JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HK would be my choice for most durable. An HK45 has been going for 50,000 rounds. My HK USP/c .40 is 14 years old and has had zero failures and not a lot of TLC.

Glock is also an obvious choice. Even if something did go wrong, most problems are easy to diagnose and fix. My Gen4 G34 is at 13000 rounds and all I've had to do is change the RSA once.

HK's are built to last, but it is hard to beat a revolver for reliability. I have a wide assortment of pistols, but I keep a SW 627 8 shot 357 revolver as the home defense gun. Mostly because my wife has trouble racking a slide, and the revolver is simple. I keep two addtional 8 round moon clips of Hornady XTP's should I need to reload.

1911's are way too fragile. You can't drag one of those through the mud and shoot it. In fact your lucky if the damn thing goes bang everytime after cleaning. Get one of the polymer guns.
fragile? really. I guess they fought WWl. WWll, Korea and Vietnam in dry mudless conditions. because those troops loved them. theres a reason why they didn't want to give them up for the 92's . there are a reasons the 1911 is the longest serving sidearm in military history. Also maybe you should try different gun cleaning products or methods if you're having problems getting them to fire after cleaning. How many have YOU drug
through the mud and had problems with?

I don't know which gun would be the most rugged. In terms of semi-autos, a Glock, Sig, or HK would certainly find a place in my holster. But those who claim the 1911 is obsolete are wrong. It may not be the youngest design in the room, but there's a reason that agencies and parts of the military are still using it. I would put a PROPERLY built 1911 up with any of those other three (G, S, and HK). I still carry a 5" steel 1911 and do not feel like it is delicate and certainly won't be undergunned...

As far as revolvers, I do love me some S&W, however, Rugers are a tougher design. As a rule, they will never have the trigger of a S&W or Colt, however, due to the standard Ruger overengineering, they will digest rounds that the other two will not. When I was in Alaska working as a fishing guide, and was carrying 340 grain +P+ Buffalo Bore rounds, it was a Ruger Redhawk in my holster. Always will be.

That's my opinion, but all our opinions are worth what we pay each other for them...

I just need a gun that will give me it's magazine or cylinder of ammo when I need it. I expect to need to keep it clean and in good repair. If the special forces don't use it it's OK. I cant do any special forces things to my guns. I will take a glock, CZ75,1911.XDs,S&W j-frame,92sf or one of many others. I own and use a lot of guns. All from good Mfg's and kept clean and inspected. I worry more about the 1000 things in a gun fight I cant control. I don't know what is best. I just know some that are good enough for a shlub like me.My guns are Good To Go.

the most reliable durable and accurate firearms out there are all glocks h&k pistols walther pistols & the browning hp 9mm & wilson arms 1911 pistols in my opinion these firearms have proven that

When your plastic models are over 100 years old and still going strong, are as widely copied, and have as many companies building accessories, as a 1911- then we might have something to debate about. Until then "forget about it" the answer is ( no drum roll needed ) A 1911!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top