JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, for instance I just bought a case of 00 buck from a member here. It's 250 rounds. Not only is it in its case, but each box of 5 is also boxed with 5 other boxes. It takes quite a bit of digging just to get out a box of 5 and then I have to open that box.

I'm thinking of opening it all up and dumping everything loose into an ammo can so I can get it quickly. However, if I ever get over supplied and want to sell it, I don't imagine it would be worth as much as it is in its original packaging.

I have the same issue with lots of other ammo. I've already dumped out a lot of .22lr but that's no big deal. It's when I get to a case that cost me $200 - $400 that I begin to wonder.

What do you do with this dilemma?

For me it depends on what I have. If it is Factory ammo that I plan on just storing long term I will leave it in the box and put it in an ammo can for safe storage. If it is plinking ammo that I have reloaded usually in lots of 1000, it just gets dumped into an ammo can loose. I do however make sure that all the ammo in the can is loaded to the exact same specs to keep things consistent with no surprises.

I also keep a number of magazines loaded (.45 in mag pouches & .223 in bandoleers) that I take to the range and use weekly. They are also at the ready at home in case of a Zombie attack in the middle of the night.

I stack boxes inside my ammo cans. Unless the ammo stashed is reloaded... then I stack them in the plastic Berry's cases, inside an ammo can. If I had a very good seal, and a LOT of ammo, then I would store it loose (did that with a bunch of 7.62x54R).

OK, I need another safe, coming soon. Here are two cases - 2,000 rounds - of XM193 5.56. This is easy for me to get to because it isn't boxed within the cases.

Is it less obvious to a burglar than it would be in ammo cans? Should I just mix it among my other non-gun junk and hope for the best until the new safe arrives?

Are ammo cans a red flag?

SDC10141.jpg

I am a big fan of hiding things in plain sight and don't think those plain dirty white boxes would get a second look stacked on a shelf in my garage, but I'm no thief so I could be wrong.

As for an ammo can being a red flag, even as a kid playing in my grandpa's shop I knew ammo cans were usually always filled with treasure.

I don't have a whole lot of ammo, but I keep all of my ammo in factory boxes in ammo cans with desicant packs. I keep one full thirty cal can for each of my guns as a minimum. I do have a couple cases of 2 1/2" low pressure 12 guage shells for one of my old shotguns, and I keep those in a corner of a closet.

I try and strike a balance between having ammo that's sealed and boxed for long-term storage and some that's on hand for immediate use -- loose and in loaded magazines or speed-loaders. I also think hiding ammo in plan sight out of a traditional ammo can makes sense -- that and packing the safe 'till it's brimming.

-muddy

In original boxes, nicely stacked inside the safe...

Don't reload but keep all trays for when I get them reloaded.

Most 7.62x39 stays in it's original 20 rd boxes and stored in 'fat' fifties. My 12g I keep in it's 5 rd boxes and stuffed in ammo cans of various sizes. If I where you, I would keep the 12g in the 5 rd boxes, easier to pull out and track quantities and if you had to barter it, it looks better.

As long as you have your bills paid and there is a cleared path to the toilet, no such thing as too much ammo.

SF-

My ammo usually stays in it's factory packaging, and I keep it in ammo cans or any other container that is handy. The only exceptions are a few AK mags I keep loaded, my nightstand pistol with 2 loaded mags, and all my .30-06 is loaded in Garand clips and in bandoleers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top