JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Steep hill between the street and the door, lots of light, dead bolts, 100lb German shepherd, then if you still feel the need to continue glock 17 in my nightstand xd in my girls and a 870 tactical in the closet.

Let's see, the house is 200' down a narrow driveway that's easily blocked. The coonhounds in the kennel announce every arrival no matter what time of day or night. Coonhounds can be heard for miles. The big male's name is "Boomer" for a reason. Then there's the "house hound" who lives in the yard. She's loud too, and likes the taste of warm raw meat.

Once inside the house there are numerous booby traps set up by my 2 year old daughter. Nobody is going to navigate the family room or hallway in the dark uninjured or quietly.

After that there's the .357 revolver with 2 speed loaders in the electronic safe, 2 cell phones, and a big beam in the headboard. I can go from sound asleep with a locked safe to shots fired in under 6 seconds. There's also a 40", 5 lb broadsword in the closet.

My 1911 is next to my bed or under my pillow. The Mossberg is ready and 6" from the edge of my bed!! Between the dogs in the neighborhood, the neighbors and motion activated security lights, it is hard to get to our houses without letting someone know!!

MissJ on phones: "because when seconds count the police are only minutes away!" :cool: (no offense to any law enforcement. but where I live it takes 10+ minutes just to get to a stoplight or intersection)

+1 on the locked doors and windows thing.....but when discussing home defense and phones... I'll take a dog....ANY dog over any phone- I do prefer my sweet and loyal 80 pound pitbull to a poodle; but I won't split hairs!

If you are ever stupid enough to try to come through locked doors/windows and 2 barking dogs to break into my house, you'll find out what else there is to negotiate. I estimate your discovery of "what else" will occur with the simultaneous thought that this was a REALLY bad house to pick.

Seriously, deterring a burglar beats Hell out of shooting one. The dogs alone do a pretty good job of that unless the guy is really high. Outside lighting, nosy neighbors, good visibility all around the house, dead-bolts and good locks on the windows do the rest. -Except for the incredibly stupid or suicidal.

Only time I ever get worried is when we're on vacation and the dogs are boarded.

Mine is not nearly as effective. :D

Mabel12.jpg

Awww......:)

My pup might make some noise if someone pulled the covers off him or mess with his buddy, so my backup plan is a moss 590, and cz sp01 tac with a tlr-3 light on the nightstand and a short sword.
481b492b.jpg

Ogres have layers...

- Fenced yard (except for the shoreline) and automatic gates
- Motions sensor lights
- Video cameras
- Deadbolts on all exterior doors and bar locks on all windows
- Cat that will loudly nag anything that moves for attention (had to put the German Shepherd down last December and can't bring myself to replace her yet)

If you get past all that...

- H&K USP 45C with HK Tac Light holstered on nightstand + 2 spare mags (day carry gun - Hydrashocks)
- Coonan Model B .357 under mattress (Silvertips)
- Benelli M4 with Streamlight TLR-1 under bed (wife's side, 00buck)
- And last resort, Colt LE6920 with Streamlight TLR-2S and a half dozen P-mags with PD ammo

Then there's the safe...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads