JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
glock all the way, get your self a full framed 3rd gen and know that it will work.

get your self a dan wesson, and know that it will only look pretty......

Really? I hesitate to even be drawn in by your trolling but I've had one of my Glocks fail to eject and then fail to fire the next round while neither of my Dan Wesson's have ever had a failure of any kind. So am I wrong or are you? Ignorant generalities aren't going to get you very far around here.

my vote would be for almost any quality revolver, esp. w/out any type of transfer bar ignition system (SAA or S&W 19 for example). If need be, you could go as far as using a piece of wood to hit the hammer & still fire rounds from it. As an aside, go to youtube and look for hipoint torture tests that are posted by iraqveteran8888. Love them or hate them, you will be surprised (amazed?) at the crazy (stupid) things these guys do to a couple of hipoint compacts and just how far they have to go to actually destroy one

Might as well have asked, "What is your favorite handgun?"
The only scientific evidence posted is an anecdote from a website which happened over 100 years ago. My opinion? Revolvers certainly must be more durable than semi automatics. Any design refined over a century one would certainly hope to be reliable and durable, no matter the number of moving parts. Glocks I would bet would be right up there.
Hopefully someone will share some objective information or actual durability tests.

Ruger....Nuff said. Most reliable make period.

A revolver is the most reliable. No study needed.

I have owned or operated all kinds of hand guns, accept any thing with Hi or Point or Standard in the name.

Obviously revolvers are going to be most reliable. But with respect to reliability of autos they some have better track records than others. I prefer one with a good track record (they all have reported failures of some kind) that can be field repaired as opposed to having to send it to a gunsmith. Poly is the way for me, XD in particular.

Definitely interesting how the question posed created a variety of responses including the merits of a 1911 vs. a Glock. Personally I think it is just a case of apples and oranges....

I have both a Glock 22 and a Ithaca 1911 made circa 1944-ish. I would trust my life with both weapons in terms of their functionality. In terms of durability, the Ithaca has certainly been well loved (or hated) depending on how one interprets it's appearance. However, its an accurate son of a bubblegum and it goes bang every time. I carry the Glock as a duty weapon, it gets some rough use on the range but it holds up wonderfully.

I do think, however, that ultimately, you can't go wrong with a quality revolver from Ruger or S&W. Fewer parts, steel construction and time tested designs all show that you can absolutely trust that they will hold up through whatever hell you plan on putting them through...

Auto Ordnance U.S. Army 1911A1 and Smith & Wesson Victory. I own em and love em. The rifling in the 1911 is fairly worn but is still minute of target accurate enough that it doesn't bother me much. Sure it fails like most guns do, but I find it makes a great club if need be. The Op-spring got weak from all of it's use and it still functioned, just a bit slower. I replaced it and it works like a champ. The Victory is a sweet little revolver. It's about 60 years old and doesn't skip a beat. Rifling is supreme and the action is crisp. The Victory is the Mack Daddy of them all if you ask me.

1911's are pretty and awesome have a couple myself, however i wouldnt put my life in the hands that only fires 9 out of 10 times in my personal experience. They holds less rounds, have less tolerence (which isnt nessicarily a bad thing) however when i am protecting me and my families lives i will choose my polymer Frame guns specifically my glock and M&P.

the only reason glock can shoot while dirty is because everything is made a little bit bigger (ie. the chamber has alot more tolerence to the bullet to account for the extra dirt and grim on the round, less play in the 1911's but that just it 1911 is a obsolete technology made and designed in 1911. Hasnt changed much, hasnt needed to however Newer designed guns are becoming more reliable.

just my opinion, some things to think about.

The under appreciatied 3rd Gen S&W guns, especially the all stainless ones should be mentioned here. Brick solid, eat anything and just a new spring replacement every once in a while from perfect in my book. I'd put my little 3913 against anything comparable, heaven knows it's had enough rounds put through it to prove in to me ;-)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top