JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everybody,

I was thinking about my worst possible scenario plan: what do I do if I wake up in the middle of the night and there's an uninvited guest downstairs? Obviously the ideal response is to barricade the family in the safe room, but what if I need to go down the hallway to get kids or someone is watching TV late at night downstairs? In that situation I need to leave the master bedroom, in which case I want a pistol, a spare mag or two, a flashlight, and a cell phone.

I realized I was going to run out of hands pretty quick so I made a special bag to hold the gear. I'm really happy with the result and I'm considering producing them. Before I pursue the idea I'd be curious to get people's feedback. Is this something that would be valuable to people? What could I do to make it better. Any input would be much appreciated.

Here's what it looks like:
image (12).jpg

And here's a video:
BITN bag - YouTube

You can see more at BITNbag.com.

Thanks.

image (12).jpg

How big is your house that you need to provision yourself to clear it? My personal opinion is its way over kill. My Glock 17 holds 20 rounds and I have another mag that holds 19 that can be easily dropped into my PJ pants pocket. Flashlight in one hand hand gun in the other and wife on the phone.

Thanks for the feedback DieselScout, I appreciate it! I guess my thinking is preparedness. If I need to run down the hallway to grab a family member and bring them back to the master bedroom I hope I need to use 0 rounds. But if that's not the case and I need to reach to my hip, I want to know that I have everything necessary to do the task at hand. That's my whole reasoning for having something that I can easily throw over my shoulder and be geared up...especially since I don't sleep in PJ's!

There are already bags like that on the market you would have to compete with. I think they are called sneaky bags. You can blend in with everyone else and not be noticed. People just think you have a laptop.
<broken link removed>
I like this one because its made to hold alot of mags that you quickly access.
<broken link removed>

There are a number of chest pouch type rigs that are a hasty design meaning you throw them on and go. Holds magazine, flashlight and Israeli BattleDressing/tourniquet. The Shellback Go rig comes to mind as one of many pre existing designs.

the only thing i can think of that would make that practical, is if like he said, you have to carry a child to another room. i myself keep my handgun in a similar holster and a flashlight right next to it. i dont give a damn about my phone in that situation. ill just call after its done, if necessary.

if you use a long gun for hd, you could strap your extra ammo to the butt, with an elastic ammo band or velcro. then keep a light with it.

his idea isnt bad but it seems like strapping a gab you you would be an inconvenience if things got rough and tumble in a hand to hand fight. though if you can afford armor, it wouldnt be a bad idea to set it up as he did his bag.

To me, in my opinion, an already interior threat needs to be met and dealt with real fast. That means flashlight and gun and go. No time for putting on a holster, grabbing the cell phone or anything. There is simply not enough time to do that, nor is there a need. I go deal with the threat, wife calls 911 and sets off the car alarm, and then comes out with a shotgun. The majority of the public, even with minimal training is incapable of dealing with all the tactical aspects of an intrusion repulsion at night. 17 rounds in my pistol is going to have to do. If not, the fight is going south real fast.

If I did not have dogs, I would have an intrusion alarm system. Letting someone get that close or inside your house with out a pre - warning is the first security breach.

:s0114: it might confuse the hell out of your invader.

"lets not turn this burglary into a purse snatching"

Why arn't you just negligently discharging both barrels of your shotgun into the air like Uncle Joe said?

Anyways, I think your idea is a bit overkill for what's needed. I use something similar when camping or driving cross country, it's a M1 tanker holster, there's also the M3 that's a little more cumbersome to sleep in.

Here's a pic of the M1: <broken link removed>

I have a BITN bag, holds an extra flashlight, knife, extra mags (pistol and AR), ZipTies, etc....

I think those of you who think it is over kill, are not really thinking worst case scenario, home invasion with multiple attackers. My G19 holds 15+1 with a flashlight in one hand and a G19 in the other, where do I put the extra mag, extra flashlight, a knife, etc.....? how long would it take me to pick all that stuff up and put into the pockets I do not have on my sleepwear?

I also have seen a good idea I have not implemented yet, put a set of house keys and a floor plan into a baggie that you can throw out a window to police, so if you are barricaded in a room you can give them good intel and a way to get into the house without breaking down a door.

I am sure there are a number of other small items that would be good to have with you, it is a trade off, too much stuff and you have a hard time finding anything, too little and you are not really prepared.

I have a BITN bag, holds an extra flashlight, knife, extra mags (pistol and AR), ZipTies, etc....

I think those of you who think it is over kill, are not really thinking worst case scenario, home invasion with multiple attackers. My G19 holds 15+1 with a flashlight in one hand and a G19 in the other, where do I put the extra mag, extra flashlight, a knife, etc.....? how long would it take me to pick all that stuff up and put into the pockets I do not have on my sleepwear?

I also have seen a good idea I have not implemented yet, put a set of house keys and a floor plan into a baggie that you can throw out a window to police, so if you are barricaded in a room you can give them good intel and a way to get into the house without breaking down a door.

I am sure there are a number of other small items that would be good to have with you, it is a trade off, too much stuff and you have a hard time finding anything, too little and you are not really prepared.

Again, how big if your house you need zip ties and an extra flashlight to clear it?

I understand that everyone situation is different, and for people with kids this maybe the best solution. My wife and I do not have kids and we live in a single story 1300 square foot home. The Master is situated at the farthest away from any door. Basically if anyone is in my home, I can simply defend the master while the wife dials 911. There is plenty of firepower in the master to do that. If my flash light fails, my wife has one and we also have a hall light I can simply turn on. Short of that, the street lights do a very good job of lighting up the place as well.

Again, how big if your house you need zip ties and an extra flashlight to clear it?

I understand that everyone situation is different, and for people with kids this maybe the best solution. My wife and I do not have kids and we live in a single story 1300 square foot home. The Master is situated at the farthest away from any door. Basically if anyone is in my home, I can simply defend the master while the wife dials 911. There is plenty of firepower in the master to do that. If my flash light fails, my wife has one and we also have a hall light I can simply turn on. Short of that, the street lights do a very good job of lighting up the place as well.

Yep, I face totally different challenges, I am in the country, 3200 square feet with a detached garage. nearest neighbor is 70+ yards away, and there is only one...so no street lights.

guessing the police would take a good 15-20 minutes to get here on a good day....

No Kids also, and the plan is basically the same, but what if the BG decide to smoke us out, or are vandals as well and start a fire just for fun? I can not count on hunkering down as the only option.

From what I have seen, home invasions are fast and violent, so I want as many options as possible.

Thanks for the input addiction. I really like the 'floorplan and keys in a ziplock' idea. Might have to use that.

My thinking is the same: more options the better, as long as it doesn't add time. For a long time I had the grab-and-go mentality but I thought what would happen if I was in a situation where 17 rounds wasn't enough? That's really not that many when you read about typical force encounters, plus going to Threat Dynamics really opened my eyes (and made me rethink carrying an LCP with only one mag). Or what if I have to carry someone down the hallway towards the master bedroom? If I can spend two seconds throwing something over my shoulder and dramatically increase the situations I'm prepared to confront, it's worth it to me.

Hey everybody,

I was thinking about my worst possible scenario plan: what do I do if I wake up in the middle of the night and there's an uninvited guest downstairs? Obviously the ideal response is to barricade the family in the safe room, but what if I need to go down the hallway to get kids or someone is watching TV late at night downstairs? In that situation I need to leave the master bedroom, in which case I want a pistol, a spare mag or two, a flashlight, and a cell phone.

I realized I was going to run out of hands pretty quick so I made a special bag to hold the gear. I'm really happy with the result and I'm considering producing them. Before I pursue the idea I'd be curious to get people's feedback. Is this something that would be valuable to people? What could I do to make it better. Any input would be much appreciated.

Here's what it looks like:
View attachment 67599

And here's a video:
BITN bag - YouTube

You can see more at BITNbag.com.

Thanks.

I like it and I don't. The key with having provisions is to keep it in a centralized location so that you know where you can find it...which this bag does. However, is this just a "nightstand only" thing or do you carry this bag wherever you go? I like Every Day Carry (EDC) bags and this fits the bill nicely. Nevertheless, all you really need for a room search (in my opinion) is a gun and a flashlight.

Do you charge that cell phone in the bag like that? Would defeat the purpose of having the bag if you remove the cell phone to charge it at night, wouldn't it?

People real should get an alarm system, it can run 30 to 50 bucks a month. That's a far less cost than I spend on ammo at the range every month. And if you don't spend time and money at the range regularly, then clearing your home with family members in it, might be better served with a baseball bat. Most current security systems have sensors on all possible entrances, and alert you if one has been breached, even if the alarm isn't set.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top