Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What do you store you ammo in - loose or boxed?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Gunner3456, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

OK, for instance I just bought a case of 00 buck from a member here. It's 250 rounds. Not only is it in its case, but each box of 5 is also boxed with 5 other boxes. It takes quite a bit of digging just to get out a box of 5 and then I have to open that box.

I'm thinking of opening it all up and dumping everything loose into an ammo can so I can get it quickly. However, if I ever get over supplied and want to sell it, I don't imagine it would be worth as much as it is in its original packaging.

I have the same issue with lots of other ammo. I've already dumped out a lot of .22lr but that's no big deal. It's when I get to a case that cost me $200 - $400 that I begin to wonder.

What do you do with this dilemma?

2. Konad

Konad Portland Oregon Member

I buy 12G in bulk like you and dump it into ammo cans. The rest i leave in boxes inside my ammo cans.

3. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

For me it depends on what I have. If it is Factory ammo that I plan on just storing long term I will leave it in the box and put it in an ammo can for safe storage. If it is plinking ammo that I have reloaded usually in lots of 1000, it just gets dumped into an ammo can loose. I do however make sure that all the ammo in the can is loaded to the exact same specs to keep things consistent with no surprises.

I also keep a number of magazines loaded (.45 in mag pouches & .223 in bandoleers) that I take to the range and use weekly. They are also at the ready at home in case of a Zombie attack in the middle of the night.

4. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Greater Seattle Area Member

I stack boxes inside my ammo cans. Unless the ammo stashed is reloaded... then I stack them in the plastic Berry's cases, inside an ammo can. If I had a very good seal, and a LOT of ammo, then I would store it loose (did that with a bunch of 7.62x54R).

5. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

OK, I need another safe, coming soon. Here are two cases - 2,000 rounds - of XM193 5.56. This is easy for me to get to because it isn't boxed within the cases.

Is it less obvious to a burglar than it would be in ammo cans? Should I just mix it among my other non-gun junk and hope for the best until the new safe arrives?

Are ammo cans a red flag?

SDC10141.jpg

6. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

I am a big fan of hiding things in plain sight and don’t think those plain dirty white boxes would get a second look stacked on a shelf in my garage, but I’m no thief so I could be wrong.

As for an ammo can being a red flag, even as a kid playing in my grandpa’s shop I knew ammo cans were usually always filled with treasure.

7. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

alll my ammo is in ammo cans.. seems to easy to use

8. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I hide my ammo in my guns ;)

If it's factory, I keep it in their original boxes. I don't reload yet, but I'm saving brass in ammo cans for when I do reload.

9. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I don't have a whole lot of ammo, but I keep all of my ammo in factory boxes in ammo cans with desicant packs. I keep one full thirty cal can for each of my guns as a minimum. I do have a couple cases of 2 1/2" low pressure 12 guage shells for one of my old shotguns, and I keep those in a corner of a closet.

10. MuddyWatters

MuddyWatters West Seattle Member

I try and strike a balance between having ammo that's sealed and boxed for long-term storage and some that's on hand for immediate use -- loose and in loaded magazines or speed-loaders. I also think hiding ammo in plan sight out of a traditional ammo can makes sense -- that and packing the safe 'till it's brimming.

-muddy

11. Zak

Zak Snohomish County New Member

What does over supplied mean? That's possible?

I keep it like it comes, boxed stays boxed then into plastic totes, loose goes into cans if it didn't come that way.
    Zak

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

In original boxes, nicely stacked inside the safe...

Don't reload but keep all trays for when I get them reloaded.

13. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

Commercial ammo stays nice and neatly stacked in it's boxes, while my reloads are bulk bag sealed and placed in ammo cans.

14. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Most 7.62x39 stays in it's original 20 rd boxes and stored in 'fat' fifties. My 12g I keep in it's 5 rd boxes and stuffed in ammo cans of various sizes. If I where you, I would keep the 12g in the 5 rd boxes, easier to pull out and track quantities and if you had to barter it, it looks better.

As long as you have your bills paid and there is a cleared path to the toilet, no such thing as too much ammo.

SF-

15. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

My ammo usually stays in it's factory packaging, and I keep it in ammo cans or any other container that is handy. The only exceptions are a few AK mags I keep loaded, my nightstand pistol with 2 loaded mags, and all my .30-06 is loaded in Garand clips and in bandoleers.

16. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

All in factory boxes inside ammo cans inside the safe. What I really need now is a bigger safe!

17. ak56

ak56 Carnation, Wa Active Member

18. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

Being that I load most of my ammo I put it in ammo cans. Factory ammo like 22's, 17's and shotgun shells I leave in factory boxes.

19. Bruce

Bruce Jefferson County, Wa Member

I keep all my ammo in .30 Cal and .50 Ca. ammo cans in its original packaging, except for a few cans of ammo loaded on stripper clips in bandoleers.

20. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I store my ammo in strippers............