JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read two cases today, one where he was convicted of a felony, the other where he was acquitted.

This is esp. a problem if you OC. But even CCW, all someone has to do is say black handgun was pointed at me, which is what most carry. False accusations are rarely prosecuted...

As someone who has been maliciously sued and won, I know how easy it is for someone to make an accusation. It took several years to win the suit. But it still took time and $$$$$....

I think I will avoid OC for this reason alone from now on. But even CCW puts you at risk. Starting to debate whether a gun introduces too many legal risks...Our justice system is beyong screwed up. An accusation can send you to prison. Many murderers and rapists turn out to be innocent, sent to life in prison just on a single persons testimony, so it doesn't take much to send a guy to prison by making up brandishing accusations...

I carry a pen camera and have a dash cam, but the pen camera has a 30 min battery life and unlike the dash cam, is turned on after the fact. Perhaps a key is mitigation: there is safety in numbers so avoid going anywhere alone? Or at least if not with a friend, be in a public place with impartial witnesses?

Last Edited:
WHen I was in the USCG about 35+ years ago, a number of us, especially the petty officers, carried concealed while off duty. In part it was because the PTB had decided to get us involved in the "war on drugs" and that wasn't too popular with the populace (especially when we did searched on their boats).

So one of the POs was in line waiting to get into a theater when there was a teenager who was hassling a girl, manhandling her, etc.

The PO asked the kid to leave her alone, and it turned into a shouting match that looked like it would turn into a fight. The PO handed his carry weapon to one of his Coastie friends so that if he got into a fight the gun wouldn't be involved.

The teenager then called the cops and accused the PO of brandishing his firearm.

For some weeks it looked like there would be some trouble for the Coastie, but fortunately most of the system tended to believe the testimony of several Coast Guardsman instead of that of a punk kid.

Just the same, yeah, you have to be careful.

I don't carry much anymore - I really don't have a reason to, and the few times I would have reason to, I can't because of work policies.

Nobody has a reason to carry, until they do. o_O

Granted.

To each their own.

There were a few times I have wished I was armed, but in 4+ decades as an independent adult, I can count them on the fingers of one hand and still have a few spare fingers left over.

I do need to get my permit (I let the one I had in WA expire, and now I live in Orygun) because there are a few times when I want to carry, or just have a handgun concealed in the vehicle accessible to me, or more likely, have the option to carry. Most of the time I would not carry as I don't feel the need.

Everyone who is a law abiding adult has the right to carry - but that doesn't mean that you have to carry all the time.

Granted.

To each their own.

There were a few times I have wished I was armed, but in 4+ decades as an independent adult, I can count them on the fingers of one hand and still have a few spare fingers left over.

I do need to get my permit (I let the one I had in WA expire, and now I live in Orygun) because there are a few times when I want to carry, or just have a handgun concealed in the vehicle accessible to me, or more likely, have the option to carry. Most of the time I would not carry as I don't feel the need.

Everyone who is a law abiding adult has the right to carry - but that doesn't mean that you have to carry all the time.

Everything is a decision as to risk.

I wear a seat belt because I drive and I have been in car wrecks and I see them everyday.

I don't always carry a gun everywhere because I don't see people shot at, or threatened with violence everyday.

I have a much greater risk of injury or death due to car wrecks, heart attack, cancer or stroke than I do due to violence done to me by a criminal.

YMMV

I guess there is a good reason for a little obvious markings on your gun that is covered with the holster but will stand out if it is pulled. So if they say a black gun and nothing else I would hope the cops will be smart enough to realize the jack wagon is lying.

Not being an idiot is the first thing
Second is walking away if ANYONE starts making a scene.
Avoid confrontation at all cost
CONCEALED means concealed. Don't let anyone know you carry.
:confused:dead men tell no tales:eek:
Only pull your gun to use it not to try to intimidate someone
I actually don't carry very much,or I should say didn't,because I wouldn't want the legal problems....unless it was for a family member.
For me? Whatever. I won't go along with your demands,and I will take action if necessary but I'm not supporting anyone so I don't feel the need.
You have to decide for yourself if carrying is worth...your life.. are you the sole provider for your family?... your child's life?your wife's life?...do you want your children's mothers life to be in jeopardy?
Again,for me,I'd have to be in a very dire straight to shoot someone. Unless my family is at stake

Last Edited:
Very sensible advice.

It also helps to understand probabilities. How likely is it that you will get in trouble for hauling a gun around? Conversely, how likely is it that you will need a gun when you don't have one?

Personally, I am no longer supporting a family; their welfare no longer depends on me. Also I'm old enough to understand I won't live forever - getting to be "nothing left to lose". And being old, I am more likely a target of the criminal element. All these things add up to me carrying when and where I please.

It's weird that men supporting a family have to worry more about cops than criminals. Why do we put up with this?

I guess there is a good reason for a little obvious markings on your gun that is covered with the holster but will stand out if it is pulled. So if they say a black gun and nothing else I would hope the cops will be smart enough to realize the jack wagon is lying.

Flourescent pink "plasti-dip" on the frame bellow the holster maybe? LOL

This brings up some interesting points, especially as it only takes one vengeful person to "claim" you did something and the burden of proof is then on you. It happens a lot, and a lot of us have had it happen to them. I am thankful I have not been in those types of situations so far, but I do carry all the time. I always try and retreat, and never tip my hand to the fact I may be armed, but I also do not take an aggressive stance, its better if every one just walks away and none the wiser!

A vengful person......
What did I do to make them want vengeance against me?
What should I do different as to not have these types in my life?
Yeah yeah I know,sometimes it's just something petty that has the other person wanting to make problems. But I try to think about this before my temper,or just my big mouth:eek: ,goes off.

I know exactly what you mean! What did I do to get the ire up? or am I just unlucky that day In the wrong place, the wrong time? The last thing I am going to do is provoke, so I walk away if possible!

Now here's one to think about.
A friend of a friend,out of the blue for him (he says),comes home to the sherif in his drive.
His wife had decided she wanted a divorce ,called the leo and told them he was dangerous ,please come get his guns and don't let him in the house
My friend believed his buddy was innocent,and did what he could to help.
Later down the road,the guy finds out she had forged his signature for a 25k credit card. Then it all fell apart for her. But it took 6? months to get his guns back and clear his name
Moral of the story is,if you might be having problems with the wifey, find a nice place to store your guns.

Aparently voice activated body cams with 3 hr recording capability are $50 on amazon, and they have really good reviews.

Besides that and traveling in a group, not consenting to searches and remaining silent until speaking with counsel seem to be a reasonable strategy.

Really starting to wonder if a gun is more risk than safety, especially in our screwed up legal system/society.

Really starting to wonder if a gun is more risk than safety, especially in our screwed up legal system/society.
Not where you live. If I still lived in King or Pierce county,I would at least have a gun in the truck all the time.
I was pretty good at staying out of areas I knew I might need a gun. Now if you are unfortunate enough to live in those type areas,federal way,rat city,most of Tacoma,and have a family to support,I believe it is worth the risk of carrying.
Plenty of folks around there that would love to get what you have,then go to your house for more

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top