JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
good point, borrowedsig...here is how it works at my place...ONE gun, the nightstand piece is out when we retire. The safe is locked, with all the rest of the guns inside. In the morning, my carry gun goes on my belt. Yep, in the house, all the time. The nightstand gun goes in the safe. When we go out, everything except my carry gun is locked up. Ammo as well.

We live in the woods, waaaaay off the road, so the odds of someone sneaking up are pretty slim. And if someone bursts through my locked door, or crawls through my locked window, the only gun they will find is the one firing at them.

The moral of the story is simple: Be trained, prepared, just a little paranoid, and above all SAFE!!!

good point, borrowedsig...here is how it works at my place...ONE gun, the nightstand piece is out when we retire. The safe is locked, with all the rest of the guns inside. In the morning, my carry gun goes on my belt. Yep, in the house, all the time. The nightstand gun goes in the safe. When we go out, everything except my carry gun is locked up. Ammo as well.

We live in the woods, waaaaay off the road, so the odds of someone sneaking up are pretty slim. And if someone bursts through my locked door, or crawls through my locked window, the only gun they will find is the one firing at them.

The moral of the story is simple: Be trained, prepared, just a little paranoid, and above all SAFE!!!

Thats the way it works around our place too. We try to be as safe as possible even though like you we live way out in the woods as well with dogs.

Matt

I keep my H&K USP .40 compact on my nightstand. It is DA so I keep the hammer up and it is also what I carry around the farm when I am working outside. Needless to say I keep it and all of my other weapons locked up when not around, my worst fear is walking into my house and someone shooting me with my own weapons.

I believe that failing to plan is planning to fail, so I'm glad everyone is prepared, but it's still nice to see that out of 140 posts everyone has answered in the hypothetical. i.e. no one has stated that they have actually had a home invasion. That's a nice thing to know.

Almost had a four-legged invader today. A large snarling pit bull jumped the fence of a neighboring back yard and chased my elderly mother back into the house. She shut the glass back door before the dog could get inside. By the time I grabbed my Glock 23 and ran towards the back glass door the dog was barking and growling at us from the outside. I video-recorded the dog and called animal control. If that dog had made it inside, I would have seen just how good Corbon's DPX rounds are on a pit bull.

Almost had a four-legged invader today. A large snarling pit bull jumped the fence of a neighboring back yard and chased my elderly mother back into the house. She shut the glass back door before the dog could get inside. By the time I grabbed my Glock 23 and ran towards the back glass door the dog was barking and growling at us from the outside. I video-recorded the dog and called animal control. If that dog had made it inside, I would have seen just how good Corbon's DPX rounds are on a pit bull.

If that happened to me that would be one ventilated Pit, but seeing that you are from Kali, if you would have shot it then the authorities probably would have let loose a chimo to make room in county for you.

If that happened to me that would be one ventilated Pit, but seeing that you are from Kali, if you would have shot it then the authorities probably would have let loose a chimo to make room in county for you.
Ha! Yep, that might have very well have happened. But putting a fellow officer in jail based on that would have been a stretch even for Kali. But you never know nowadays. The owner would have tried to get some money off me if I had smoked it. In a few short years, I will be in your neck of the woods as a resident so I hope the WA gun laws stay the same or improve.

I keep my H&K USP .40 compact on my nightstand. It is DA so I keep the hammer up and it is also what I carry around the farm when I am working outside. Needless to say I keep it and all of my other weapons locked up when not around, my worst fear is walking into my house and someone shooting me with my own weapons.

Re: your last sentence.....kudos to all who lock their guns up when not at home. We set the alarm, and if either my wife or I enter and that alarm is still not armed, we don't enter, until we have our carry weapon ready and have called the other to see if they forgot to arm the alarm. Train your kids, too. When my daughter is at home and I have surprised her by coming home, I have found her with the phone in one hand and the alarm remote (panic button) in the other. Good girl!

Starfire .40 in holster in night stand, 12ga riot gun three steps away. Shotty carries 3" #4 buck! That's 41 .24cal pellets per! Oh yeah, Hydra-Shocks in the .40. These guns are very well concealed.
+1 with s_ribs, it would be hard to overstate the importance of a dog in our personal and home security! Lilly is a 135# Bull Mastif and she is sleeping at the foot of the bed. She would die for us and she would darned sure kill to protect us. When we aren't at home her big voice deters intruders. Any dog that makes noise is a plus.

OPSEC BE DAMNED!!
FNP 9 double action, no mechanical safety, hammer down and night sights in hers
FNP 45 Tactical suppressed, cocked and locked in mine.
Despite what some have read the most reliable guns in my safe. Are locked up when we are not within arms reach. Daily carry is similar.
Don't live in the worst of areas but not taking any chances these days. Could be considered a fanboy, but nowhere near the caliber of the glockies.

I live in a good neighborhood thankfully.

Buy still plan to add motion lights to the front and back porch. Also going to do probably a 6 camera security camera setup which should cover the whole house. More getting it for when I travel for work to be able to check up on it....but figure it'll also be a good cover my *** if I do shoot a burglar (ie showing then on camera breaking in and posing a threat)

As for guns...Sig p226 with suppressor right next to me. Mossberg 500 with buckshot in the closet. Closet also has my gun safe with access to plenty of other choices. I also keep pairs of earmuffs in each location to with the plan being to get them on before shooting if at all possible. (Sometimes the suppressor isn't on the 226).

Will be getting a Siberian huskey come this winter as well.

Gotta look into a light to at somepoont. Right now my bedroom stays slightly lit up from my neighbors floodlights outside his shop but that won't so me good if I go out of my bedroo.

I switch nightstand/house pistols depending on what I'm carrying. The others get locked up. I also keep a long gun out, usually in closet off the living room. Usually an M1 carbine or .357 lever gun.

Glock 17 with a TLR-1. Out of sight but within reach of bed. I'll be upgrading to a Glock 31 if I ever get around to shooting it to make sure it's up to the task.

I just moved into another place (hopefully my last residence in Kali before relocating to WA). Current HD pistol is my gen 4 Glock 21 w/TLR-1s in a DSG Arms Alpha Holster resting on my nightstand. My soulmate has her own pistol w/TLR-1 on her nightstand.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top