Big lures catch big fish.
This is not far from my house. It just stopped raining 4 days ago. It should be a perfect timing! Any of those fish below that's available I'll try it.
Hagg Lake
At full pool Henry Hagg Lake covers 1153 acres; it has a maximum depth of 110 feet, an average depth of 51 feet, and the water level fluctuates about 22 feet annually.
Henry Hagg Lake was formed by the construction of Scoggins Dam which is a major facility of the Tualatin Project. Scoggins Park/Henry Hagg Lake has many developed facilities for day use. Park is open from sunrise to sunset seven days a week. The facilities open in late April-on the first day of fishing season-and close in late October. Overnight camping not permitted. Available species include rainbow trout, large and smallmouth bass, brown bullhead, and yellow perch. Fishing season runs from late April through October. The Park features numerous picnic areas, two boat launching facilities, a fully-stocked lake for fishing, 15-plus miles of hiking trails, observation decks for wildlife-and bird-watching and extensive facilities for disabled visitors. Henry Hagg Lake has a capacity of nearly 60,000 acre-feet of water and a surface area of 1,113 acres. The park has nominal fees for day use and season passes are available.
1713527019316.png

1713526978179.png

Last Edited:
This is not far from my house. It just stopped raining 4 days ago. It should be a perfect timing! Any of those fish below that's available I'll try it.
Hagg Lake
At full pool Henry Hagg Lake covers 1153 acres; it has a maximum depth of 110 feet, an average depth of 51 feet, and the water level fluctuates about 22 feet annually.
Henry Hagg Lake was formed by the construction of Scoggins Dam which is a major facility of the Tualatin Project. Scoggins Park/Henry Hagg Lake has many developed facilities for day use. Park is open from sunrise to sunset seven days a week. The facilities open in late April-on the first day of fishing season-and close in late October. Overnight camping not permitted. Available species include rainbow trout, large and smallmouth bass, brown bullhead, and yellow perch. Fishing season runs from late April through October. The Park features numerous picnic areas, two boat launching facilities, a fully-stocked lake for fishing, 15-plus miles of hiking trails, observation decks for wildlife-and bird-watching and extensive facilities for disabled visitors. Henry Hagg Lake has a capacity of nearly 60,000 acre-feet of water and a surface area of 1,113 acres. The park has nominal fees for day use and season passes are available.
View attachment 1865715

View attachment 1865714
We used to go to this place, the trail head I guess. (been a lot of years) and hike down the hill and toward the point some. You have access to deep enough water there, and a decent bank to sit on. Probably even some stick to rest you rods in. Use a sliding sinker with a swivel below and a 1'-11/2' of a 4#- 6# leader size 4-6 hook with a worm and a marshmallow. That rig will float the bait.

Or you can go here and hope to get a spot. Easy to get to so it's going to be crowded.

You will be bank fishing for planters so worm on a bobber or Power-bait for Trout. Catfish and Carp will be on the bottom so a worm with a sliding sinker. Either way patience is the key. Huck something out there and then read a book until you get some action.

We used to go to this place, the trail head I guess. (been a lot of years) and hike down the hill and toward the point some. You have access to deep enough water there, and a decent bank to sit on. Probably even some stick to rest you rods in. Use a sliding sinker with a swivel below and a 1'-11/2' of a 4#- 6# leader size 4-6 hook with a worm and a marshmallow. That rig will float the bait.

Or you can go here and hope to get a spot. Easy to get to so it's going to be crowded.
Hi,
Thanks for the follow-up. I just got home and saw this. I went to Bi-Mart this afternoon and this is what I got so far.
Honestly I hate that triangular sinker. Theyre heavier in a sense that they drag. I'll go back and get a sliding sinker and what else you think is needed.
So far this is a good tip. I have zero knowledge on fresh water.
But I have alot of experience in reeling barracudas. That is my favorite mid-class salt water event. I'm not doing that anymore. I just want to spend time with family and I think this fresh water lake fishing is perfect!

1713583337165.jpeg

Hi,
Thanks for the follow-up. I just got home and saw this. I went to Bi-Mart this afternoon and this is what I got so far.
Honestly I hate that triangular sinker. Theyre heavier in a sense that they drag. I'll go back and get a sliding sinker and what else you think is needed.
So far this is a good tip. I have zero knowledge on fresh water.
But I have alot of experience in reeling barracudas. That is my favorite mid-class salt water event. I'm not doing that anymore. I just want to spend time with family and I think this fresh water lake fishing is perfect!

View attachment 1866198
Ditch the pyramid sinkers, those are for holding in a strong current. Get a size assortment of the oval shaped ones with a hole through the long axis. If I remember correctly in Oregone you have to use at least an 18" leader. This makes it harder for guys that are trying to snag fish. 4 pound line on a decent spinning rod is what I usually use. Also get yourself some PowerBait.
Another thing you might look in to is shad fishing on the Columbia. Much fun to be had there and I believe they're running now.

Is there like a day or season pass at Hagg lake?
Yes, daily fee/season permit(I think).
I despised power bait. It doesn't float that well. The common way people use power bait is a molded ball on a small treble hook, (Size 8, I think?) just enough to float it. The hook would be completely buried in the bait. The 1/4oz egg sinker would leave the bait floating above the bottom. 18 inches is about right. (there's no law that I ever heard of for leader lengths fishing for anything but salmon/steelhead) When a fish takes that big glob of Power Bait you have to wait until the fish swallows it enough to be hooked. Which means, the fish takes the hook into it's throat and gills and you'll likely have to dig it out of the fishes throat and can not release the trout if you chose to.
To use worm and marshmallow use a half worm on a size 4 "Bait Holder" hook. The kind you got are not bait holder hooks. they are for using roe and sand shrimp for salmon/steelhead. Thread the worm starting with cut end onto the hook and up the line until a 1/2"-3/4" tail is hanging below the hook. Then put a marshmallow on the point of the hook. Cast smooth and gently, take excess slack out of the line and prop the rod up and watch for bites. You can also use clear "Bubbles" (floats), but fill them completely with water, so they will sink, for casting weight.

Yes, daily fee/season permit(I think).
I despised power bait. It doesn't float that well. The common way people use power bait is a molded ball on a small treble hook, (Size 8, I think?) just enough to float it. The hook would be completely buried in the bait. The 1/4oz egg sinker would leave the bait floating above the bottom. 18 inches is about right. (there's no law that I ever heard of for leader lengths fishing for anything but salmon/steelhead) When a fish takes that big glob of Power Bait you have to wait until the fish swallows it enough to be hooked. Which means, the fish takes the hook into it's throat and gills and you'll likely have to dig it out of the fishes throat and can not release the trout if you chose to.
To use worm and marshmallow use a half worm on a size 4 "Bait Holder" hook. The kind you got are not bait holder hooks. they are for using roe and sand shrimp for salmon/steelhead. Thread the worm starting with cut end onto the hook and up the line until a 1/2"-3/4" tail is hanging below the hook. Then put a marshmallow on the point of the hook. Cast smooth and gently, take excess slack out of the line and prop the rod up and watch for bites. You can also use clear "Bubbles" (floats), but fill them completely with water, so they will sink, for casting weight.
I'm gonna get those hooks now. were preparing to leave soon.
That makes send now its a good thing you said let the freshwater fish swallow the bait deep enough so I wont lose it. Most of my salt water fishing experiences is reeling. If I ever do that I would rip the trouts mouth.. :s0140:
I caught barracuda back in 1993-94. Its wasn't a trophy but that was around 35 lbs. It was a very long fight because it was going underneath the boat. I using a trilene line and a regular shimano reel and a shiny reel jig that I just made. I was lucky it didnt break because that line was under. Anyways I'll go to bi-mart now and get some 4 and 8 hooks. Thanks..

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top