JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few friends on mine and I we're standing around a campfire several weeks back and we started to talk about what they felt the skills a Rifleman should possess to be called a Rifleman as we are wanting to improve our skillset.

Here's a few that we came up with:
1) Proficient in the manual of arms with his Rifle
2) Able to hit a 20 inch targets at 500 yards
3) Able to get similar results in a variety of weather
4) Able to get similar results in Prone, Sitting or Standing

What would you add to this list? What would you take off? Appreciate your help.

Chuck Connors ,

As a kid we were always after very fast moving targets. We had to predict the next place the object would be and calculate the FPS, and once we were able to do that.
I think a true skilled marksman, hits what he aims at most the time under any condition.

We must remember when the NRA started people joined to become marksmen.
Perhaps looking back at their old qualifications. ?

I suppose I wonder why it's important to some to have the title of "Rifleman". Do you win a prize or something?

Not sure why folks call being proficient w/ a rifle is called a Rifleman. I'd think sniper would make the anti's piss themselves.

I know Appleseed gives out patches for Rifleman. I'm the kind of guy that would enjoy an Appleseed event but I wouldn't take a patch even if I "earned" it. I'm not the type to display or show off what I can do. Nor do I care about titles such as "Rifleman".

I know Appleseed gives out patches for Rifleman. I'm the kind of guy that would enjoy an Appleseed event but I wouldn't take a patch even if I "earned" it. I'm not the type to display or show off what I can do. Nor do I care about titles such as "Rifleman".

Right, no badges or special recognition for this guy....:D:p

Image1KR.png

A rifleman is simply someone who's primarily equipped with a rifle :p

Beyond that, there's marksmanship, "sniping", and speed accurate shooting :rolleyes:

A gunman is someone who is equipped with guns obviously; and usually have some measure of skills and proficiency in gun handling.

So really, it comes down to.. how skilled and proficient can you train to get to, and is the title that important? :rolleyes::cool:

I would add a component of speedy accuracy at closer distance, not only because that is what I am better at.....but most home invasions don't occur at 500 yards....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top