JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you or a loved one is in imminent risk of harming yourself or someone else, briefly separating yourself from the "means" could be a life saver. Granted, storing at an ffl is a last resort, but still an option

If you or a loved one is in imminent risk of harming yourself or someone else, briefly separating yourself from the "means" could be a life saver. Granted, storing at an ffl is a last resort, but still an option
I bought a rifle and shotgun from a family member of somebody who had been in such a scenario. They took the firearms to a LE agency who held onto them for a couple of years. When they got them back they had become very rusty. Evidently the LE agency's storage location was not optimal.

I bought a rifle and shotgun from a family member of somebody who had been in such a scenario. They took the firearms to a LE agency who held onto them for a couple of years. When they got them back they had become very rusty. Evidently the LE agency's storage location was not optimal.
For sure. I work in mental health/crisis and (obviously) empathize with being willing to remove the guns for a brief time, but NOT to LE. When working with high-risk gun owners the first route I encourage is giving them to family or friends for a week or two, alternatively I have even recommended 1 or 2 of my favorite LGS as spots to store guns temporarily in the event there is no support system that can take them.

I look at it this way. If stolen blood diamonds, drug dealer or counterfeit cash is okay... my unloaded inatimate hunk of metal should be just fine. I wouldn't store it loaded though. I don't want to feel responsible for any rounds cooking off when BLM comes and burns the bank to the ground.

The bank whose safe deposit box I was using to store 30 handguns in while I went on vacation years ago didn't allow gun storage but they didn't know & it didn't hurt them a bit
It's a good thing one of those pistoles didn't get a little whizz bang up it's mag hole and decide to go off and rob the place. Haven't you heard? Guns is dangerous.

For sure. I work in mental health/crisis and (obviously) empathize with being willing to remove the guns for a brief time, but NOT to LE. When working with high-risk gun owners the first route I encourage is giving them to family or friends for a week or two, alternatively I have even recommended 1 or 2 of my favorite LGS as spots to store guns temporarily in the event there is no support system that can take them.
It does make me wonder why there isn't some form of extenuating circumstance provision in the law to make handing a gun to an FFL and getting it back easier.

As a society, we should want suicidal people to give up their guns with as little hurdle as possible. And those people are going to want to know that their items are taken care of and that they can get them back in the future, also with as little hurdle as possible. Talk about "common sense" reforms and such.

I suspect that banks generally don't want guns in deposit boxes since that would allow somebody to enter the bank unarmed and then arm themselves once inside. I know that they would need to provide ID to access the box, but if that was fake then I could come up with a good movie script.

But, of course, what they don't know...

I suspect that banks generally don't want guns in deposit boxes since that would allow somebody to enter the bank unarmed and then arm themselves once inside. I know that they would need to provide ID to access the box, but if that was fake then I could come up with a good movie script.

Pretty ballsy. Walking in past all the camera's, no gloves (which would be suspicious), leave your fingerprints and dna on the sign in signature sheet, speak directly to bank personnel.... and if that wasn't good enough, leave more fingerprints and dna on the key and handling the deposit box itself, then hole yourself in a vault with no route of escape.... indeed... ballsy, or just a friggin moron.;)

People enter banks armed all the time. Some concealed, some not.

A good reason ?,, about 20 years of my life, i spent working overseas, I would store most of my guns in a firearms shop that had a walk-in bank vault, and good security. I paid for storage space, for my own gunsafe to keep it in there. so not only was it pretty secure, it was also secured by my own gun safe.

Storage units are unattended, unoccupied for months on end, and usually built from modest sheet metal. The ceilings in each unit are sometimes a mere chain link fence laid flat so a renter in one section can snip the mesh and climb into other units. Anecdotally I have heard of many firearm thefts from storage units. If I was in a bind and needed to store firearms and had no relatives where a safe with my own combination lock could sit I'd find a special high security storage service.
I believe that really depends on where you live and what mom n' pop self store you're talking about.

I've never seen units with mesh ceilings.

Nearly every one I use (in multiple states) are gated, monitored security camera's all over the place, many are climate controlled, well lighted... and most importantly... in all my years... I've never had a single one broken into.

I guess added security would be to place a gun safe inside the unit. That would slow some would be robbers down, but that kind of defeats the purpose of short term, convenient access and inexpensive storage.

I'm also a strong propoent of the idea that the best security you can have is good insurance.

YMMV

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews