JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, for instance I just bought a case of 00 buck from a member here. It's 250 rounds. Not only is it in its case, but each box of 5 is also boxed with 5 other boxes. It takes quite a bit of digging just to get out a box of 5 and then I have to open that box.

I'm thinking of opening it all up and dumping everything loose into an ammo can so I can get it quickly. However, if I ever get over supplied and want to sell it, I don't imagine it would be worth as much as it is in its original packaging.

I have the same issue with lots of other ammo. I've already dumped out a lot of .22lr but that's no big deal. It's when I get to a case that cost me $200 - $400 that I begin to wonder.

What do you do with this dilemma?

For me it depends on what I have. If it is Factory ammo that I plan on just storing long term I will leave it in the box and put it in an ammo can for safe storage. If it is plinking ammo that I have reloaded usually in lots of 1000, it just gets dumped into an ammo can loose. I do however make sure that all the ammo in the can is loaded to the exact same specs to keep things consistent with no surprises.

I also keep a number of magazines loaded (.45 in mag pouches & .223 in bandoleers) that I take to the range and use weekly. They are also at the ready at home in case of a Zombie attack in the middle of the night.

I stack boxes inside my ammo cans. Unless the ammo stashed is reloaded... then I stack them in the plastic Berry's cases, inside an ammo can. If I had a very good seal, and a LOT of ammo, then I would store it loose (did that with a bunch of 7.62x54R).

OK, I need another safe, coming soon. Here are two cases - 2,000 rounds - of XM193 5.56. This is easy for me to get to because it isn't boxed within the cases.

Is it less obvious to a burglar than it would be in ammo cans? Should I just mix it among my other non-gun junk and hope for the best until the new safe arrives?

Are ammo cans a red flag?

SDC10141.jpg

I am a big fan of hiding things in plain sight and don't think those plain dirty white boxes would get a second look stacked on a shelf in my garage, but I'm no thief so I could be wrong.

As for an ammo can being a red flag, even as a kid playing in my grandpa's shop I knew ammo cans were usually always filled with treasure.

I don't have a whole lot of ammo, but I keep all of my ammo in factory boxes in ammo cans with desicant packs. I keep one full thirty cal can for each of my guns as a minimum. I do have a couple cases of 2 1/2" low pressure 12 guage shells for one of my old shotguns, and I keep those in a corner of a closet.

I try and strike a balance between having ammo that's sealed and boxed for long-term storage and some that's on hand for immediate use -- loose and in loaded magazines or speed-loaders. I also think hiding ammo in plan sight out of a traditional ammo can makes sense -- that and packing the safe 'till it's brimming.

-muddy

In original boxes, nicely stacked inside the safe...

Don't reload but keep all trays for when I get them reloaded.

Most 7.62x39 stays in it's original 20 rd boxes and stored in 'fat' fifties. My 12g I keep in it's 5 rd boxes and stuffed in ammo cans of various sizes. If I where you, I would keep the 12g in the 5 rd boxes, easier to pull out and track quantities and if you had to barter it, it looks better.

As long as you have your bills paid and there is a cleared path to the toilet, no such thing as too much ammo.

SF-

My ammo usually stays in it's factory packaging, and I keep it in ammo cans or any other container that is handy. The only exceptions are a few AK mags I keep loaded, my nightstand pistol with 2 loaded mags, and all my .30-06 is loaded in Garand clips and in bandoleers.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews