JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'v been wanting an 03-A3 for sometime. Pretty much since shortly after I got the Enfield I guess. Finally jumped on this. It's been at a monthly show for four months. I've been, and eyeballed it, for three of them. I Finally pried the gun money purse open and Went for it.

P1040687.JPG

P1040688.JPG P1040689.JPG P1040690.JPG P1040692.JPG P1040693.JPG

Really excited to get it apart and inspect various stamps and such.

Pics didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. Anybody want to share anything about these. I don't know a whole lot, except I wanted a piece of American History, with a peep sight for these older eyes.

That's what I love about this place, throw up a couple pictures and a question and the good members JUMP at the chance to gab about it. After I bought this and continued wandering around the show I had three people ask if a was selling, and about six others that were offering up info and reloading supplies that I was going to need.

Awesome score Mikej, sweet rifle!
I have always had a soft spot for the 1903, and especially the A-3. Often considered the best varient, and certainly the easiest to use accurately. I still say the 03-A3 was the greatest bolt action fighting rifle of all time!
A well trained soldier armed with a 1903 was truely a formidable force to be reckoned with!
And, for those who claim the Garand was the rifle that won WW2, tell that to the Marines in the south pacific!;)

I have always had a soft spot for the 1903, and especially the A-3. Often considered the best varient, and certainly the easiest to use accurately. I still say the 03-A3 was the greatest bolt action fighting rifle of all time!
A well trained soldier armed with a 1903 was truely a formidable force to be reckoned with!
And, for those who claim the Garand was the rifle that won WW2, tell that to the Marines in the south pacific!;)

The Marines won despite the 1903, not because of it!

Did it come from the Oregon Arms Collectors show?

Indeed it did. One of the members is selling off an older gentleman's collection. The No1 MKIII I got a few months ago is from the same guy. The gentleman had good taste in fire arms.

Mine's my favorite blaster.. bought it for $80 when I was 16.

Man, if I had a buck for every time I've heard/read that! I didn't even start looking at old rifles to buy until about 2 years ago. :(

Looks like a very nice example.
If you don't mind, what was the tariff ?

$750.00. Seems like a lot of $$$, but from my research that's pretty much what a good one is going for, unless you find someone hard up for cash, or it's been chopped up/sporterized.

The Marines won despite the 1903, not because of it!

Do tell you two! I'd like to hear the opinions/facts/history/lies and lore, anything from folks that know, or think they know, these rifles!:D

I'll look on line, but is there anything peculiar/particular about taking one of these down?

Anybody want to share anything about these. I don't know a whole lot, except I wanted a piece of American History, with a peep sight for these older eyes.

After Dunkirk the British were desperate for rifles. In early 1941 they contracted with Remington to produce the M1903 chambered for the British .303 round. Remington leased the old Rock Island Arsenal M1903 tooling and jigs and prepared for production. After Pearl Harbor it was the Americans who were desperate for rifles. Remington was gearing up for M1903 production so they cancelled their British contract and began making M1903 rifles for the US. Remington found they could speed up production by simplifying the design with a peep rear sight, more stamped parts, and a 2-groove barrel and received a contract to produce the updated and simplified design designated the 03-A3. A second contract was let to Smith Corona to produce the 03-A3 design. Production began in late 1942 and was completed in February 1944 with 707,629 rifles made by Remington and 234,580 rifles made by Smith Corona.

By the time the 03-A3 was in full production there were adequate numbers of M1 (Garand) Rifles for front line use so the 03-A3 was mostly used by military police,

photo_le_molay_littry_1944_normandie_06.jpg

rear echelon troops

courtesy-usmilitariaforum.com_1.jpg

including those in the US, and for training. Because they were lightly used many were essentially new when they were put into storage at the end of World War II. Because of their excellent condition and peep rear sights they make good shooters Gun Review: M1903A3 Rifle - The Truth About Guns

One thing to watch out for is reactivated drill rifles. Many 03-A3 rifles were deactivated for drill use by welding a rod into the barrel or drilling a hole in the barrel, welding the barrel to the receiver, and welding the magazine cut-off.

steelrodsLarge_zpsbe9e3668.jpg
drillchamberLarge_zps43b098fd.jpg
barrelweldLarge_zpsff4c6b79.jpg
front2backLarge_zps8d50a1ed.jpg

As supplies of 03-A3s dried up and demand continued, drill rifles were reactivated by companies and individuals by removing the welds, installing new barrels, and refinishing the metal. Consensus on reactivating 03-A3 drill rifles (and other pertinent questions) - CMP Forums

When considering an 03-A3 check the magazine cut-off area and barrel-receiver junction for evidence of grinding and refinishing.

My three 03-A3s, two Remingtons and a Smith Corona.

DSC08075a_zpsa6b9bf69.jpg

The 03-A3 was the basis for the 03-A4 sniper rifle.

DSC04534.jpg
DSC04537.jpg

Some 03-A3 rifles are being used to make reproduction 03-A4 sniper rifles 1903-A4 Sniper Rifle

While original 03-A4 sniper rifles were marked 03-A3, not 03-A4, you can tell a real 03-A4 sniper from a reproduction by looking at the serial number and markings on the receiver ring. The markings and serial number on real 03-A4 snipers were moved to the sides of the receiver ring so they wouldn't be covered by the front scope mount.

DSC04518.jpg

A sharp observer might spot a sporterized genuine 03-A4 sniper rifle being advertised as an "03-A3" because that's what it says on the receiver. The location of the markings on the side of the receiver ring, upside down when viewed from the side, is the clue to the rifle's true identity.

The markings on reproduction sniper rifles are covered by the front scope mount.

n-30-06-Caliber-Assembled-in-2013-By-U-S-Armament-Minty-Limited_101190662_70986_05D8C2A55DDC795C.jpg

Last Edited:
The first several years or WWII had the U.S. running a "Europe First" operation, so, troops in the Pacific got the left overs and hand me downs, while Some Garands were available( and highly prized) in the pacific, much of the fighting was done with the 03 and others until greater numbers of M-1s became available to Marines and Army forces!

Thanks a bunch. Very interesting. Got it fully down, took the bolt apart and cleaned the dark brown smelly stuff out of it. It doesn't have many markings on the metal. Nothing really distinctive. Couldn't find any other manufacturer markings besides "R" on the parts. considering it's age, 4-43, the bolt shows very little wear through in the, bluing? Not sure what the finish is? Parkerizing is rough isn't it?

Now to get some ammo. I'm thinking PPU 150gr. Box says optimized for M1 Garand, and reading states slightly lower pressure. Less recoil would be good for me. :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top