JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a new job at a new school...I get to walk a lot thru my day now....also throughout the day there are stairs to climb.
Not too bad...but my legs are tight...I expect that that will go away as my body adjusts to its new routine.
Andy

9 week walking challenge thru my employer, my totals
Before starting this, I was walking about 2500 steps/day.

upload_2018-10-28_21-0-59.png

Friday I got 4x1 chin-ups. 4 sets of 1 ea . About 2 seconds between - feet on ground. I have not yet strung together movements.
Close, but no strict, pulls ups. yet.

Got 100 pushups in.
12 sets EMOM (every minute on the minute, start a new set)
- 18 pushups in 1st set, then less 12, 10, 5 etc. followed by rest until the next minute. I ran out of time with the first set.
In 12 mins total.

I have reduced my walking, down to about 1hr/day ~ 3mi ~ 7500 steps. Just a time constraint.

Also working on diet, started intermittent fasting 8 + 16 to start. Eat all my daily calories, still about 2k, in 8 hours only. Then only non-sweetened (no artificial or otherwise), beverages (water, tea, coffee) Milk/cream is a food so not added. Plan to goto 6 + 18 in 2 weeks.

I dragged this ,,little 188 lb skipper a mile out of the woods,,does that count as exercise?

If not,, @ pushing 69 it sure felt like it mister!! Those drags seem to be getting a little longer every year, even though I've hunted the same stand for 17 years WTF? I must be turning into a slacker or something ,,,,,,,

IMG_1232.jpg

Been doing 40 lb dumbbell curls and dumbbell overhead lifts the last week. Muscles are sore but in a week or two I'll kick it up to 50 lb . Over the last 20 years or so Ive gone through cycles of muscle building and while it shrinks down the muscle never really goes away . Makes it easier to jump start a program.

Its the power of Lard.

N0309I.jpg

Been doing 40 lb dumbbell curls and dumbbell overhead lifts the last week. Muscles are sore but in a week or two I'll kick it up to 50 lb . Over the last 20 years or so Ive gone through cycles of muscle building and while it shrinks down the muscle never really goes away . Makes it easier to jump start a program.

Its the power of Lard.

View attachment 523884

My elbow got a work out last night.

12 oz at a time.

Aloha, Mark

Been lifting 5 days a week at lunch.

Not getting my cardio in like I want but maybe after my wife is back in school in Jan.

Moving to lifting 7 days a week starting today.

A couple months ago I was at 1/3 of a stack on most machines but now I'm repping with full stacks.

Couple more weeks and I'm moving up into some of the heavier machines.

Been lifting 5 days a week at lunch.
Not getting my cardio in like I want but maybe after my wife is back in school in Jan.
Moving to lifting 7 days a week starting today.
A couple months ago I was at 1/3 of a stack on most machines but now I'm repping with full stacks.
Couple more weeks and I'm moving up into some of the heavier machines.

What will "cardio" do for you? Check your pulse after a lift. If you are getting a good increase, that is what you want.

You may want to look at HIIT rather than cardio. 1 hour of walking is relaxing and nice. 1 hour of jogging is hard on your knees. 20 mins, 30 seconds of all out, followed by 90 seconds of rest, will do wonders.
Stair machine, rower, sprints, hitting a heavy bag, what ever you can do. Has to be full out - and no ramp up - hit it.

If you need to build endurance for something like a marathon, then by all means do cardio.

I'll do a 3 mile walk, but that helps with stress reduction for me, and gets me some time to listen to audio books.

Can you get some free weights in? Helps will all those little muscles - the stabilizers.

Good job making use of the time you have.

Just did 40 reps each arm curls with 40 lb dumb bells. 40 reps overhead dumbell press. 40 reps standing tricep extension. Easy 10 minute workout. After a few hours I'll do another 15-20 reps of curls If my arms hold out. 4-6 times a week.

A month or two of this slowly increasing reps and I'll kick it up to 50 lbs.

The last time I went through a workout phase it was just before I turned 50. Got up to 320 lbs on the bench press and then managed to dislocate my shoulder. Then I started thinking about it and every weight lifting injury Ive ever sustained has been from the bench press. Bursitis, dislocations, torn muscles etc. Been a few years and everything has recovered . This time screw the bench. I'm sticking to dumb bells.

I lifted my coffee cup several times today. Going in for a complete right knee replacement T minus 17 days. That is going to make exercise a lot easier when that creaky element is fixed. The degradation of the knee joint has caused other issues that I can get fixed before long.

What will "cardio" do for you? Check your pulse after a lift. If you are getting a good increase, that is what you want.

You may want to look at HIIT rather than cardio. 1 hour of walking is relaxing and nice. 1 hour of jogging is hard on your knees. 20 mins, 30 seconds of all out, followed by 90 seconds of rest, will do wonders.
Stair machine, rower, sprints, hitting a heavy bag, what ever you can do. Has to be full out - and no ramp up - hit it.

If you need to build endurance for something like a marathon, then by all means do cardio.

I'll do a 3 mile walk, but that helps with stress reduction for me, and gets me some time to listen to audio books.

Can you get some free weights in? Helps will all those little muscles - the stabilizers.

Good job making use of the time you have.

Good point:).

I only take 30-60 seconds between sets so my heart rate goes up fast and stays there for a good while after I stop.

Free weights are on my list now that I know I'm not likely to pull something.

Might do some of them on a bosu ball for the added stability challenge.

Do not begin a fitness program on January 1, plus fitness goals - Maggie's Farm

If you do, you are statistically almost certain to fail in an exercise program. If serious about it, you will begin today. Of course, January is when gyms make all their money and when they are busiest. By March, they have collected all those fees and are right back to their usual daily volume of people.

As they say, "Someday" is not one of the seven days of the week.

I want to say a few words about exercise goals because it only makes sense to define, or re-define, exercise goals. I don't mean specific goals, like being able to bench press 300 lbs, or to run 10 miles at a 7.5 mph pace. I mean general goals. Your goals will determine your program.

For examples:
- Specific goals, like the two I mentioned above, require very specific training approaches designed by experts.
- Weight loss: Forget exercise. Eat right and body fat will melt away. Some cardio might help prime the pump, but not necessary.
- Psychological goals. Any form of daily exertion (not walking) is excellent for mental attitude.
- Body-building. This requires a specific sort of program to look buff. Focus a lot on isolated muscles. It's not functional so much as an aesthetic. I think it's silly, but to each his or her own.
- Strength training. This entails 4 days/week of heavy weights, powerlifts, with some accessory weight exercises.
- General conditioning for out of shape people. This is the bread and butter of professional trainers, and in some ways the most rewarding for them because these people, if dedicated, can make the most dramatic progress because they have so far to go. I have seen schlubby people make remarkable changes in one or two years. Including grandmas.
- "Functional fitness". This is the goal for most people aged 30-80, and why Crossfit is so popular. This is about building or even just maintaining strength, agility, balance, power, appearance, endurance, speed, athleticism, etc. for a vigorous life. All that is a lot to ask for, which is why we feel it takes 6-7 hours/week. It won't make you a marathoner or an impressive lifter, but should make you ready for anything life offers - especially sports and recreation.

The Maggie's Fitness For Life (where is that TM thing?) is for Functional Fitness. We sometimes have good ideas for conditioning, but once basic conditioning is achieved (ie fat control, ability to participate in exercise classes, ability to jog a mile, basic hand weights and cables) is where our ideas come into play. Calisthenics, Heavy weights, HIIT and Endurance Cardio.

Posted by Dr. Joy Bliss in Physical Fitness

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR