JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm continuing with my 3-day a week workouts. It's been almost 2 full months since my 6-week or so hiatus due to illness. I'm about back to where I was before I had to take that illness break in May and June. Changed some routines a bit and I'm happy with the progress. I haven't seen many pounds shed, but I do suspect some fat has been replaced with muscle as I have definitely increased some muscle mass while dropping just a few pounds. One of these days I'll probably need to focus on a weight loss regimen to see if I can trim down just a bit. Otherwise, it's going well and I'm happy with the extra energy and strength. This is the longest I've maintained regular workouts in years.

2FF37524-2CC5-4859-934B-F4AFD93E4AA9.jpeg

I got in over an hour with the Beast Bros. This morning. Hit a rough patch this spring with exercise but I'm back into a good routine again. I'll write more a little later on.

Finally... clean air!

Driving home from Tigard last night (Thursday), Mrs. Teflon and I could clearly see the coast range for the first time in a couple weeks, and a thick wall of air pollution to the south. Siri reported "Good" air quality (50) at our place, and "Unhealthy" (156) where my sister lives in West Salem. Thankfully, that all blew away overnight - we're rated at 16 here today and 19 in Salem. Way mo betta.

My point? My aging body really noticed the strange new activity this morning when I took my first bike ride in two weeks. Slinging weights in the basement breathing filtered HVAC air just won't open up the lungs like a good bike ride or jog.

I hope everyone here can get outside at least a little bit this weekend!

Last Edited:
Cranked out some smooth pavement miles on my bicycle today using Mrs. Teflon's heart rate monitor for the first time. I tried different paces to compare the feel of my breathing/legs with what the watch was telling me. On a long steady uphill, I sustained my max number +/- 2. It was interesting to have a gadget telling me what my heart was actually doing.

Then, coasting at 35mph down the other side, I assumed the guy coming uphill toward me would turn left directly in front of me and cut me off, which he did. I followed him a few yards into a parking lot, we had words, he was wrong and he knew it, and he split instead of parking there.

Max heart rate +17. Thanks Dick! LOL.

I blasted my back, arms and chest last night at 6:00 or so. Hard enough to feel sore already by 9:00 this morning.

The lesson learned was not timing my meals sensibly. I was starving right before the workout (feeling sort of "hollow," stomach growling), so I ate something with a glass of milk on my way down to the bench. Guess I was digesting while I lifted.

End result was feeling rather sick to my stomach with shaking hands for 30 minutes after I was done. Prefer to digest at least 1-2 hours before I exercise and then eat well right after. YMMV, but I didn't enjoy how I felt at all and will pay closer attention in the future to what time I last ate.

I have seen lots of theorys on when to eat before a work out, including to only work on on a fast (ie in the AM before breakfast)

But good to you to figure that out.

I like to have something 2-3 hours before a workout ( like some fruit, egg, carrots) but not a meal.

My usual work out is at 1730

If I have not been drinking, water, then it is worse for me than not eating.

Can we get stronger after age 50 or 60? - Maggie's Farm

((( possible less than SFW in the side bar )
Can you get up off the floor without using your hands? If not you could be heading for an early grave | Daily Mail Online
Dr Araújo said: 'Our study also shows that maintaining high levels of body flexibility, muscle strength, power-to-body weight ratio and co-ordination are not only good for performing daily activities but have a favourable influence on life expectancy.'

Claudio Gil Araujo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 6 years ago
As the leading author of the "Ability to sit and rise from the floor ...", I am very pleased to note the interest brought by the study. I am also glad in observing the comments posted by the readers. I should say yes, it is quite feasible to sit and rise from the floor using just one hand. Placing more study¿s data on the table, about 50% (974 out of 2002) subjects in our sample (men and women 51-80 y-o) did it! From those 131 subjects that scored 10 (very rare for those over 70 years old), only 2 died in the median follow-up of 6 years (all-cause mortality = 0.2%/year). In contrast, those 311 scoring from 0 to 3 had a 19.6% death rate, that is ± 3%/year, a substantial increased risk, but still, > 1 chance in 5 to die in the next 6 years. So, dear readers do not get desperate for not being able to sit and rise from the floor using, at most, one hand support, but it might be a great opportunity to recognize that you could exercise more and/or eat less. See your doctor for advice.

Last Edited:
Working from 8 AM to 11 PM as the only cart pusher today... On my second lunch that they forced me to take. Honestly, the second lunch is what is killing me. I would have been better without it!

Just punched out 70 curls with the 40's. First time since my safe moving incident in January. Man, that felt good.

And no, not 70 in a row. In sets boys. :D

15, 15, 10, 10, 10, 10. 2 minutes in between times on my phone.

And no pain!

Went to do my regular workout yesterday morning, man, I did not feel good. Slept like crap the night before, stomach was queezy, felt just generally not well that morning (my workout starts at about 4:45am), and really, really didn't want to work out. But I pushed through it and about half-way through the workout, actually started feeling better. By the time I was in the shower afterward, I felt my regular self again. I'm glad I didn't give in to the crummy feeling, because it was so worth it to feel that after-workout feeling the next few hours.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top