JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My vote is for the Ruger Security Six, in stainless steel.

David Tong wrote a review on these and here is an excerpt from it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3KRev3d8MQ_aW-A&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cGU&cad=rja

"However, and this is the real reason why these guns are a solid buy, they will simply out last any other DA revolver over thousands of Magnum rounds. (With the exception, of course, of Ruger's follow-on piece, the GP-100.) If one bought a Security Six, one could expect a lifetime of full use and still be able to hand it to one's children with nary a problem. I once knew of an indoor range that had one as a rental gun and it digested, by their estimate, some 1,400,000 rounds with no parts breakages and minimal maintenance. That is the essence of a good deal!"

Last Edited:
Perhaps this will clear up some confusion:
Browning was determined to prove the superiority of his handgun, so he went to Hartford to personally supervise the production of the gun. There he met Fred Moore, a young Colt employee with whom he worked in close cooperation trying to make sure that each part that was produced for the test guns was simply the best possible. The guns produced were submitted again for evaluation, to the committee. A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.

Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.

Link provided:
http://www.m1911.org/history.htm

History is a funny thing, if you don't read it you make mistakes.

Jim
I saw a cool vid Yeager did putting 1k rounds down a kimber without stopping. Was like 4 guys, 1 would shoot and 3 would load mags. there were 3 or 4 stoppages but it was not gun related, it was human error.
I thought that was pretty cool coming from a guy that does not like the 1911.

DARKWATCH first post bump? odd.
The Hi-Power has been used by like 180 countries as their military pistol. The Glock is like 30 years old and swangs on a few US police belts?
Come on. I'm just trying to slam the fake n00b.

My CZ52 has been through some rough times, even lacking lubrication for many many mags and has yet to fail me. Supposedly the rollers can go bad and the firing pin could fail from dry firing but I have yet to see any wear in mine through all the hell I have put it through.

Leaving revolvers off the table, I vote for the Ruger P89. All metal, burn it, cut it apart, drop it out of a helicopter. It will go bang.And can be used for a hammer in a SHTF situation.
2nd is Glock.
3rd is a quality 1911. Although my father had a Colt series 80 and it was a jam-o-matic.

Have a CZ75 in 40S&W with over 20K down the pipe. The mf-er's a tank. All that's changed is the recoil spring, and 2 of the mags don't drop as well as they used to. I thought I replaced the barrel ~ 8 years ago, but still have the same barrel, matching serial numbers. Lands and grooves still look good. The top of it where it tilts and contacts the slide does show wear. The trigger has only gotten better with the use. It is my go-to gun.
I open carry it when hunting and deep woods camping. While I have dropped it and gotten it muddy, I'll disassemble it on the spot and wipe it. It's been rained on for days and days while out in the woods -- I love stainless pistols. I've dropped it multiple times with the hammer cocked (practicing switching hands)
and never had an AD. Only one FTF that I can remember, and that was technically a squib.
20 years ago, I used to clean religiously, now I'm lazy and may clean after 500 or more rounds. Last I looked at it, it was filthy.

JBett, at least you're consistent! You "voted" twice in this thread and chose the same gun.

Don't know how I missed this thread years ago, but I'll put my 2 cents in now.

I have owned several 1911s and love the hell out of them. I'd trust my Colt or Dan Wesson to do what's needed any time. Oh, wait, I already do.
Anyone who says a 1911 is unreliable has either worked with cheap clones or is just ignoring the service record of that great pistol. I doubt any semi-automatic can be more reliable than a good 1911. Equal? Quite possibly.

However I'd be hard pressed to find a gun that is as reliable as my ol' Ruger Blackhawk. Not as finicky as a Colt Peacemaker (which has a great history of it's own) and can handle pressures that allow it to have it's own category in many reloading manuals. If you've ever looked inside of one, you will see simplicity at it's best.

Cock hammer. Pull trigger. BANG! Done deal.

Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum in stainless steel. Here's a partial review by David Tong:

However, and this is the real reason why these guns are a solid buy, they will simply out last any other DA revolver over thousands of Magnum rounds. (With the exception, of course, of Ruger's follow-on piece, the GP-100.) If one bought a Security Six, one could expect a lifetime of full use and still be able to hand it to one's children with nary a problem. I once knew of an indoor range that had one as a rental gun and it digested, by their estimate, some 1,400,000 rounds with no parts breakages and minimal maintenance. That is the essence of a good deal!
I can vouch for this. I still shoot my Security Six that belonged to my father.

Though the Ruger Speed Six is my all-time favorite handgun, and as much as I like the Security Six and Police Service Six, it is hard to argue with the GP100 for being right at the top of the most durable revolvers ever made. My vote for perhaps the most durable of all revolvers would have to be the Ruger Redhawk .357.

I know it's a cliche, but I had a Glock 19 that was boringly reliable no matter what I put through it and no matter what the conditions. Sold it and now I have a Glock 27 that is the same way. Probably about 2500 rounds through the 19 and 2000 or so through the 27. Not a single malfunction of any kind with either.

you know i did to ive had the 23,29 two20s and aglock 27gen three and now i have a glock27 gen 4 im just going to keep the 27 becouse its still pocketable some times in cargo pants/shorts and can still use the full size mags other than that its my kahrp380 the rest of the time

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top