JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey everybody,

I was thinking about my worst possible scenario plan: what do I do if I wake up in the middle of the night and there's an uninvited guest downstairs? Obviously the ideal response is to barricade the family in the safe room, but what if I need to go down the hallway to get kids or someone is watching TV late at night downstairs? In that situation I need to leave the master bedroom, in which case I want a pistol, a spare mag or two, a flashlight, and a cell phone.

I realized I was going to run out of hands pretty quick so I made a special bag to hold the gear. I'm really happy with the result and I'm considering producing them. Before I pursue the idea I'd be curious to get people's feedback. Is this something that would be valuable to people? What could I do to make it better. Any input would be much appreciated.

Here's what it looks like:
View attachment 67599

And here's a video:
BITN bag - YouTube

You can see more at BITNbag.com.

Thanks.
This is why I bought a Tavor Sar 16. 30 round mag, flashlight mount, weapon is attached to me with sling, Aimpoint micro, and has a shorter profile then when I have a proper stance with my XDM40. I've done a lot of training with my hand gun. I do alright under stress, but when I do the same type of drills with a rifle I don't miss. Of course clearing your house with a shotgun, or rifle is a pain in the a@$ until you try it with a weapon like the Tavor. With the Tavor I can get right to the wall on a corner, and still keep a proper stance while cutting the pie. Because of the single point sling if I got ambushed they would have a lot harder time taking my weapon away with out killing me first.

All I see is an improvised garrote. I have a similar set up, but mine is a duty belt with an SRB so I can drop it if needed. That thing in the pic is NOT what you want when you're in grappling distance.

IMO, of course.

Figured I should add my reasoning;

1) No holster needed. You're responding to an intruder, that weapon should be out and at low-ready, not sitting idle.
2) No obstructions around your neck. That's the last thing you want when you may be dashing through the house or getting into hand to hand with some one.
3) Conservation of movement. How hard is it to divest yourself of that gadget one handed, under stress?

The man in the video is thinking, flat out. His thought process, regardless of using the product. To each his own is always best, military trained and veterans may think otherwise. I have some military pouches that get use is all sorts of work situations.

A customized version, or the ability for one to have options may make an entire new product line of accessories.

Think, think again.

Plate carrier or tactical vest could be loaded and on the back of a bedroom chair. Backup piece in molle holster, mags, cqb dagger, tape recorder also in a pouch. Security system with bedroom deployed flood lights and cctv monitors. I've been called many times to my restaurant at 3am for door sensor or motion alarm. I no longer clear it with a butter knife. A loaded vest or kit is a good idea. I've always wanted a big reflective velco back patch for the plate carrier that says "Don't Shoot - Good Guy".

Hey everybody,

I was thinking about my worst possible scenario plan: what do I do if I wake up in the middle of the night and there's an uninvited guest downstairs? Obviously the ideal response is to barricade the family in the safe room, but what if I need to go down the hallway to get kids or someone is watching TV late at night downstairs? In that situation I need to leave the master bedroom, in which case I want a pistol, a spare mag or two, a flashlight, and a cell phone.

I realized I was going to run out of hands pretty quick so I made a special bag to hold the gear. I'm really happy with the result and I'm considering producing them. Before I pursue the idea I'd be curious to get people's feedback. Is this something that would be valuable to people? What could I do to make it better. Any input would be much appreciated.

Here's what it looks like:
View attachment 67599

And here's a video:
BITN bag - YouTube

You can see more at BITNbag.com.

Thanks.

what NO Flip Flops

I think a US PALM DEFENDER (molle) is also a good idea and it also provides armor. I recommend the molle version because you can build it how you want/need it. I have one and I like it a lot.

This is just a rough idea of how you can have your vest set. Granted it might take an extra second to put on, but you gain armor in return.
2013-09-04004654_zpsaedf80a7.jpg

Since it's been mentioned about "clearing" a house and getting hte kids safe, I thought I'd share this vid. It's GunTalkTV's First Person Defender, great series on teh U tooobz (youtube).

This particular vid deals with a husband/wife team dealing with intruders, and how to get the child/children safe.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OlrGfhErqlg?list=PLscB-49EdZcuKOrDogPOGkeTde5OqGTT3" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Personally - I'm not so sure on the bag idea. As has been mentioned - I don't want anything around my neck or body unless it's my rifle sling- which has a quick detach buckle built in in case I need to get out of it PDQ.

If you really need to carry more than your gun/light - a vest makes more sense - something with body armor, maybe a mag or phone pouch attached to it. Bump in the night is quickly responding to an immediate threat. Get your gun, get your light, and get the kids safe as quick as possible - and fight from your designated "safe" place. You can always have your wife/partner handing you spare mags if you wind up in a prolonged firefight.

THe last thing you want to do is chase badguys around your house. You don't know, for sure, how many there are. You could easily wind up in a situation where you are clearing, chasing what you think is the only BG, and wind up taking one in the back or in the back of the head by his buddy - leaving your wife/children at the mercy of the killers.

IF you live in a multistory house - don't put your children on the ground floor if you can help it. Have your room on the ground - keep the kids upstairs. Take the room that puts your room between other most likely access points for intruders. Same if you're on a single floor home if you can. Put the kids in the "safer" rooms - keep yours between them and the main house.

Have a plan - include your wife/kids and make sure you talk about it with them, and communicate exactly what is expected of them should you have an intruder. Make sure your wife (and children that are old enough) know how to operate your firearms and your phone(s) - I know that sounds obvious, but it needs said.

Secure your family in one room - let the cops flush the badguys out. Shoot anyone who comes through that door before the cops arrive. Make sure 911 dispatch knows what room you/your family are in - and that you're armed - so they can pass the info along to responding officers.

Follow up to #14 - I put one of those chem lites on my house keys - if I have to toss them in the dark, I want the deputy to find them.

I do like the idea of a bag: I just have a fanny pack, it can sling over the shoulder, and it fits in the pistol safe.

FYI, we just had an incident of car prowlers rolling through our neighborhood. Nothing serious, they just took the change out of the center console in each car.

Couple days later, I thought they were at it again when I saw the car door of one of my neighbor's door open with nobody nearby. I grabbed my pistol, my wife's phone (mine needed charged) and scrounged hurridly for a flashlight. I then had to open my safe, grab my Golani that had a fixed flashlight on it, go to my ammo box, load a magazine, load the rifle and run out.

I immediately thought of this bag. A dedicated flashlight and pistol in it would have been very helpfull.

Mind you, I keep a loaded firearm always nearby. However, from some reason I couldn't find a flashlight.

FYI, we just had an incident of car prowlers rolling through our neighborhood. Nothing serious, they just took the change out of the center console in each car.

Couple days later, I thought they were at it again when I saw the car door of one of my neighbor's door open with nobody nearby. I grabbed my pistol, my wife's phone (mine needed charged) and scrounged hurridly for a flashlight. I then had to open my safe, grab my Golani that had a fixed flashlight on it, go to my ammo box, load a magazine, load the rifle and run out.

I immediately thought of this bag. A dedicated flashlight and pistol in it would have been very helpfull.

Mind you, I keep a loaded firearm always nearby. However, from some reason I couldn't find a flashlight.

i was recently thinking of this idea again too, my solution was to simply use a pistol belt. it takes just as long to throw it on as the shoulder strap bag but wont bounce around or change positions as easy. a plus side is buying used can be very cheap and its not difficult to position extra mags and a flashlight where you want them. in the end i just keep my handgun and flashlight next to my bed. i dont have any extra mags so carrying them is not an issue for me.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews