JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've picked up a lot of brass during my last two trips to the Wolf Creek range, most of it left by previous shooters. Is there someplace I can take it to be recycled or scrapped, preferably in Washington County? Thanks!

Why not post it for sale here?? Re-use is way better than recycling and you can get a couple of bucks for your trouble, probably more than you can for scrap.

Or offer it free in the pay it forward thread if you don't want to deal with selling it. There are folks here that would really appreciate the brass, and as Lilhigbee says, reuse is always better than recycling.

Eventually brass does "die" and need recycling, so here is what I do:

In my shop I always have a cleaned out gallon milk jug placed in an out of the way spot; this is for used up brass. As I come across worn out cases they are dropped into the jug. The jug takes very little space and is easy to move out of the way if needed. When full it goes to the recycler.

It's not much money, but the jug sits nicely in my vehicle's trunk (put a cap back on it) until I find myself nearing a recycling facility and can make a quick and easy stop. I never make a dedicate run for such a small amount.

.22 LR brass goes into the jug pretty easily with a funnel. Spent primers go in too, as the anvil and cup are made of brass. It's only a little bit, but it all helps. If you mix in spent primers and .22LR cases with larger brass it fills the spaces between the larger cases and you might be surprised by just how much weigh you can fit in a single jug.

Last Edited:
A gallon plastic milk container stuffed tight holds about 10# of brass and recycles for between $1 and $2 a pound depending on how far they are from a main recycle center. They prefer nickle cases separated out from yellow brass. I find that brass for reloaders isn't worth much unless sorted and clean and probably not worth time or shipping charges to sell. Of course the reloader would not have any history on unknown range brass. Look in a phone book for closest recyclers. I have a couple oldtimers who collect brass for recycle where I shoot and just leave it for them or save it for them and they give me $1 a pound.

At one of the Ranges where I shoot goes to the Juniors Program. Especially from the Indoor Range which is .22 Rimfire Only. I ran the Juniors Program for 8 years even though I don't have any of my own. It was enough for their Targets which is something that can add up pretty quickly.

I guess I should have said that you could donate it to a Juniors Program or maybe Boy Scouts in your area.:):):)

I take mine to Far West Recycling in Hillsboro, although they have other outlets. Got $241 for the last brass I sold them, although I must admit I had a lot of it. I think they paid something like $1.69 a pound for it.

Last Edited:
yeah if you google 'brass recycling portland' you'll find a couple places that buy it. Otherwise I would offer it to reloaders, is what I did last time I was at Wolf Creek. It would be nice if we had a brass can up there shooters could deposit their spent brass in after cleanup and reloader's could just take at will first come first serve.

It wouldn't hurt to call the recycling place a head of time to get the most recent yellow brass prices. That way you know what to expect when you weigh in cause sometimes the guy that weighs it might not be up on the recent price per pound.
I know this cause it happened to me it was about an extra ten bucks. Just throwing it out there.

It wouldn't hurt to call the recycling place a head of time to get the most recent yellow brass prices. That way you know what to expect when you weigh in cause sometimes the guy that weighs it might not be up on the recent price per pound.
I know this cause it happened to me it was about an extra ten bucks. Just throwing it out there.
The guy that weighed mine just gave me a slip stating the weight, the girl in the office is the one that figured it out price wise. But a good suggestion to check prices before you go in.

The guy that Weighed my brass also figured out what was owed to me and I noticed that it didn't jive with the price that I had gotten when I called the office and when I went into the office the gal had to go check with her boss to see if that was the current price for yellow brass because he is the one who I guess I talk to on the phone and got the current price. The price changes like daily seriously daily and the price that he used when he weighed my brass was like four or five days old. I don't know if that's how they make a little extra money figuring that Most people Dont get the current price so they let it slide and Until they get called on it or until it goes in a direction that makes them lose money or it was a simple mistake.

With this brass were talking about here, what's this, recycle, term mean? I'm only familiar with the term "reload" when speaking of handgun/rifle brass. o_O

Mikej,
Its like recycling cans.... But brass is worth more than aluminum. (I think). Scrapyards will buy it from you.

Used to trade it to a company that makes reloads for ammo. Recently found out that the12 year old or so son of the gun shop owner here in Vernonia pays a buck a pound then sorts and sells it. I'd rather help the kid out.

Used to trade it to a company that makes reloads for ammo. Recently found out that the12 year old or so son of the gun shop owner here in Vernonia pays a buck a pound then sorts and sells it. I'd rather help the kid out.

The real question here is; There's a gun shop in Vernonia?? You talking about Ace, or some hole in the wall I've missed?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top