JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If common sense prevails, the firing mechanism is either the part that the user touches to initiate the firing sequence, or it's all the parts needed to cause detonation of the weapon.*

* The firing cannot happen without the hammer. The firing cannot happen without each part of the trigger assembly. The firing cannot happen without the firing pin or striker. Note that for the purposes of the OP, we are not discussing BP weapons, but rather ARs and possibly pistols... due to the restrictions outlined in SB978.

That said, because of the way this is written, "they" can hang you with whatever parts you have on hand.

"They" won't even specify what an "assault weapon" is... why do we think that might be? Hmmmmm?

If common sense prevails, the firing mechanism is either the part that the user touches to initiate the firing sequence, or it's all the parts needed to cause detonation of the weapon.*

* The firing cannot happen without the hammer. The firing cannot happen without each part of the trigger assembly. The firing cannot happen without the firing pin or striker. Note that for the purposes of the OP, we are not discussing BP weapons, but rather ARs and possibly pistols... due to the restrictions outlined in SB978.

That said, because of the way this is written, "they" can hang you with whatever parts you have on hand.

"They" won't even specify what an "assault weapon" is... why do we think that might be? Hmmmmm?
In a homemade slam-fire shotgun, trigger parts don't really exist but there is a firing pin (sort of). I could make an AR upper (no gas) fire without a hammer or FCG so I guess in that situation my hand driving the firing pin would be the firing mechanism/hammer. As far as the feds go, I agree they make stuff up as they go along. With the State I would think they would have to be a little more careful?

In a homemade slam-fire shotgun, trigger parts don't really exist but there is a firing pin (sort of). I could make an AR upper (no gas) fire without a hammer or FCG so I guess in that situation my hand driving the firing pin would be the firing mechanism/hammer. As far as the feds go, I agree they make stuff up as they go along. With the State I would think they would have to be a little more careful?

Why would the state need to be more careful?

Given the above, and in context with 978-5, we have to ask ourselves what they are trying to accomplish... The vague wording makes me think it's all homebuilt firearms.

Given the above, and in context with 978-5, we have to ask ourselves what they are trying to accomplish... The vague wording makes me think it's all homebuilt firearms.
The ATF seems to be able to make up rules (determinations) on the fly. It seems like at the State level that work needs to be mostly done in Salem?

The ATF seems to be able to make up rules (determinations) on the fly. It seems like at the State level that work needs to be mostly done in Salem?

I agree SB 978-5 applies to all homebuilt firearms that didn't use a compliant receiver. But I don't think it would apply to an AR15 you built if you used a receiver serialized in accordance with the fed regs laid out in SB 978-5

Done in Salem, but Salem is still making things up and slamming them into a new law.... seems to make little difference in the effects on gun owners.

OK, to try to clarify, SB978 calls for the serial number to appear on a firearm on "[t]hat part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel." Since SB978 is addressing mostly AR style rifles in this section it seems that the law could be interpreted to require a serial number on the AR rifle upper receiver. Now we all know that the serial number on an AR, and the portion of an AR that counts as a firearm for transfer purposes, is the LOWER receiver assembly. As far as I know, no AR style rifle has a serial number on the upper, which "is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel", and "which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock". So the meaning of "firing mechanism" becomes crucial in determining whether a serial number is required on an AR upper, which, if true, would make the owner of every AR style rifle in Oregon an instant felon.

At best, SB978 is ambiguous in this area, and at worst it requires serial numbers on AR upper receivers, which do not exist.

I was asking the question in relation to this description: That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

I know what a hammer is.
I know what a bolt is.
I know what a breechlock is.
But I wasn't sure what they were referring to for the firing mechanism part(s). I assumed it was the trigger group? That seems to be the consensus.

I think the word you are looking for is "Receiver" or "Action". It is the part of a Bolt Action rifle with the serial number. It combines all the parts.

In ARs it's the lower as in lower receiver. Uppers have the barrel with chamber, bolt and firing pin.
Lowers have the safety, trigger, and hammer as well as the magazine well

ZigZagZeek nailed it! An AR actually contains its entire fire control group with in the two halves, the BCG in the upper, and the Trigger assembly in the lower, thus making things far more complicated then they need to be for the purpose of the laws governing AR type builds! Most Semi autos function the same way, and if you think about it, so do pistols! Take the long view here, how does the definitions actually affect the end results?
07f3563ff0b0e8b9759c4eece1167e9b.jpg

This gun tech stuff is all very interesting, but I don't need to be a car mechanic to drive a car do I?

And, with such 'stuff' in mind, I don't need to know all the intricate gun tech in order to shoot do I?

More important to me: Safe gun handling, good ammo and be able to shoot accurately.

However, when I read of law makers speaking of 'the shoulder thing that goes up' I know how meager their gun tech knowledge, but hey, they don't have to be informed to make laws, they just charge ahead with arrogant certainty they 'the law givers' ascribe to the theory of: Seldom right, but never uncertain...being correct regarding law making for them isn't necessary for their subjects...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads