JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What are you shooting for weight wise?
Big picture...

My job for the last 30 years, has involved sitting. Providing support on the phone, using a computer, etc, then testing since about 2005. Same deal, mostly sitting. More sitting. I should put that on my resume'. *

Jan 2020 right before lockdown I was 200-205. At the gym 3+ times/week, intermittent fasting, no sugar, rice, white bread, beer.

4 years before, Jan 2016 was also about my current weight. At that time I was trying to build strength ( I have a post on the first page of this thread about deadlifts) Build muscle, muscle burns fat.

During lockdown what I didn't transition to was self exercise - walking/calisthenics, hand weights,
and both the wife and I gave in to the temptations of sugar. Ice cream, chips, french fries ( my work offered a double burger with fries for $1 )
Clearly, now, a failure mentally on how we reacted to the stress.
She has started complaining about my snoring - which is clearly due to weight.

Ultimately I should be 175.

My initial goal is to drop 10 lbs in October as a start. Then see if I can't resist the treats of November and December, and reach 225 by end of the year. Then, 200 by end of 2022.

There is no beer, nor chips, nor cookies in my house today.
I do have cooked bacon and broccoli available in the fridge as a 'snack' if I am hungry. Grab and Go.
I did lay in a supply of Polar Seltzer (at Freddies on sale) At home I find it hard to drink water. At work, I go thru a couple of litres each day, but not at home. I found the bubbles made a difference.
I have also reduced my caffeine intake. For me, I find cheese and caffeine as 2 of those things that stall my weight loss, so I have to minimize their consumption.

My plan for October is simple. Change the diet, Move 60. Walking & I am using my kettlebell at home. Re-join and use the gym come November.
If nothing else than to gain access to an elliptical for the wet weather, Plus deadlifts.

I do agree with the idea that weight loss is 85% diet and 15% exercise.
Moving is all about quality of life. I am never going to ascend half-dome, but I want to play with my grandchild (ren - maybe)
I don't want to come home exhausted from a day at the range.
Being a "healthy" weight is all about disease mediation, less likely for diabetes, covid, heart disease, joint pain etc.

Why 175?

When I was in the USCGR, we would determine frame size by wrist circumference. I was measured "large" which for my height gave me a 205 max weight. When I got out at the end of '98 I was 205 then. (This was all administrative not medical.)

When I graduated high school, I was 165.

A quick search turns up this insurance table (and 5-9 might be generous for my height now ;-)
HEIGHTSMALLMEDIUMLARGE

59142-151148-160155-176

The all muscle no fat guys (dehydrated)
d.it%2FSZyyjV-dVXW4mJhhIak-yS6buiRKLlOJKk4NxvT_cfk.jpg

TMI ?

*Intel corp ran an ad on TV for technicians over the weekend, you need to be able to stand all day.

Big picture...

My job for the last 30 years, has involved sitting. Providing support on the phone, using a computer, etc, then testing since about 2005. Same deal, mostly sitting. More sitting. I should put that on my resume'. *

Jan 2020 right before lockdown I was 200-205. At the gym 3+ times/week, intermittent fasting, no sugar, rice, white bread, beer.

4 years before, Jan 2016 was also about my current weight. At that time I was trying to build strength ( I have a post on the first page of this thread about deadlifts) Build muscle, muscle burns fat.

During lockdown what I didn't transition to was self exercise - walking/calisthenics, hand weights,
and both the wife and I gave in to the temptations of sugar. Ice cream, chips, french fries ( my work offered a double burger with fries for $1 )

My initial goal is to drop 10 lbs in October as a start. Then see if I can't resist the treats of November and December, and reach 225 by end of the year. Then, 200 by end of 2022.

I do have cooked bacon and broccoli available in the fridge as a 'snack' if I am hungry. Grab and Go.
I did lay in a supply of Polar Seltzer (at Freddies on sale) At home I find it hard to drink water. At work, I go thru a couple of litres each day, but not at home. I found the bubbles made a difference.
I have also reduced my caffeine intake. For me, I find cheese and caffeine as 2 of those things that stall my weight loss, so I have to minimize their consumption.

My plan for October is simple. Change the diet, Move 60. Walking & I am using my kettlebell at home. Re-join and use the gym come November.
If nothing else than to gain access to an elliptical for the wet weather, Plus deadlifts.

Moving is all about quality of life. I am never going to ascend half-dome, but I want to play with my grandchild (ren - maybe)
Being a "healthy" weight is all about disease mediation, less likely for diabetes, covid, heart disease, joint pain etc.

Why 175?

When I was in the USCGR, we would determine frame size by wrist circumference. I was measured "large" which for my height gave me a 205 max weight. When I got out at the end of '98 I was 205 then. (This was all administrative not medical.)

A quick search turns up this insurance table (and 5-9 might be generous for my height now ;-)
HEIGHTSMALLMEDIUMLARGE

59142-151148-160155-176

View attachment 1044057

TMI ?

*Intel corp ran an ad on TV for technicians over the weekend, you need to be able to stand all day.
I picked 175 as it was at the top end of normal weight range for my height. I got down to 182 in 2014 and I still had a bit of flab covering my abs. I think if I can get down to 175 the abs might pop out. 10lbs in October sounds very doable, the holidays are tough.

Big picture...

Why 175?

HEIGHTSMALLMEDIUMLARGE

59142-151148-160155-176

View attachment 1044057

TMI ?

I'm 5'8", if I did lose all my fat I'd still be a little over 200. Sometimes I spend too much time lifting weights or my tarps. I stopped paying attention to weight charts.

I mean, I've broken steel winch bars and chain binders, either I'm wrong in the right direction or something else going on.

On the news this morning, I saw a story on prostate cancer and exercise. Apparently exercise (what ever that means) releases a protien which inhibits the growth of those types of cancer cells. Interesting. https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/exercise-can-slow-cancer-growth-myokine-prostate/

This was a different story Exercise as Medicine.

"... researchers are now digging deeper into the mechanisms that underlie the benefits of physical activity. They are finding that exercise is both powerful and wide-reaching, affecting not just muscles and the cardiovascular system, but almost every part of the body, from the immune system to the brain to the energy systems within individual cells. And as scientists understand more precisely which levers exercise pulls to improve our health, clinicians are on the verge of being able to change their practice. The goal is to think of exercise as a medicine — a therapy that they can prescribe in specific doses for specific needs. "

If concerned about cancer, watch or read "World without cancer" by G. Edward Griffin. No one need die of cancer, but it is a profit center like many other diseases so our fraudulent medical system only provides treatments, not cures. My friend had brutal testicular cancer that spread through his body in the 90s and was given a 4-6 month death prognosis. Then his surgeon secretly - risking his job - told him about naturally treatments that work and where to go. He is 60 now and alive and kicking. If the current sh###show isn't proof that our medical system is a farce than people are blind. My ex secretary told me once that if you want to die young 'go see a doctor.' She is healthy and 93 now.

On a lighter note I saw a Tyson Fury (pro boxer fighting Sat) saying he shouldn't even be classified as an athlete cause he is so fat with love handles. Then he pulled off his shirt to show the crowd and everyone laughed. That is a man who doesn't give a _____. Made me really laugh.

At two minute mark in the timing thing doesn't work --

Does five minutes on my weight bench count? Half the time was spent not lifting, just breathing hard.

First time I've used it in months.

90 minutes at the gym today.
Light leg day.
1.5 miles in 19.5 minutes on the treadmill. New best time. Walking and running. HIIT style cardio.
I am aiming for 1.5 miles in 18 minutes.

tomowaround

Interesting word. Alcohol involved, perhaps? o_O
Sorry Sobo, I looked up "tomowaround" and I am unable to parse out what it means although it appears that it is either associated with young naked hot nubile sex acts or some sort of careful lawn mowing skills as it relates to mowing around shrubs or trees. I'm going with the latter as I often drink heavily and read history books with my shirt off outside in the sun while my wife mows around shrubs and trees. So second version most likely. She's very skilled at mowing, as I am in the drinking and reading thing.

Today, did a hot lap of 6 climbing pitches of approx 700 feet car to car in 1.5 hours. The day was almost flushedtosit as we hiked to the base of the cliff and saw a couple of dudes up @ 200 feet looking slow. We got to them on P2 quick before the leader had moved 5 feet up and they amazingly let us pass right by with the leader still mid pitch. They may still be there now in the dark if they didn't bail. Drank a brew my buddy brought afterwards and as I got up off the picnic table noticed sitting there for 15 min in the cool air I was stiff and sore. Buddy, 20 years younger and a contractor, was the same. Fortunately.

"flushedtosit" I like it better than bubblegum .......

One week in, how is everyone doing?

Wt 242 -3 for week.

Fri 109min
Sat 76
Sun 101
Mon 115
Tue 98
Wed 155
Thus 111

(at 61mins so far today)
I will do a weigh in Sunday night. I did one hour of walking on my mom's treadmill this morning. Funny thing is, even being on a different treadmill it was boring as heck. Lucky I have a smart phone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top