JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL, That was so fun!! How you doing Jeremy? I heard you didn't make it to work today :rolleyes:. If you want to play, you have to learn how to suck it up buttercup!! Just Kidding, maybe this weekend again eh? :)
Dave sent me this picture from Sunday

geico2.jpg

For the past few weeks, it's been limited to curls, bench, pull-downs, and stretches for the lower. I've been passing on the daily aerobic walk and/or bicycle ride given that I can't see the hills near my house through all the smoke.

Even keeping the house closed up with AC and fan on the "Allergy Mode" 24/7, I know that what I'm breathing is unhealthy since I can smell and taste it (nobody's pickier than an ex-smoker - I quit 25 years ago).

As soon as the air clears up enough to sweat and breathe deeply outdoors again, I'll be out there working the program (and inside replacing the HVAC air filters).

Last Edited:
I've been riding my bicycle to work 2-3 times a week, for the last three weeks. It's only 3 miles each way, but has some good hill climbing in both directions and it's better than nothing.

Good for you MB... seriously!!! I biked to/from work several times weekly until I retired last year. It was cool enough in the mornings (and mostly downhill) that I wasn't dripping sweat upon arrival. Luckily I worked in a casual office where a t-shirt for the first half hour (or all day) was okay. Even rode in the rain with lights on.

Once at work, I spent 80-90% of the time with my electric desk in the standing position. Google the phrase "sitting death" for some sobering stats on how profoundly unhealthy it is to sit for extended periods every day. It took a sluggish, incompetent HR office a couple years to process my simple request for the elevated desk (with a wimp chit from my doctor), so I improvised for a long time with photocopy paper boxes on the desk under my computer and mouse.

I also stood with a short length of 2x4 under my toes in order to stretch the calves and do toe-raises. Everyone was used to that, even during meetings in my area, and some co-workers started doing similar things. I use a short piece of Gen 2 Trex now at home in front of my raised computer desk because it's heavier and more stable.

The electric desks at IKEA got numerous bad reviews for failing power supplies. So I got the manually cranked one for $240 on sale and leave it up all the time. The 32x62" work surface gives plenty of room for laptop, scanner, etc. 48" tall.

So, while it's not active cardio/strength building exercise per se, I feel a lot better standing here probably 8-12 hours per week instead of slouching in a chair. Getting old ain't for sissies, and we should all do whatever we can to forestall that downward slide.

Last Edited:
Good for you MB... seriously!!! I biked to/from work several times weekly until I retired last year. It was cool enough in the mornings (and mostly downhill) that I wasn't dripping sweat upon arrival. Luckily I worked in a casual office where a t-shirt for the first half hour (or all day) was okay. Even rode in the rain with lights on.

Once at work, I spent 80-90% of the time with my electric desk in the standing position. Google the phrase "sitting death" for some sobering stats on how profoundly unhealthy it is to sit for extended periods every day. It took a sluggish, incompetent HR office a couple years to process my simple request for the elevated desk (with a wimp chit from my doctor), so I improvised for a long time with photocopy paper boxes on the desk under my computer and mouse.

I also stood with a short length of 2x4 under my toes in order to stretch the calves and do toe-raises. Everyone was used to that, even during meetings in my area, and some co-workers started doing similar things. I use a short piece of Gen 2 Trex now at home in front of my raised computer desk because it's heavier and more stable.

The electric desks at IKEA got numerous bad reviews for failing power supplies. So I got the manually cranked one for $240 on sale and leave it up all the time. The 32x62" work surface gives plenty of room for laptop, scanner, etc. 48" tall.

So, while it's not active cardio/strength building exercise per se, I feel a lot better standing here probably 8-12 hours per week instead of slouching in a chair. Getting old ain''t for sissies, and we should all do whatever we can to forestall that downward slide.
I go into work in the afternoon and show up a little stinky.:D

Morning rides sound nice.

I go into work in the afternoon and show up a little stinky.:D

Morning rides sound nice.
Man, whatever you do, be careful.

I averaged a close call with oblivious motorists at least once a month (texting, eating/drinking, not awake yet, f_ing shaving!). Good lights help too, even in broad daylight. Riding motorcycles for half a century ingrained in me the assumption that every vehicle is going to do the stupidest thing possible - and to have an escape plan ready to execute. Live today to exercise again tomorrow.

Man, whatever you do, be careful.

I averaged a close call with oblivious motorists at least once a month (texting, eating/drinking, not awake yet, f_ing shaving!). Good lights help too, even in broad daylight. Riding motorcycles for half a century ingrained in me the assumption that every vehicle is going to do the stupidest thing possible - and to have an escape plan ready to execute. Live today to exercise again tomorrow.
Absolutely. I go out with the mindset that if I get hit or in a bad situation, then it was MY fault.

NOTHING since the wildfire smoke rolled into SW OR USA. Horrible. One of the reasons I moved up here from central Kommiefornika was to get out of the bad bad air quality. MD's orders. I hate this time of year. 2-3 months of smoke.

But ... there is a cure and a solution. Brookings or Gold Beach or Florance beckons! Hee hee hee. :)

I've been stagnant on my weight loss so I've cut out peanut butter cuz it's so good I eat more then I should.

Had gained a couple pounds but that's put me back where's I was in 4 days so I think that was my hang up.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews