JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In that decision Scalia defined enough flexibility in the 2nd to allow it to survive. The same as the first amendment. Rules with too much rigidity quickly become impossible to defend and fall. Positions so rigid as to become unpopular and silly seldom last long in any society. That is what you are up against. Flexibility. In every constitutional amendment has been evident since the beginning. Even the 18th amendment allowed the production and use of alcohol in prescribed ways. If the law becomes so rigid as to loose popularity it will surely be repealed and you will have the risk of loosing it all. Another thing that occurred with the 18th amendment.

But Argo, if we could carry HE grenade launchers, we would never have another bear gun argument. :D

The danger we have right now to the second amendment are these tragic school shootings. That is the type of thing that will sway public opinion and weaken our ability to defend the concept of the 2nd if not the law its self. We have to do a better job in policing the mentally infirm and deranged use of guns in our circles. Answers are very difficult but we as gun owners need to be in that conversation to lend rational thought to the utterly irrational actions of the few. Otherwise we will be unable to protect the legitimate use of guns in our society.

Ask your selves this:

1. Is it reasonable., to tell you that you may not speak your opinion in you own home.
  2. Is it reasonable., to tell you that you may not speak your opinion outside in Public.
  3. Is it reasonable., to tell you that you may not speak your opinion, when detained.
  4. Is it reasonable., to tell you that you may not speak your opinion, when in a court room?
  5. Is it reasonable., to tell you that you may not speak your opinion, upon lethal injection.
The answer according to our rights is no, you shall not be restricted, in doing so.
So why do we allow this nit picking disassembly, of the 2nd Amendment.

We have allowed for too long these slices at our right, not in one fell swoop, but death by a thousands cuts.
The giant still laid sleeping.

Anything the police use is suitable for We the Peons. No WMDs.
As a degreed Professional Gunsmith and certified instructor I think the Vz61 Skorpion machine pistol would be a great choice for HD/SD. Yeah, I know - .32 ACP is pretty weak, but a lot of them makes up for that to some point. Great choice for a lady or us disabled Old Farts like me.
BTW I recently saw an ad from pre-GCA68 offering a 57mm field piece that could be ordered through the mail and delivered to your door. No school shootings then. Hmm.

Let' back up a little bit here! When our founding fathers penned the B.o.R. they knew full well the ramifications of what they wrote and they had various opinions leading up to what actually ended up on paper. At that time, "Arms" meant any thing a man could wield or command, to include Man-0-War with as many guns as it could hold, and crewed by private persons as long as the Shops master carried Letters of Mark issued by the continental congress! In those days, the Army, Navy, and Marines were pretty small and had no real power in the wider are a of the country they were expected to protect, so militias were created with congressional approval and established policy over how and when that was used was set down. We still have the mechanics of that with us today, the CMP for one!
Arms, the term it' self purposely left out definition of on order to cover any and all advancements made in the future, even long after the death of the men who wrote the 2nd! Arms can be any weapon including improvised, and in fact, very few are off limits to civilian ownership! Fact, you CAN purchase a battle ship, a tank, a F-16, and pretty much any thing your heart desires. All you have to do is deactivate the weapons, or pay the tax and file the papers for approval! You can own active weapons as well, the same rules apply, pay the tax, do the papers, and wait for approval.
Reasonable implies there is room to compromise, and yet compromise has lead us to this point in time where we are fighting to protect a God given right against men who seek to control every thing. Those people need to be removed from positions of power and control, by any means necessary, or else, the fight may get bloody before we go ally secure what is rightfully ours, to be forever uncontested!

I would if it we're done right, by organizing it under the banner of the National Guard. In this way it would be officially sanctioned in order to use their ranges for training.
This seems like a strange idea. If the purpose of a militia is the final "balance" why connect it to the government?

I served 10 years in the army and air guard, I have seen some serious bad days.....HERE'S MY OPINION....there is no way on earth that any 18 year old should be allowed to go buy an AR15 and 30 round mags...NO WAY.......
.....Now i do think that an 18 year old should be able to buy a hunting rifle or shotgun right away....And after maybe a few years, like 3 or 4; said firearm owner could then apply for a purchase of a AR15 style rifle. IF they have a clean record for those previous years of ownership......sorry that's how i feel....you wanna fight me over it, ill meet you at the safeway parking lot in woodland at 3pm:).......and that was 10 years of highly decorated service.

Why would anyone want to fight you in a parking lot...?:eek:
Having seen some fighting while in the Army myself...I'd rather not do that again.

That said ... a AR15 can and has been used as a hunting rifle...so it is a hunting rifle.
In fact , it is , just a rifle...no more bad or worse , than any other rifle....
Its not the rifle , nor magazine capacity that is the problem...its the man who misuses the rifle , that is the problem.

I understand that you feel strongly about the AR15 , magazine capacities and age limits...
So do many other folks on here..., but lets not start challenging each other to fights.

Like it or not , at 18 one has the same rights to a rifle that a 48 year old has...
Not all 18 year olds are incapable of the handling the trust and responsibility of firearm ownership...Just like there are 48 year olds , that can not be trusted to own a firearm....
Blanket statements do not speak for everyone ...and often cause more fuss...
Andy

I served 10 years in the army and air guard, I have seen some serious bad days.....HERE'S MY OPINION....there is no way on earth that any 18 year old should be allowed to go buy an AR15 and 30 round mags...NO WAY.......
.....Now i do think that an 18 year old should be able to buy a hunting rifle or shotgun right away....And after maybe a few years, like 3 or 4; said firearm owner could then apply for a purchase of a AR15 style rifle. IF they have a clean record for those previous years of ownership......sorry that's how i feel....you wanna fight me over it, ill meet you at the safeway parking lot in woodland at 3pm:).......and that was 10 years of highly decorated service.

You don't sound tough when you get all puffy like that, you sound 5 feet tall with a complex.

As far as if an 18yo should be able to own an AR, IMO, either an 18yo is an adult, or they're not. If an 18yo can risk their life to protect my rights using a rifle, they can own one.

And that's my opinion, and my fighting days are over God willing;)

it was a joke...the fight in the parking lot:)........Its what the rifles are capable of doing. I dont think that an 18 year shoiuld have that kind of instant power. And....yet I dont think that there should be a restriction on the magazines either...i simply feel that the AR should be not as easily accessible to young adults. Im 45, did i own one when I was 18? Yup i had one when I was 16 actually.....but again I grew up in the 80's before the Internet, Iphones, social media, and binary gender bending.....A time when you took no crap from another guy or even 2 other bullys, you fought that with your fists and guts....NOT Unleashing hell on innocent class mates because the sorry SOB shooter is a spineless medicated pile thats full of hate because nobody "liked them or friended" them on facebook..

truth be told...it really doesnt matter anyways at this point in the game...there are more ARs in our country that could ever be policed up....its sovereign now. not gonna change. I think we need to manage the people that have them.

it was a joke...the fight in the parking lot:)........Its what the rifles are capable of doing. I dont think that an 18 year shoiuld have that kind of instant power. And....yet I dont think that there should be a restriction on the magazines either...i simply feel that the AR should be not as easily accessible to young adults. Im 45, did i own one when I was 18? Yup i had one when I was 16 actually.....but again I grew up in the 80's before the Internet, Iphones, social media, and binary gender bending.....A time when you took no crap from another guy or even 2 other bullys, you fought that with your fists and guts....NOT Unleashing hell on innocent class mates because the sorry SOB shooter is a spineless medicated pile thats full of hate because nobody "liked them or friended" them on facebook..

Someone isn't less dead if they get shot with a pump shotgun. It's a tool, the person behind it is the weapon.

Still it is not the gun....it is the person who misuses it , that is the problem.
Any time you have a gun , any gun , you have "instant power"* , as you put it...its all in what you do with the gun , that really matters.

*As for that "instant power"...I don't feel that way when I have a gun near or in my hand..again , blanket statements , rarely speak for everyone....
Andy

...actually a shotgun is a lot less lethal than a 5.56 / .223 at various ranges....that 5.56's energy at 50 or even 100 yards is approx 1000 ft lbs........shoot me with a 12 gauge at 75 yards and I am gonna come at ya big time. shoot me with a 5.56 55gr or heavier bullet at even 300 yards you'll prob make a kill....see the dif?

...actually a shotgun is a lot less lethal than a 5.56 / .223 at various ranges....that 5.56's energy at 50 or even 100 yards is approx 1000 ft lbs........shoot me with a 12 gauge at 75 yards and I am gonna come at ya big time. shoot me with a 5.56 55gr or heavier bullet at even 300 yards you'll prob make a kill....see the dif?

Is there a big issue of 18 year olds shooting people at long range?o_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top