JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you don't have the big copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads, your library is incomplete.
Next would be Lyman's 49th.
Then both editions of P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders would complete it.

Pretty much everything else is on the 'net.

If you are only going for two, I suggest one be Lyman which is more generic and more layman oriented.
If you already have an older Lyman then you are good to go and make the first one LEE.
The second manual after you do some bullet research and narrow the field, then pick from whichever brand projectile you will most likely go with that gives you the most options or best prices available to you, at least initially. (Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Nozzler etc.) That way you have starting specs related directly for their projectile product, and the Lyman, which may give you a wider powder selection.
I'd stay away from caliber specific, just because.

Since I was not rambling enough before please understand the very old 50+ year old hand loading books may be kinda dangerous today. What was considered a good worked-up-to or maximum hand load THEN might be considered dangerously high over pressured today.

Grandpa's hand loading books he used in high school in 1965 might not be a good idea today. Yikes!

Since I was not rambling enough before please understand the very old 50+ year old hand loading books may be kinda dangerous today. What was considered a good worked-up-to or maximum hand load THEN might be considered dangerously high over pressured today.

Grandpa's hand loading books he used in high school in 1965 might not be a good idea today. Yikes!

Or his geography books, science books, history books.... just saying :rolleyes:

I like the Sierra and Nosler manuals as I shoot a lot of those bullets, but I also have the Hornady as well as a paperback Hodgen book that I have found useful. I usually end up cross referencing the same load in multiple books if I am not shooting a standard load behind one of the big name bullet manufacturer's bullets and the working up slowly to get the accuracy I'm after from there.

Lyman No. 49 or 50, especially if you want handgun cast lead bullet data, the No. 50 if you want to try the latest available powders. Also the latest Hornady for the latest available powders/cartridges, since the Nosler data is pretty much available online for free. I do like the Nosler manual, own versions 2 through 7. The older versions had great reading. The Sierra manual is also very good, maybe even better than the current Hornady. Speer hasn't updated theirs in a long time, and they don't add much new data in the newer versions. (Not all that different in No. 10 through 14, and yes I have them all. )

556x45-Nato-69gr.jpg

There's a lot of good loading information on the web. I used the Lee manual to get started.
And i agree w the chart above the 2230 is my most accurate powder w 69 grain Seirra bthp.

The Lyman 49th and 50th books are going to be very good choices. Lyman has always worked with a large variety of bullets and powders for all kinds of uses. Their books are chock full of information dealing with all facets of reloading. I have a Lyman 46th and I remember the next edition not having all of the coolest parts of things like casting your own bullets. So, if casting bullets is something you have interest in, find a 46th. Other than that, I'm sure the later versions are more up to date on powder choices. I also have a Lyman manual from the 1960's. A long time ago I used it, now I don't. Powder and bullets have changed so much in the last 10-20 years there is no reason to be using a manual that's 50!
For me, the second choice would be the manual from the bullet company you're using. The Lyman manual will be generic in bullet selection listing by type, 180gr BTSP, for example. It will give you a wide variety of good powder selections. The manual from your bullet company will give valuable information about bullet specifics and their reloading recipes.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top