JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1911's are way too fragile. You can't drag one of those through the mud and shoot it. In fact your lucky if the damn thing goes bang everytime after cleaning. Get one of the polymer guns.

I guess it all depends on the criteria. I have seen all steel guns that have actually taken a bullet and still function. I know a polymer gun would not be able to stand up to that so my money would be on all steel.

Haven't they done torture test on Glocks and they never fail? I'd go with a Glock (or a Timex.....:{). )
That is just marketing. I have had Glocks fail as I am sure most people that have owned many of them have. I also saw a Glock fail from the heat of rapid firing during a test one time on YouTube. The gun next to it kept firing. I remember the gun that kept going not being a model I would even thought of as a particularly reliable gun.

Plius, just because a gun is loose enough to handle getting dirty does not mean it is any more durable than any other gun.

They are all just tools and tools break down. Nothing in this world lasts without being taken care of. Even diamonds have been found to actually break down. Treat any modern gun with a bit of care and it will easily see the next turn of the century. That being sand I think Glocks, HKs, Rugers, and S&Ws will still be hanging in there many years down the road with little effort.

1911's are way too fragile. You can't drag one of those through the mud and shoot it. In fact your lucky if the damn thing goes bang everytime after cleaning. Get one of the polymer guns.

Perhaps this will clear up some confusion:
Browning was determined to prove the superiority of his handgun, so he went to Hartford to personally supervise the production of the gun. There he met Fred Moore, a young Colt employee with whom he worked in close cooperation trying to make sure that each part that was produced for the test guns was simply the best possible. The guns produced were submitted again for evaluation, to the committee. A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.

Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.

Link provided:
http://www.m1911.org/history.htm

History is a funny thing, if you don't read it you make mistakes.

Jim

Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.

6,000 cartridges is pretty pitiful compared to tests for more modern firearms like the M9, which was for five times that amount. That record is even more embarrassing when you read that the test subject was built to a higher standard than normal production models.

Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum in stainless steel. Here's a partial review by David Tong:

However, and this is the real reason why these guns are a solid buy, they will simply out last any other DA revolver over thousands of Magnum rounds. (With the exception, of course, of Rugers follow-on piece, the GP-100.)
If one bought a Security Six, one could expect a lifetime of full use and still be able to hand it to ones children with nary a problem.
I once knew of an indoor range that had one as a rental gun and it digested, by their estimate, some 1,400,000 rounds with no parts breakages and minimal maintenance. That is the essence of a good deal!

Last Edited:
Ruger revolvers are known throughout the world for their strength and reliability. You cannot touch another hand gun that compares for their price. It is darn near impossible to build a pistol that is a strong and reliable as a revolver.

I like and respect the 1911 platform but to compare my kimber to the Remington Rands, Singers and Ithicas I carried in the serive is almost like two distinctly different firearms. I used to think those firearms were poor in the service - you could put a marble in a metal can and shake it - thats the sound you got when you shook a military 45. The funny thing is that those 45's always fired when you pulled the trigger. Those old guns were not the most accurate but certainly good enough for defence. If I had one of those Singer 1911's today I could buy many kimbers for that one. I will stick with the 1911 platform and then have a reliability job done on each one. I think highly of Kimbers and will have more in the future. I see polymer pistols like I do plastic garbage cans - useful but very replaceable - no sentimental value. Guns are like religion - who do you pray to when the times get bad and the chips are down.

James Ruby

That is just marketing. I have had Glocks fail as I am sure most people that have owned many of them have. I also saw a Glock fail from the heat of rapid firing during a test one time on YouTube. The gun next to it kept firing. I remember the gun that kept going not being a model I would even thought of as a particularly reliable gun.

Plius, just because a gun is loose enough to handle getting dirty does not mean it is any more durable than any other gun.

Well I know I have had parts failures with my glocks, pins breaking and such, they still operated, but the armorer replaced them on warranty.

Springs wear out on them all, but I don't see a lot of people putting revolvers forward as a "reliable" weapon. They are simpler in operation and less finicky. And as for ammo selectivity, most revolvers go bang with multiple ammo manufactures as well as ammo type. 44mag/special, 357 mag/38 special, 45 colt/410 etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top