JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What constitutes a "good shot" using a subcompact centerfire pistol?

Have only been shooting with any regularity for 6 mos, but am reliably at the range 1-2 times/wk.

I got to the point where I can hit a 2" circle at 50ft about 6% of the time, without regard to the other shots. Normally about 40-60 rounds an outing.

What is a good benchmark for 50ft using stock sights?

Can you hit a human torso sized target repeatedly under stress? Good enough. Probably don't want to make ittty bitty groups anyway. You already shot that tissue once, shoot 'em somewhere different

A sub compact has a 3" barrel length? At a 2" target 50 feet away, any "flinch" or non-sight line-up, is going to be a miss (as you know).

Personally, I'd practice at around 20-25 feet. If you can 2" group from a sub compact at that distance, you're doing great.

:s0155:

No stress, warmed up: 3 in groups at 7 yards.
Not warmed up, 1 shot in 8 inches at 7 yards drawing from concealment in 1.5 seconds. Do not practice the 1.5 seconds part until your comfortable drawing. You can start from non concealment holster, or even the high ready position.
50ft is 17 yds. thats a long distance to start out with. For that, no stress and warmed up I would say all shots inside 8inch target would be a good metric for skill.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/ is a great bookmark for target practice and building skills.

Dunno, I wouldn't aim in that situation. So, something that points naturally and can still get most or all hits in on a torso target at 10 yards or less. Slow fire aimed shots are for paper rapers. :p

Dunno, I wouldn't aim in that situation. So, something that points naturally and can still get most or all hits in on a torso target at 10 yards or less. Slow fire aimed shots are for paper rapers. :p
Good point. I figured surely there's someone else dumb enough to try for accuracy at a distance with a subcompact. I have a 50 ft constraint, and prefer the glock that I've got so am trying to make the best of it. On the other hand it does not appear to be big among the drills that are out there.

Have only been shooting with any regularity for 6 mos, but am reliably at the range 1-2 times/wk.

I got to the point where I can hit a 2" circle at 50ft about 6% of the time, without regard to the other shots. Normally about 40-60 rounds an outing.

I like a modified "bill drill". 8" plates at 15 feet and 12" at 40 feet. 5 shots on each plate as fast as possible. The main reason I run the 40 foot is because that's the longest distance I'd have to deal with if I ever had a "situation" in my house. This is my go to for 3 to 3.5 inch barrels. If I can do this consistently I'm a happy human.

The standard bill drill is 6 shots at, I think, 7 yards as fast as possible. All "A" zone is the goal.

Is your objective to get the most holes in a 2" circle at 50 yards or to stay alive in a self defense shooting situation?

If it's the latter I would change your approach. It would be extremely rare where you can shoot relaxed slow fire in a self defense situation. You'll likely be under duress, adrenaline flowing, heart racing, things happening very fast, and likely at shorter range than 50 yards. You'll need to be able to draw smoothly, build your grip, present the gun and shoot accurately and quickly on a dynamic target (likely moving) while remaining mentally calm. The practice you are talking about builds none of those skills. But of course if it's target practice for fun or whatever only that's a whole different deal. Depends on what your objective is.

Tagging so I can easily follow.

As has been said, what's your ultimate goal? Bullseye, punching the "X" out at 50 ft? Or more self defense oriented?

I'm no longer a bullseye shooter working on marksmanship skills. More of a self defense shooter nowadays. Prefer a human size target at 21-30 ft, not looking for a ragged whole, just "A" zone hits. Practicing point shooting because that's a more realistic scenario than having time to aim in a self defense situation.

As I said, it depends on your ultimate goals.

I would suggest a different approach.

I wouldn't worry about groups and such...at first.

I would practice with being familiar and comfortable with your pistol.
As in drawing it safely and smoothly from your holster...and getting aligned on the target....then shooting...
Again not worry about shot groups at this time.
Also not worried at all about speed here....
Just wanting a smooth , consistent movement with what you are doing.

Once this movement becomes natural...unhurried and unthought....
Then start looking at shot groups....Find a loading that works well with your pistol and how you shoot.
And practice with that...until your shooting becomes natural...unhurried and unthought.
Keeping in mind that self defense accuracy does not mean the same as Olympic target accuracy.

Also worth considering ...
Your situation and environment...that will dictate how you must shoot and accuracy.
Where you live , work , play , and carry....will different than someone else.
Therefore...your accuracy and shooting requirements will differ.
Andy

The 6% part doesn't matter, the 100% part does.
If you can hit a paper plate at 50' with a pocket gun 100% of the time you're doing good.

Good point. I figured surely there's someone else dumb enough to try for accuracy at a distance with a subcompact. I have a 50 ft constraint, and prefer the glock that I've got so am trying to make the best of it. On the other hand it does not appear to be big among the drills that are out there.
On an 18x24" tombstone shaped gong I can make 70% hits at 50 yards with a J frame revolver. I can't say what size the groups are only that I hit the target.
But most of my practice is at 25' or less. Arm length to 25' seems to be about the length of most gunfights. But knowing I can hit at 50 yards is comforting.
60' is the length of my truck and travel trailer. that's another distance I practice at. Good Luck DR

Train to the threat you want to be ready for. The majority of threats will be within 10 yards (often closer), but not always. For example, there was the active shooter at the mall that one guy put down from 40 yards away with his concealed carry piece. Not a bad thing to practice.

You can do a Google search for pistol drills and come up with ways to improve your shooting skills. Most drills will show an acceptable range for different skill levels and those can provide a good baseline. Whenever possible, find out what the drill is teaching you. Is it grip, presentation, recoil control, staying out of the sights, ensuring an acceptable sight picture before each and every trigger press that the drill is teaching you? Don't concentrate on evaluations, work on improving skills.

You can accomplish a lot with correct dryfire drills without spending any money on ammunition. Seek out some training and specifically find out about skills improvement drills. Occasional formal training will go a long way toward determining weaknesses and perhaps some bad habits, as well as encouraging you to continue correct and helpful habits.

Again, only you can determine what is acceptable for you, just remember that these are perishable skills and need to be refreshed frequently. In a stressful situation, most of us will revert to our most basic skill level. Work on elevating that level.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top