JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Care to add some context to the question?

Are you asking for the legal definition or are you asking what part of the gun actually detonates a cartridge?

In common usage, the firing mechanism would be the trigger assy, the hammer, the firing pin, any transfer block, and the sear. For striker fired, it would be the trigger assy, the striker and striker assy, and maybe safety(ies) One could extend that to the safety(ies), the bolt and breechface, possibly.

Legal definition is whatever "they" say it is. :(

The eight firing sequence steps of a semi-automatic-

1. Firing
2. Unlocking
3. Extracting
4. Ejecting
5. Cocking
6. Feeding
7. Chambering
8. Locking

See more here (this one starts with Feeding) Steps Of Functioning - ARMY M16 Marksmanship

When I was in the Army, they taught this by rote, along with "The Seven Steady Hold Factors", which are-

1. Firing hand
2. Non-firing hand
3. Firing elbow
4. Non-firing elbow
5. Cheek to stock weld
6. Butt in the pocket of the shoulder
7. Breathing

By the numbers! Ready, One! Ready, Two!

I know lots of laws on the books were written years ago and were based on the guns of those times.

I'd imagine the trigger is considered the "firing mechanism" for most guns of the past and present. I'd say it is present on most guns if not all, it may not always be mechanical, but a trigger for the most part is the "on" button for all guns.

The thing that ignites a cartridge is a pin of various shapes, sizes, and names.

I'm still lost to the reason behind the question though?

P1110224[1].JPG
This one or the one below....:D

P1110225[1].JPG
Without really knowing the full context of the OP question...
A firing mechanism can vary wildly depending on the firearm and the era of the firearm.
Andy

The mechanism on how to actually frame a cogent question was lost on you.
I was asking the question in relation to this description: That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

I know what a hammer is.
I know what a bolt is.
I know what a breechlock is.
But I wasn't sure what they were referring to for the firing mechanism part(s). I assumed it was the trigger group? That seems to be the consensus.

Last Edited:
I was asking the question in relation to this description: That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

I know what a hammer is.
I know what a bolt is.
But I wasn't sure what they were referring to for the firing mechanism part(s). I assumed it was the trigger group? That seems to be the consensus.
Well, better luck next time.

You'll have to forgive a poor soul whose connection with reality is somewhat tenuous to say the least, and in particular my knowledge of the English language, which is self-taught, albeit at an early age. This probably accounts for my inability to understand the first premise of the OP - it's like asking 'why is a wall?'

I'm sure that if the OP were to re-arrange the question into a coherent format, that many of us here, who DO know how a firearm functions, would be able either to offer him an answer, or point him to an answer that would suffice his needs.

You'll have to forgive a poor soul whose connection with reality is somewhat tenuous to say the least, and in particular my knowledge of the English language, which is self-taught, albeit at an early age. This probably accounts for my inability to understand the first premise of the OP - it's like asking 'why is a wall?'

I'm sure that if the OP were to re-arrange the question into a coherent format, that many of us here, who DO know how a firearm functions, would be able either to offer him an answer, or point him to an answer that would suffice his needs.
It seems the majority opinion is trigger group. So I will go with that.

Sorry for the poorly written question but I was trying to identify what part or parts would be considered the firing mechanism in this description:
That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

I know what a hammer is.
I know what a bolt is.

It seems the majority opinion is trigger group. So I will go with that.

Sorry for the poorly written question but I was trying to identify what part or parts would be considered the firing mechanism in this description:
That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

I didn't have any problem guessing what you were after... because I had been following the discussion of 978-5. In framing your question, one cannot assume that all members have been doing that.

I'm sticking by my answer: In legal terms, the firing mechanism is whatever "they" say it is. These types of laws have a long history of being poorly written, or intentionally ambiguous/vague. You decide.

bb

FCG = fire control group = as the name implies, is a group of components that control the firing of the weapon. Those components will vary from weapon to weapon, but in general will consist of a trigger, hammer, sear and springs.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads