JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I to need another safe. I try to keep ammo in factory packaging but I've acouple thousand 223's that I bought when eveything was getting tight and they are in ammo cans. I try to store the boxes in ammo cans to but I need more. I find the plastic boxes from Cabelas to have a better seal than the ones from Sportsmans Guide.

OK, for instance I just bought a case of 00 buck from a member here. It's 250 rounds. Not only is it in its case, but each box of 5 is also boxed with 5 other boxes. It takes quite a bit of digging just to get out a box of 5 and then I have to open that box.

I'm thinking of opening it all up and dumping everything loose into an ammo can so I can get it quickly. However, if I ever get over supplied and want to sell it, I don't imagine it would be worth as much as it is in its original packaging.

I have the same issue with lots of other ammo. I've already dumped out a lot of .22lr but that's no big deal. It's when I get to a case that cost me $200 - $400 that I begin to wonder.

What do you do with this dilemma?

Surplus ammo cans.

I store my ammo in strippers............

Wouldn't that make the rounds kind of sticky? :huh: :s0114:

Well, I don't just leave my rounds laying around, they are boxed in one way or another. Usually in ammo cans but for my surplus stuff that I'm not shooting up they're usually in bulk boxes. I have very few rounds in boxes with the little plastic trays.

I buy 12G in bulk like you and dump it into ammo cans. The rest i leave in boxes inside my ammo cans.

x2.

Except for shotgun shells, and even with some shotgun shells such as TAP ammo I keep my ammo in its original packaging in airtight containers such as ammo boxes or the plastic ones like you can get at Wally-World, Cabelas, etc. These type of containers are nice in that they have an upper tray that can hold misc loose ammo, choke tubes, etc.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_217153_imageset_01?$main-Large$

I just weighed all my ammo boxes today... 200lbs. I need to do some more stocking up. :)

I'm reading and digesting. Thanks for all of the ideas.

I just have this fear that ammo cans are a dead giveaway to a thief. If I do that, maybe I'll put those in ugly old cardboard boxes?????????

I do like the idea of breaking my new case of 12 ga 00 buckshot down to individual boxes which are still 5 shot retail boxes, and then just dumping out enough to feel "ready." The 5 shot retail boxes should still hold their value and not be too hard to open.

Ammo goes in ammo cans. That's why they are called ammo cans. I usually have a handfull of buckshot, and a couple mags loaded, on a shelf ready to go. Otherwise all ammo and powder is in ammo cans. Some is factory boxed, some is on stripper clips. Cans keep it dry and cool.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top