JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the end of the day, it comes down to this. Boil away the BS, cut away the rhetoric. We had better start acting like the adults in the room. I'm not saying give in. I'm not saying capitulate to their list of silly demands. But at the end of the day, the 2nd Amendment survives two ways. The first is in the courts. And in this regard, whether you want to hear it or not, we have been very fortunate over the last decade plus. Heller v. DC was huge. So was McDonald v. Chicago. But if we lose popular support, eventually we will lose in the courts, and even if we don't, as others have said, there are legal ways to repeal the 2nd Amendment. And a big part of this is winning in the court of public opinion. We can't look like a bunch of kooks to the general public. At the end of the day, to preserve the 2A, we need people who don't own guns to support our right or to at least not support taking it away.

If that happens, then the only way the right to bear arms survives is at the end of the muzzle and the point of the bayonet. And as many keyboard commandos and mall ninjas make light of a bloody revolution on countless internet posts, when it comes down to it, most people won't have the stomach for it.

We all hope it doesn't come down to that. So we, as the responsible, law abiding, gun owners of this great country, need to step up to the table and be the ones speaking like adults. We don't have to agree to their demands, but we'd better start coming up with some reasonable solutions. Because, ladies and gentlemen, we are starting to lose the debate when school shootings happen. It might not be a swift and sure repeal of the 2A, but we are losing the death of 1000 cuts. Unreasonable restrictions, under the guise of safety and security, are spreading north from CA and in all directions from New England like a cancer.
Don't like the restrictions on your rights? Then we better figure out or offer a better and more reasonable solution than arming teachers or turning schools into compounds. I don't know what the answer is. But I do know we're slowly losing the momentum we got from the SCOTUS.

My two biggest issues with "reasonable restrictions"...are:
That after one such restriction ...pick any that you care to name...there seems to another "reasonable restriction" around the corner , just waiting to be issued and enforced...
And that it seems that the law abiding gun owners are the ones made to be bound by a restriction , not the criminals...

Should there be some sort of "command and control " regarding firearms and their ownership ...yes , I think so.
But that same command and control needs to be :
Within reason ( whatever that may be )
As I have said before One man's reasonable is another man's extreme and one man's extreme is another man's starting point...
Actually be workable and does what it is intended to do...
Not put undo hardship on the law abiding gun owner...
Be based on actual research ( non biased ) and not on feelings and emotions...
Take into allowance / consideration that what may work or be the best answer , say in inner city Chicago may not work or be the best in Riverton Wyoming...

All in all , I have way more questions than answers ....and it makes for a frustrated AndyinEverson...
Andy

That is a constitutional issue.
Actually, the Age of majority is established by each state. It isn't a federal issue. The laws began changing around the time of the Vietnam war as a response to the draft. Raising It would also lessen the effect of liberal high school teachers on our elections by giving young people some distance and prospective on life before being allowed to vote.

Actually, the Age of majority is established by each state. It isn't a federal issue. The laws began changing around the time of the Vietnam war as a response to the draft. Raising It would also lessen the effect of liberal high school teachers on our elections by giving young people some distance and prospective on life before being allowed to vote.
26th Amendment established 18 as the age to vote, if they can vote they're an adult.

Another way to consider the line is not the "man-portable" line (which seems an arbitrary line to me), but any arms that would be used by an effective militia should be allowed. That includes man-portable weapons, crew-served weapons, and crew-operable vehicle-mounted weapons. In my mind, any ammo that could conceivably be used in these weapons should be included, with NO LIMITS on number or volume of this ammo. I'd put my line somewhere inside of the missile category.

And one citizen can only wield one to three defensive arms at a time, so there needs to be NO LIMIT on the number of arms owned.

I'd be in favor of raising the voting age to 25. Just because you are young and fit enough to make good cannon fodder doesn't mean you have the good sense or life experience to vote responsibly. Giving the vote to 18 year olds was just another of those feel good, emotion based liberal ideas. The youth vote elected Obama, after all. Just my opinion.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this. Boil away the BS, cut away the rhetoric. We had better start acting like the adults in the room. I'm not saying give in. I'm not saying capitulate to their list of silly demands. But at the end of the day, the 2nd Amendment survives two ways. The first is in the courts. And in this regard, whether you want to hear it or not, we have been very fortunate over the last decade plus. Heller v. DC was huge. So was McDonald v. Chicago. But if we lose popular support, eventually we will lose in the courts, and even if we don't, as others have said, there are legal ways to repeal the 2nd Amendment. And a big part of this is winning in the court of public opinion. We can't look like a bunch of kooks to the general public. At the end of the day, to preserve the 2A, we need people who don't own guns to support our right or to at least not support taking it away.

If that happens, then the only way the right to bear arms survives is at the end of the muzzle and the point of the bayonet. And as many keyboard commandos and mall ninjas make light of a bloody revolution on countless internet posts, when it comes down to it, most people won't have the stomach for it.

We all hope it doesn't come down to that. So we, as the responsible, law abiding, gun owners of this great country, need to step up to the table and be the ones speaking like adults. We don't have to agree to their demands, but we'd better start coming up with some reasonable solutions. Because, ladies and gentlemen, we are starting to lose the debate when school shootings happen. It might not be a swift and sure repeal of the 2A, but we are losing the death of 1000 cuts. Unreasonable restrictions, under the guise of safety and security, are spreading north from CA and in all directions from New England like a cancer.
Don't like the restrictions on your rights? Then we better figure out or offer a better and more reasonable solution than arming teachers or turning schools into compounds. I don't know what the answer is. But I do know we're slowly losing the momentum we got from the SCOTUS.

Arming teachers, or rather allowing them to be armed is a perfectly valid solution.

If I had as much time off as them, you better believe I would be even better with a gun then I am. Give em free training and education. Station a veteran at every school.

As for more restrictions, I came from CA. Those scum sucking bastards want total control of all our lives, guns and all. The only way we will be free at this point is a revolution. Sooner the better in my opinion.

Arming teachers, or rather allowing them to be armed is a perfectly valid solution.

If I had as much time off as them, you better believe I would be even better with a gun then I am. Give em free training and education. Station a veteran at every school.

As for more restrictions, I came from CA. Those scum sucking bastards want total control of all our lives, guns and all. The only way we will be free at this point is a revolution. Sooner the better in my opinion.

I am a teacher. I spend more than 40 hours a week at a public school. I love my colleagues. People may want to complain about them being a bunch of libs, which many of them are, but they honestly care about the kids. That being said, I wouldn't trust many of them with a squirt gun.

We don't need to ban guns. We don't need to put armed guards everywhere. We need to figure out the reason why all this is happening and fix it. We've had guns. We've had violent movies. There has to be an underlying reason these shootings are happening. Find that reason, solve it.

I am a teacher. I spend more than 40 hours a week at a public school. I love my colleagues. People may want to complain about them being a bunch of libs, which many of them are, but they honestly care about the kids. That being said, I wouldn't trust many of them with a squirt gun.

We don't need to ban guns. We don't need to put armed guards everywhere. We need to figure out the reason why all this is happening and fix it. We've had guns. We've had violent movies. There has to be an underlying reason these shootings are happening. Find that reason, solve it.
I think many even great teachers need to be term limited. As they (and the rest of us) age, they loose the enthusiasm for the kids and the job they had when younger. Getting basically the same regular pay (with incremental increases) over 4 decades could lull anyone into complacency. We sort of have a similar situation in the military but we are generally termed out at 20 years. Everyone is different but I remember many older teachers simply phoning it in as they age. They still accomplish the mechanics but a great teacher ads so much more to the activity it is a shame when it goes away.

Whenever someone brings up the theater example I always not that if you yell fire in a theater that you are going to be prosecuted when you do it. With guns they want to take the guns ahead of time. For theaters that would be like them installing a ball gag when you go into the theater.

Prior restraint.

Punish people who abuse the right but not people in advance of committing a crime.

We need to figure out the reason why all this is happening and fix it. We've had guns. We've had violent movies. There has to be an underlying reason these shootings are happening. Find that reason, solve it.

Good luck. The reason is either systemic failure of our civilization, entropy, aging, can't be stopped, or it is orchestrated decline by a group of powerful people. Theoretically we could halt the first if we all exerted enough energy, but I give us 500:1 odds.

Whenever someone brings up the theater example I always not that if you yell fire in a theater that you are going to be prosecuted when you do it. With guns they want to take the guns ahead of time. For theaters that would be like them installing a ball gag when you go into the theater.

Prior restraint.

Punish people who abuse the right but not people in advance of committing a crime.
That is a great argument. Except the court has stated that restrictions are valid and legal.

I don't want to force the wimpy ones to be armed. I want to allow YOU to be armed. Maybe we only get 1 or 2 teachers a school, but they are the natural protectors who will go kill the sonofabubblegum, rather than just being a human shield like the poor PE coach during one of the recent ones.

My 2 1/2 year old grandson Denver under supervision, Photo by his mama. He also is riding Moto cross motorcycles. 50966114-225D-48E5-9790-ED93F1BD326D.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top