JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a WA state permit but I'm confused as to what I can or cannot carry up there. Please no "concealed is concealed " BS. What actually is legal to carry? I've heard that standard mags are ok as long as they aren't staying when I leave. I'd prefer to carry my G45 with standard mags. Might have to defer to the G23 with 10s though. Anyone know for sure? Also what agency can be contacted for real answers?

WSP would be my suggestion as for who to contact. If you're still unsure, I would propose carrying your 10 round mags and remain well within the law and well away from gray areas and guesses

So I have a WA state permit but I'm confused as to what I can or cannot carry up there. Please no "concealed is concealed " BS. What actually is legal to carry? I've heard that standard mags are ok as long as they aren't staying when I leave. I'd prefer to carry my G45 with standard mags. Might have to defer to the G23 with 10s though. Anyone know for sure? Also what agency can be contacted for real answers?
This guy who is a Lawyer here has done a LOT of video info on this. Sure there is some info in one of them:
As for who to call as another poster mentioned WA State Patrol may help. One word of caution here is the people who answer the call, if they are willing to say, may not know either. This could well be the kind of thing where if you call several times you get conflicting answers. If for some reason you end up in front of a black robe they of course don't care who told you what sadly.
The " most safe" way would be of course just carry 10 round mags if you can't find a definitive answer you really trust.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorized in this section.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) The manufacture, importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine by a licensed firearms manufacturer for the purposes of sale to any branch of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its employees for law enforcement purposes;
(b) The importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal and state law for the purpose of sale to any branch of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its employees for law enforcement purposes;
(c) The distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine to or by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal and state law where the dealer acquires the large capacity magazine from a person legally authorized to possess or transfer the large capacity magazine for the purpose of selling or transferring the large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this state.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorized in this section.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) The manufacture, importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine by a licensed firearms manufacturer for the purposes of sale to any branch of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its employees for law enforcement purposes;
(b) The importation, distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal and state law for the purpose of sale to any branch of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, or to a law enforcement agency in this state for use by that agency or its employees for law enforcement purposes;
(c) The distribution, offer for sale, or sale of a large capacity magazine to or by a dealer that is properly licensed under federal and state law where the dealer acquires the large capacity magazine from a person legally authorized to possess or transfer the large capacity magazine for the purpose of selling or transferring the large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this state.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
As someone with a permit, you should know the laws that govern you.....

There are a lot of threads on this exact topic on this forum...
Do whatever you want to do, but I think the current law states that you can not legally bring a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds into Washington State.
(There is no legal way that I, a lifetime state resident, can bring one into the state, there is no loophole for nonresidents).
I personally am unaware of any instance where any person from anywhere has been charged by law enforcement of violating this since it went into effect.

I put very little faith in the accuracy of legal, financial or medical information provided by strangers on the internet (including myself).

I questioned it because grandfathered mags are still ok for residents and I have seen many posts about the definition of import. Many are saying if the magazines come and leave but aren't for sale or being left in the state then they're ok. I was hoping for clarification. I can carry multiple 10s but if on the off chance it's ok, I'd much rather carry the 17s.

I questioned it because grandfathered mags are still ok for residents and I have seen many posts about the definition of import. Many are saying if the magazines come and leave but aren't for sale or being left in the state then they're ok. I was hoping for clarification. I can carry multiple 10s but if on the off chance it's ok, I'd much rather carry the 17s.
I'm a resident so this is only my 2¢.

With everything so convoluted up here I (personally to be safe but that's me) would stick with 10 rounders unless you have a paid attorney tell you otherwise in writing.

Sheriff, PD and State might all think something different then the DA if you have to use it - the only time I would think it would even be questioned.

But that's just me if I were in your shoes (well…. I'd have 3 folding knives and a 2nd pistol but ya know lol).

The grandfather clause only applies to Wa. residents. The definition of import is hotly debated here, IMO it means a non resident cant travel into the state with one. My guess is the definition in the context of the law would have to be sorted out in case law, I don't recommend being that person.

personal use is part of the definition...

First, PERMIT (CPL) ONLY covers pistols, nothing else. Anything related to magazines has zip to do with a permit.

You can't bring any banned mags, unless you owned them before the law was passed and before you left the state.
Anything purchased out of state, becomes an imported item. Illegal, if banned.

Again, "Carry" only applies to the pistol.

The grandfather clause only applies to Wa. residents. The definition of import is hotly debated here, IMO it means a non resident cant travel into the state with one. My guess is the definition in the context of the law would have to be sorted out in case law, I don't recommend being that person.

personal use is part of the definition...
Using Webster (or dictionary.com) definition is never a good idea, especially since the relevant laws define "import" according to what will be enforced in WA.

This guy who is a Lawyer here has done a LOT of video info on this. Sure there is some info in one of them:
As for who to call as another poster mentioned WA State Patrol may help. One word of caution here is the people who answer the call, if they are willing to say, may not know either. This could well be the kind of thing where if you call several times you get conflicting answers. If for some reason you end up in front of a black robe they of course don't care who told you what sadly.
The " most safe" way would be of course just carry 10 round mags if you can't find a definitive answer you really trust.
I wrote the Attorney General and they wouldn't even give a legal opinion of the laws they enforce. The ONLY way to know for sure is to have it tested in court. And going to court with the "mary jane rot***** told me" is never a good defense. :s0123:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top