JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With asking the question,we'll ASSume 223/556 isn't what I'm looking for?
I have 2 lowers for new builds. 1 will be in 223/556 and I am hunting for another great caliber .
Not interested in in 300 either.Mostly looking for a medium caliber for some hunting up to a deer but maybe that will reach out further than the 223 platform
I'm guessing the 6.5s and 6,8s would be the area I'm heading,6-7mm range? I have a new 7mm mag so thinking in between 223 and that.Mostly for 'yotes and maybe for antelope or just fun long range stuff.
So what are your faves and what calibers am I missing.....that aren't too hard to get reload supplies for

Thanks
Mike

6x45 or 25-45 Sharps, both will work on your AR-15 lower. Basically just a necked up 223 case so it uses the same bolt & magazines, all you need is the barrel.

With asking the question,we'll ASSume 223/556 isn't what I'm looking for?
I have 2 lowers for new builds. 1 will be in 223/556 and I am hunting for another great caliber .
Not interested in in 300 either.Mostly looking for a medium caliber for some hunting up to a deer but maybe that will reach out further than the 223 platform
I'm guessing the 6.5s and 6,8s would be the area I'm heading,6-7mm range? I have a new 7mm mag so thinking in between 223 and that.Mostly for 'yotes and maybe for antelope or just fun long range stuff.
So what are your faves and what calibers am I missing.....that aren't too hard to get reload supplies for

Thanks
Mike

I think that most would agree that the 6.5 Grendel would be the best choice for your stated needs in an AR-15. But as others mention, the 6x45 would be the easier and more cost effective solution. The 6x45 does well at shorter ranges, but the Grendel really beats it downrange.

Now if you got a 308 AR lower instead, then all sorts of popular hunting cartridges would become available for you to choose from: 243 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7mm-08

The 6x45 is definitely going to be easier to locate reloading dies for than the 25-45 sharps. The sharps is a relatively new cartridge. If you go the 6x45 route make sure you get a barrel with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist to take advantage of the "hunting" bullets in the 80-100 grain weights. If it is just for coyotes and varmints a 1:10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 70-75 grains or so. At least mine does.;)

Yeah I have 2 ar15 lowers so the necked down 308's are a no go.
I will be checking on the 6X45 and the sharps. The Grendal is definitely on the short list
Can the 6X45 brass be made out of the 223 brass? I'm going to try to find the barrels then the brass and collect as much as I can afford so there won't be a shortage problem
The 6.5s seem to be popular around this area. Over here any battles won would be by long range and mostly bolt guns

Man I need to go get a job to support my habit

Thanks for the responses so far.

I would build a 25/45 Sharps

All your 5.56 stuff works, just need a barrel. Everything I read about it seems positive.

The only down side I see is how easy it would be to get the wrong ammo in the wrong gun.

I built one in 300 BLK and then I built one in 458 socom just change the barrel do a little ramp work and open up the ejection port it uses standard mags both are a hoot to shoot:)

Right about the SH debacle I built a 6.8 spc but it was when I was building and selling.A guy in Vancouver? from this sight I believe traded for it.20/20 hindsight I should have kept it,but..
Now the 458 socom and 50 beowolf are an impressive pair,but not in the realm I'm looking at.
So off to the 25/45 sharps and 6/45 searches
I would build a 25/45 Sharps

All your 5.56 stuff works, just need a barrel. Everything I read about it seems positive.

The only down side I see is how easy it would be to get the wrong ammo in the wrong gun.
So you use 556/223 brass to neck down? Dies are available?
And I ain't on your budget,so how much for barrels,lol?

Seems Blackhole has any of the calibers above and more.$300 and change,just 16-20 weeks out
<broken link removed>
Here's a vid on 25x45

Last Edited:
I just built a .264 LBC (non SAAMI 6.5 grendel) I ordered the barrel from SAA and it came in a week with a free upper. Shoots lights out and hornady makes factory ammo.

I ordered the bolt from BHW and it took around two weeks to get. If you go the Grendel route you might want to order a spare bolt because I've read guys have had trouble breaking lugs but so far so good.

Also if you have a source for x39 brass, you can fireform.

You can make either 6x45 or 25-45 sharps by running 223/5.56 (new or once fired) brass through each respective sizing die. No special tools or forming dies are needed, just the sizing die for the caliber you choose and 223 or 5.56 brass is easy to find.

You can make either 6x45 or 25-45 sharps by running 223/5.56 (new or once fired) brass through each respective sizing die. No special tools or forming dies are needed, just the sizing die for the caliber you choose and 223 or 5.56 brass is easy to find.
This would be a big plus with the other AR being 556. Then I just need to find one size brass
So as I remember the 6.5 and 6.8 need another bolt and magazine followers for the respective bolt carrier and magazine

I wanted a light weight hunting AR I know despite what some say that .223 is fine for deer . It is if you live in a start where deer are pletntiful and the size of a dog. Or if you have access to private land where it does not matter if the animal runs off and dies some where and becomes puppy chow for coyotes .

I went and bought a AA 6.5 grendel every thing i read made it sound like the super gun with the magic bullet. At that time ammo was no where to be found mail order only and cost way too much. Its easier to find now but you still don't see it often at chain sporting good stores. I had issues with mine and the customer service from them was condescending so rather than send it back i fixed it myself.

Then I got Stag 6.8Spc I could get ammo at bi-mart for this which is my favorite store to buy ammo . I had no feed issues no problems at all and held better groups for me at 100 that the grendel did. but i was using honady at $10 a box vs wolf gold at $12 a box (at the time I stocked up not sure what either is going for now)

Reloading supplies are easy to find for either maybe easier and cheaper for the 6.8spc

For a light weight compact brush gun for western oregon My preference by far is the 6.8spc but if you get a good working 6.5 and don't mind having to mail order or shop at places with a bigger selection of ammo or if you plan to load your own I would say for 6.5 would be the way to go.

yes different bolt, barrel and magazine and followers for both

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews