JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A lot of people think I shoot a lot, but really I like to shoot a lot of different types of guns and calibers. I shoot an average of 250 to 1000 rounds a month. Sometimes a lot more if a friend comes over, we can shoot 500 to 1000 rounds in a day, but I shoot on my own property anytime I want. That's an exception to my normal habits of 250 to 1000 rounds a month.

What do you think is a lot, and how many rounds do you average a month?

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing precision rifle stuff, 200 rounds over the course 2 or 3 days is normal.

If I'm doing pistol training, 250 in a day is normal.

If I'm just burning down the hillside with gun fire, 500 to 1000 isn't uncommon in a day or so.

So, a lot? Hmm. Maybe 1500 to 2000 rounds in a day?

"A Lot" is a subjective concept to me. Big centerfire at a buck per round, or an econo-brick of .22?

There's also the matter of how often I go. Living on property where you can shoot daily without burning a drop of gas must be very cool. I want to do that too, in boxers and mud boots if I feel like it. It's in the master plan.

In the shooting-at-home scenario, I might be more inclined to plink 20-100 rounds and call it good, as opposed to dragging along a half-dozen calibers because it's been over a month. You never know... it might equal out to about the same number per year.

Enough to where you can throw 3 clay pigeons by hand and take em all out with a pump action :s0155: Generally when I go shooting my long guns I burn through 100 shotgun shells, 20-30 shots out of each hunting rifle , 50-100 out of my AR, and if I bring some of my .22's I'll put a few hundred rounds down range with them. When I shoot my pistols bare minimum 200 rnds but usually 500-700.

I'm lucky if I can shoot 150-250 rounds a month. I'm a 22 year old college student starting grad school and my current living arrangement is not reloading friendly. My carry piece is also a .40 so 250 rounds is roughly $72 after shipping from freedom munitions and $72 is a ton of money to me right now. My .380 hasn't been fired since I retired it as a carry piece, however, I do get to go bust clays at least once a month but that's becoming less enjoyable as the weather declines.

I dry fire a lot in order to compensate the low monthly round count and because it's crucial as an exercise regardless.

I can only wait for the time in my life where 1,000 to 2,000 rounds a month is routine.

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing precision rifle stuff, 200 rounds over the course 2 or 3 days is normal.

If I'm doing pistol training, 250 in a day is normal.

If I'm just burning down the hillside with gun fire, 500 to 1000 isn't uncommon in a day or so.

So, a lot? Hmm. Maybe 1500 to 2000 rounds in a day?

Guess I'll need my boots for this thread:s0155:

"A Lot" is a subjective concept to me. Big centerfire at a buck per round, or an econo-brick of .22?

There's also the matter of how often I go. Living on property where you can shoot daily without burning a drop of gas must be very cool. I want to do that too, in boxers and mud boots if I feel like it. It's in the master plan.

In the shooting-at-home scenario, I might be more inclined to plink 20-100 rounds and call it good, as opposed to dragging along a half-dozen calibers because it's been over a month. You never know... it might equal out to about the same number per year.

You know I didn't think about it until your comment. I shoot less rounds per session but shoot a lot of days per month. In fact I shoot an average of every other day. Really. I took my cat and pushed up back stops around the place, that always have targets in place. I get out of my truck and draw my concealed carry and shoot 1, or sometimes dump the mag to stay in practice. I thought the wife was gone and dumped my mag while driving the mower back to the shed. That got me a funny look when I came in the house. It's fun to shoot from a moving machine. I do the same thing from my quad sometimes.
I have gone outside and shot guns in my slippers and underwear. Picture early morning on your day off, you just put a gun back together, or pushed a new set of sights on to a pistol and you want to see how it works. I even shoot at night a lot as that is when your most likely to need to shoot. If its really raining I don't even go outside. I open the porch door and let it rip.
If you like guns and shooting as much as I do, it is a paradise if your wife doesn't mind, and mine usually doesn't. There are downsides to living in the middle of nowhere, but it's well worth it to me.

So I guess I do shoot a lot, even if I don't average a huge # of rounds per month. I forgot about the days of having to plan to go shooting. Then having to pack a bunch of guns and ammo all at once to some place and get my gun time in.

You know I didn't think about it until your comment. I shoot less rounds per session but shoot a lot of days per month. In fact I shoot an average of every other day. Really. I took my cat and pushed up back stops around the place, that always have targets in place. I get out of my truck and draw my concealed carry and shoot 1, or sometimes dump the mag to stay in practice. I thought the wife was gone and dumped my mag while driving the mower back to the shed. That got me a funny look when I came in the house. It's fun to shoot from a moving machine. I do the same thing from my quad sometimes.
I have gone outside and shot guns in my slippers and underwear. Picture early morning on your day off, you just put a gun back together, or pushed a new set of sights on to a pistol and you want to see how it works. I even shoot at night a lot as that is when your most likely to need to shoot. If its really raining I don't even go outside. I open the porch door and let it rip.
If you like guns and shooting as much as I do, it is a paradise if your wife doesn't mind, and mine usually doesn't. There are downsides to living in the middle of nowhere, but it's well worth it to me.

So I guess I do shoot a lot, even if I don't average a huge # of rounds per month. I forgot about the days of having to plan to go shooting. Then having to pack a bunch of guns and ammo all at once to some place and get my gun time in.

Now you're just teasing all of us!

It's truly subjective. Anyone that shoots more rounds than I do at any giving time, is shooting a lot! I either need to be adopted, or given a MUCH bigger allowance.

Anyone looking to adopt a 55 year old, easy going, not often cranky (but when I am, stay clear), decent cook, that knows how to put the seat down (in case there are women using the same bathroom), and has been known to actually use a toilet brush at least once a month? Adoptive parent(s) need to shower me with endless rounds to shoot, at least until I can't stand the smell of gun smoke, and a place to rest my weary head when I am tired of pulling the trigger.:s0155:

I also live where I can just let'er rip. I shoot around 100 rounds of 12 gauge, 1500 rounds of .22, 250 of .223 out of a bolt gun 100 9mm, 100 .40... I just got a ar15, a CETME and a 1911 along with 2 progressive presses so the 223, 45 and 308 numbers are gonna jump. My wife doesnt care as long as I dont shoot from in the house.lol. She hates stepping on 22 shells... When someone comes over theres no telling what is gonna happen maybe 100 rounds maybe 2000. I just wish I had more than 100 yards to shoot at my place. If I walk or ride the horses about a mile I have a 300 yard spot on the blm land behind my house though.. Before I moved out of the city I would go shooting 1-2 times a month and take a whole pickup bed full of guns and ammo with me.I would shoot till my wife was rolling her eyes and starting to twitch. lol. Now I can shoot every day if I want. I definitely have my favorites to shoot. Model 60 and a Rem 700 26' bull in.223 being 2 of them. Some times I go up to the blm spot and just lay there prone for hours lobbing 22's at steel. I do wish the tweekers would quit stealing my steel. Packing that stuff in sucks. I started taking it down and hiding it but they still find it every now and then. Bubblegummers...

I love to shoot as much as the next guy, but the cost of ammo has slowed me down a lot. I still shoot up a lot of 22 ammo but not so much 45 long colt, 44 mag/special and others that I don't reload.

My favorite round is 45 ACP by far and I will reload up several thousand rounds and then just go crazy shooting up my stash until its all gone. Plan to load up some more this winter come to think of it.

I hate to whine but my 9 mm used to cost me less than $8 per box, and not that long ago. Now its about double that so every trip to the range these days cost a few bucks.

I was holding my old CZ-75 (pre b, as they should be) and thinking to myself how I used burn through a case or two of 500 rounds on a slow month with just this gun, not to mention the other guns in the safe.
Now... 4 kids later, go through maybe 50 rounds a month on average.

"a lot" has changed for me. That being said, I'd not want to be on the business end of that CZ if my kids safety were in danger.... I've had literally 20k rounds down that barrel. It's an extension of myself.

My 30-30 on the other hand... Cost a lot more to shoot. My 45-70 even more. "a lot" is what it cost now :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top