JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Temporarily, having an "at risk" teen in the home you don't trust yourself to be able to secure them properly from them(?) During the course of a home renovation or other where you might have strangers with access to your home... and again... don't trust yourself to be able to secure them properly(?) During a move and in between having your safes removed and reinstalled in your new home(?)

Not in Oregon, but at borders while travelling over international lines it's really handy to have a means to temporarly store them near your border crossing.

All that said, with more recent alphabet rule changes, it's too prohibitively emcumbersome to use an FFL for any of that except as an emergency backup option. There are other much more practical means of storage, often less expensive and allow much more convenient access to them.

There's a possibility that my wife's internship takes us to a 2A hellhole for a year (think states where cans and SBRs are illegal). This, of course, is not a place we'd be staying past the end of the program…but frankly, having to get rid of hard awaited cans because of a temp move feels wrong and wasteful. Would love to just store those at an FFL awaiting my move back to saner territory.

There's a possibility that my wife's internship takes us to a 2A hellhole for a year (think states where cans and SBRs are illegal). This, of course, is not a place we'd be staying past the end of the program…but frankly, having to get rid of hard awaited cans because of a temp move feels wrong and wasteful. Would love to just store those at an FFL awaiting my move back to saner territory.
Self storage unit. Small units, like 10 or 20sq/ft, can be had very economically. Annual prepay can also give you some leverage to negotiate with private outfits. it depends on your area, but might be looking at something around $15-$25 a month on a month to month rental. Checking in smaller outlining rurual areas often get's the best pricing and worth the trip if you only have to go there on very rare occassion.

SBR sized... not so much... but cans, bank safe deposit boxes are dirt cheap. One box I have that would hold a pretty good number of them runs $30 a year. Just for an example. YMMV

Self storage unit. Small units, like 10 or 20sq/ft, can be had very economically. Annual prepay can also give you some leverage to negotiate with private outfits. it depends on your area, but might be looking at something around $15-$25 a month on a month to month rental. Checking in smaller outlining rurual areas often get's the best pricing and worth the trip if you only have to go there on very rare occassion.

SBR sized... not so much... but cans, bank safe deposit boxes are dirt cheap. One box I have that would hold a pretty good number of them runs $30 a year. Just for an example. YMMV
Think a bank safe deposit box could hold a lower or two? I realize SBR's are more wiggly in that they can be reconfigured to no longer be SBRs…but part of me would want to just keep all the serial numbered parts the ATF knows about all together…even if that means stripping off a lower to make it fit.

Think a bank safe deposit box could hold a lower or two? I realize SBR's are more wiggly in that they can be reconfigured to no longer be SBRs…but part of me would want to just keep all the serial numbered parts the ATF knows about all together…even if that means stripping off a lower to make it fit.
The large boxes certainly could. The one I have is about a 10 x 3 x 22. So removing the stock and grip I would imagine you could fit a few receivers in there. The big ones... at that particular bank I believe are 10 x 10 x 22's. I'm sure those would hold several with stocks, grips and all. They are likely pretty spendy too (I honestly don't know what they charge for those), but I would guess they are still cheaper than a self store unit. The advantage there being able to store full firearms of any size "as is".

Storage units get broken into. I would not store NFA items or really any firearms in a storage unit.
That's pretty much a risk anywhere with anything. Houses get broken into, FFLs get broken into................

Store the safe in the storage unit with the guns inside and choose a reputable secure storage facility?

That's pretty much a risk anywhere with anything. Houses get broken into, FFLs get broken into................

Store the safe in the storage unit with the guns inside and choose a reputable secure storage facility?
Storage units are unattended, unoccupied for months on end, and usually built from modest sheet metal. The ceilings in each unit are sometimes a mere chain link fence laid flat so a renter in one section can snip the mesh and climb into other units. Anecdotally I have heard of many firearm thefts from storage units. If I was in a bind and needed to store firearms and had no relatives where a safe with my own combination lock could sit I'd find a special high security storage service.

Storage units are unattended, unoccupied for months on end, and usually built from modest sheet metal. The ceilings in each unit are sometimes a mere chain link fence laid flat so a renter in one section can snip the mesh and climb into other units. Anecdotally I have heard of many firearm thefts from storage units. If I was in a bind and needed to store firearms and had no relatives where a safe with my own combination lock could sit I'd find a special high security storage service.
Haha maybe it's been a while since you've seen a storage unit. There are new ones popping up all over the place and they are built quite well. I've not seen chain link fence ceilings in modern storage facilities. A few years back I was in the need of a unit while going through some life changes and I stored some valuables in it. The facility had cameras everywhere, heated unit, secure access and I never had any issues at all.

Only time I ever stored at an FFL, was when I made a short trip into Canada. The FFL had a $10 "cleaning Special". I assumed that was per day, but I was only in for a few hours. DR
Before the alphabets screwed it up, it was very common and many a time I would drop off a firearm at an FFL before crossing the border for a "dry fire function test"... and I'll be back in a few weeks. Typical charge for 2-4 weeks was usually somewhere in the $25-$40 range. Of course, there were also times I would buy a bunch of stuff from them where they just said, "don't worry about it".

Using the same border crossings and same FFL over time, they kind of tended to cut you a break or flat out do you a solid.

That's all a thing of the past now, though.

For short term storage purpose, I am going try the pawn solution with an AR lower. The minimum fees are $7 and I will ask for a $2 loan. That should make the pay off amount to pick up about $10 plus the background check fee. Spread over 90 days, that is less than 20 cents a day.

If the pawn shop will allow another person holding the pawn ticket to pick up the firearm for the payoff amount plus background check fee that might be cheaper than a transfer fee.

This might be useful for a number of different situations.

If you had many firearms that needed to be stored, it would probably be better to search out a different solution. But if you only have a few and want to spread them out so they will be less likely to be taken from you, the pawn solution might work?

Last Edited:
For short term storage purpose, I am going try the pawn solution with an AR lower. The minimum fees are $7 and I will ask for a $2 loan. That should make the pay off amount to pick up about $10 plus the background check fee. Spread over 90 days, that is about 22 cents a day.

If the pawn shop will allow another person holding the pawn ticket to pick up the firearm for the payoff amount plus background check fee that might be cheaper than a transfer fee.

This might be useful for a number of different situations.

If you had many firearms that needed to be stored, it would probably be better to search out a different solution. But if you only have a few and want to spread them out so they will be less likely to be taken from you, the pawn solution might work?
To be aware that if you're on a loan and have to default on it because your BCG is taking too long or the ORSC suddenly decides to vacate Judge Raschio's injunction... so you'll now need a permit to get your firearm out of hock... it might not end up being such a great "storage" option, hu(?)

Is the pawn shop going to allow you to extend your loan indefinately? How much will they charge you for their kindness not to default and sell your firearm out from under you? Will they be inclinded to do a 3day release if by not chosing to do so it would "cause" you to default... and they get a $500 firearm for a $2 loan?

They certainly wouldn't be obligated to ignore their own contracts when it's that's the entire business model of their company. And... aren't obligated to release on a 3day if it's not expressly in their contract with you. Just things to think about.

A $30 a year safe deposit box ($0.08/day) and you can store up to 4-6(?) receivers at a time, as many times and for as long as you want in the year... with immediage access to retrieve them at will without having to contend with a BGC or fees.

The pawn shop option will chew up $30 pretty quick it seems just from minimum fees and BGC's... if you did it more than once.

Last Edited:
To be aware that if you're on a loan and have to default on it because your BCG is taking too long or the ORSC suddenly decides to vacate Judge Raschio's injunction... so you'll now need a permit to get your firearm out of hock... it might not end up being such a great "storage" option, hu(?)

Is the pawn shop going to allow you to extend your loan indefinately? How much will they charge you for their kindness not to default and sell your firearm out from under you? Will they be inclinded to do a 3day release if by not chosing to do so it would "cause" you to default... and they get a $500 firearm for a $2 loan?

They certainly wouldn't be obligated to ignore their own contracts when it's that's the entire business model of their company. And... aren't obligated to release on a 3day if it's not expressly in their contract with you. Just things to think about.
Good questions to ask.

A $30 a year safe deposit box ($0.08/day) and you can store up to 4-6(?) receivers at a time, as many times and for as long as you want in the year... with immediage access to retrieve them at will without having to contend with a BGC or fees.

The pawn shop option will chew up $30 pretty quick it seems just from minimum fees and BGC's... if you did it more than once.
Are firearms permitted by banks to be stored in the safety deposit boxes?

Good questions to ask.
Before you go bugging them with a bunch of crazy questions... stop and consider for a moment. In your example, you're basically offering the pawnshop $.08/day to be your "next to free" storage option. Do you honestly think any pawnshop is going to go for that for an $8 gross profit over a 90day period??

Their time just filling out the paperwork and dealing with it... that puts them at a distinct net loss.

Just sayin..... KISS

Last Edited:
Are firearms permitted by banks to be stored in the safety deposit boxes?
Many banks have a bank policy to not store firearms or explosives, but they are not privy to what you put in your private SDB. IF they were to find out, they can contact you, ask you to remove them and cancel your SDB lease agreement. Period.

They are not allowed to access your box without you present (without a warrant) and may not confiscate or dispose of any property.

Interesting. I have to correct myself. Just looking at 2 agreements I have (one in OR and one in NM)... they both only say "explosives or explosive devices". Not "firearms"... but I'm sure if I asked them if a firearm is an "explosive device"... I would get a mix of "yes's", "no's", and "let me go ask my manager's".

That kind of shocks me. I coulda sworn most of them had "firearm" in there. Or maybe I thought once... explosives might mean bullets and that stuck in my head as "firearms"? I dunno. I obviously didn't care enough to remember exactly. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top