JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice. I may try it and just get myself enough reload components to last a while.
I'm guessing there are 25 cal bullets out there to be had
And that's the nice thing about lego guns,you can change whatever you need to to have another caliber

Nice. I may try it and just get myself enough reload components to last a while.
I'm guessing there are 25 cal bullets out there to be had
And that's the nice thing about lego guns,you can change whatever you need to to have another caliber

Well, both the cartridge and the overall length that can fit in an AR mag will limit one regarding the bullets that will be practical to use. That 87 gr Speer Hot-Cor used in their commercial load is a pretty tough bonded bullet that is known for good deep penetration. And it is quite short in length. So it would be compatible, and also be very appropriate for big game.

If you look at that video on their website showing the Coyote Hunt, you will see that the exit wound on the animal pretty much blew out the Coyote's entire left shoulder.

I guess if I could get a few different bullets in 100 packs that would be fine.There has to be at least a few different bullet designs for a 25 caliber?
54 at Midway
<broken link removed>
I might be able to find 1 the barrel likes

I guess if I could get a few different bullets in 100 packs that would be fine.There has to be at least a few different bullet designs for a 25 caliber?
54 at Midway
<broken link removed>
I might be able to find 1 the barrel likes

Well, I do not believe that it is practical to go with any of the heavier 25 caliber bullets. For you would have to seat them so deep in order to fit in an AR-15 mag, that you would then be losing significant powder capacity.

If you wanted a super tough deep penetrating bullet, the Barnes TTSX 80 gr would probably work real well. Both Hornady and Sierra have a 87 gr Softpoint very similar to the Speer Hot-Cor 87 gr. However, I do not believe that they are bonded, so they thus will not penetrate as deep on big game. Both Hornady and Sierra make 75 grain hollowpoints that should be great for small game. Speer also makes a 87 gr TNT hollowpoint that should be great on coyotes.

So that is at least 7 bullets that would be a good fit for this cartridge. So one would have two real deep penetrating bullet options, two with medium penetration, and 3 varmint type fragile bullets.

Not that worried about anything larger than antelope/wolf sized animals,since I just got the new 7mm:D
An I keep in mind that if the caliber I first choose becomes hard to keep fed,I'll change lego parts and come up with another.
Heck I may get a 556 barrel but I'm not sure the other AR will be built in that caliber! Y'all have me looking at too many options now:rolleyes:

Having shot several non-556 cartridged in the AR platform, I settled on a 6MM WOA (white oak armament). This is essentialy a necked down 6.8spc. With 22 barrel it will push 87gr berger VLD's at 3,000 fps. 75gr v max for coyotes at 3,250. Not a 243 but some pretty good downrage ballistics.
Hope this helps

For someone that does not reload, the 6.8mm SPC is really the only true alternative. For there are a number of companies making ammo for it.

I personally think that the 6x45 would be a great option. There are a number of companies making high quality barrels chambered in it. But one would definitely have to make your own ammo.

So I just watched Sootch? and AR15 hunter you tube vids.They are saying 1.25 to 1.5" MOA is acceptable from an AR? From a sharps no less?
I think I did that good playin with a 556 AR
I would like to see someone shoot sub MOA with it before I decide to buy the barrel and ammo.
Now granted the ammo has soft nose bullets but you would think Sharps would want to have a little more accuracy from a gun with their name on it

So I just watched Sootch? and AR15 hunter you tube vids.They are saying 1.25 to 1.5" MOA is acceptable from an AR? From a sharps no less?
I think I did that good playin with a 556 AR
I would like to see someone shoot sub MOA with it before I decide to buy the barrel and ammo.
Now granted the ammo has soft nose bullets but you would think Sharps would want to have a little more accuracy from a gun with their name on it

That is the problem that you will face with the 25 - 45 No one else is making barrels, from what I can tell. And no other source for loaded ammo.

You would think that they would want to make a good impression with their videos. But that appears to be the best that they could produce. If you look at the video of the guy who bought a complete rifle from them, he got about 1.25 inch groups too, using their ammo.

So is it their ammo or the barrel that is holding performance back? Who knows? While that is OK performance, it is nothing to write home about.

There are more companies making 6 x 45 barrels. It is a more established wildcat. And it looks like it can come very close to the performance of the 25 - 45. So maybe it would be the better option to consider. Although with it, you will definitely have to rely on handloads. I don't know of anyone making ammo for it.

Deadshot Barrels in Terrebone, OR has been getting some rave reviews lately for the high quality of their AR barrels. And I see that they list a whole, wide range of calibers, including the 6 x 45, and the all other options that have been mentioned in this discussion too.

Perhaps they would be worth checking out:

http://deadshotbarrels.com/

https://www.facebook.com/deadshotbarrels

Checkout this stainless barrel and bolt carrier group in 6 x 45 that Deadshot recently delivered to a customer. They even included load data, and some sample ammo with the barrel!! That is pretty awesome.

1534767_442250182623778_3304812206042231003_o.jpg

If you have an ar15 lower and are going to build a complete rifle, 6.5 Grendel is the way to go. It is an awesome all around rifle. Which an ar10 can not even touch in most cases. All reloading components are readily available at most stores, the only thing unusual is brass which is easily found but on a pitch you can form it from AK brass. The 3 Bi marts in my area actually carry hornady match grade ammo for it at about a buck a round. Much better $$ than match grade 308. The Grendel can take elk with ease so of course yotes, hogs and goats are no problem as far as you can mark em.
Forgot to add, anyone I know that has a AR10 for all around use and decides to try a top tier AR in Grendel, usually ends up shelving his AR10. myself included.

Now this is more of what I would expect from a barrel maker bragging about the accuracy of their barrels.

Check this out on the Facebook page for Deadshot Barrels:

https://www.facebook.com/deadshotba...0896490672473/792802674148521/?type=1&theater

View attachment 252057
OK now that's what I'm talking about.Maybe I can't duplicate it,but at least I understand the barrel is capable of this
Imma keep searching to see what is available here and southern Montana (quite a bit to find just across the pass:D) for these calibers. As long as I can get some stock pile to start,I'll be happy with my decision....for a while at least:rolleyes:.Grendal components and ammo has been sighted around here
Hey keep the info coming so others have 'ammo' to decide on their new lego set too

Just ordered a 6x45 barrel from Deadshot. 20" 1:9 twist cerrokoted black. I should have it in a few days, I'll let you know how it shoots when I get it put together and work up some loads.

Greenbug
Congrats on the new barrel! I shot and loaded the 6x45 for some time and would be happy to share my load information. I also have a variety of 6mm bullets...I can give you some samples to try so you don't have to buy an entire box to test. Enjoy

Wow! Talk about fast... I ordered my 6x45 barrel from Deadshot on Monday, and got it Thursday!
It looks awesome! I quickly put together the upper when I got home and ran out to test fire for function. The included test rounds provided by Deadshot were a little slow and the first two rounds fired and ejected, but failed to feed the next round. After that it cycled all the rest of the test ammo just fine. I also fired some of my handloaded ammo (it must be a little hotter) and absolutely perfect function on all 50 rounds. I chalk up the failure to feed on the lower pressure rounds provided. I don't blame Deadshot at all for the low power rounds, I am sure they are just protecting themselves from possible liability. Besides what other company provides you some test ammo with your new barrel?

Now I need to get to the loading bench and start working up some test loads so they are ready when my scope and mounts arrive....

Wow! Talk about fast... I ordered my 6x45 barrel from Deadshot on Monday, and got it Thursday!
It looks awesome! I quickly put together the upper when I got home and ran out to test fire for function. The included test rounds provided by Deadshot were a little slow and the first two rounds fired and ejected, but failed to feed the next round. After that it cycled all the rest of the test ammo just fine. I also fired some of my handloaded ammo (it must be a little hotter) and absolutely perfect function on all 50 rounds. I chalk up the failure to feed on the lower pressure rounds provided. I don't blame Deadshot at all for the low power rounds, I am sure they are just protecting themselves from possible liability. Besides what other company provides you some test ammo with your new barrel?

Now I need to get to the loading bench and start working up some test loads so they are ready when my scope and mounts arrive....

That is really great news. I've yet to see anyone say anything about Deadshot Barrels other than speak high praise. Not only for the quality of their product, but for their customer service and support too.

Once you get a scope on and can test it, please do post some pics. If we have a top notch barrel maker right here in Oregon, this could be a local vendor well worth folks supporting.

Well the AR lowers are gone but I am using the info on here to decide on a bolt gun instead.
They were sitting there calling me every day,asking when I was going to finish them.
I couldn't take it
( this isn't far from the truth either)

Well the AR lowers are gone but I am using the info on here to decide on a bolt gun instead.
They were sitting there calling me every day,asking when I was going to finish them.
I couldn't take it
( this isn't far from the truth either)

Well, this info would not apply very well to a bolt gun. I would rather own a .243 Winchester than any of these 6mm options that have been discussed.

In my opinion, the coolest and most practical new rifle cartridge to come out in recent years is the 6.5mm Creedmoor; especially if you handload. A great cartridge for long range target shooting. And it is a very viable hunting round too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top