JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Favorite pic from WV
upload_2016-3-7_8-2-39.png

This should be the big push by the pro gun lobby here in Oregon for the next legislative session. Repeal the restrictions on the Second Amendment.

Make Oregon a Constitutional Carry State... Let's face it asking permission to exercise a right, it's no right at all but then a privilege...

The 2nd Amendment is the law. The same as you don't get a license for free speech.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a connection between self defense tools and the self defense itself. :)

The 2nd Amendment is the law. The same as you don't get a license for free speech.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a connection between self defense tools and the self defense itself. :)

Not so much. Your self defense can achieved with a stick, sling or even a knife.

The 2nd is about ownership of firearms.

So, why would anyone carry a firearm in public, if not for selfdefense? Is there any other reason for carrying a firearm at a Walmart parking lot? You can't hunt there, and there are no targetshooting sport events there. Also if officials they ask you "why do you want to carry a firearm", the only good answer is for selfdefense. If you say anything else, there is a good chance you don't get that license.

So, why would anyone carry a firearm in public, if not for selfdefense? Is there any other reason for carrying a firearm at a Walmart parking lot? You can't hunt there, and there are no targetshooting sport events there. Also if officials they ask you "why do you want to carry a firearm", the only good answer is for selfdefense. If you say anything else, there is a good chance you don't get that license.

Look at this from a different perspective for a minute.

The 2nd Amendment guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Period.

It says nothing about keeping them for hunting, self defense, compensating for a small package or even to make yourself look cool.

Steve32 said:
Also if officials they ask you "why do you want to carry a firearm", the only good answer is for selfdefense.
The correct answer is "because I can". When you narrow firearm ownership solely into a self defense position you lose ground. You conceded that if you are not living in a place that has a threat or a low chance of a threat then your 2nd Amendment rights no longer apply. You cannot narrowly pinpoint reasons why you own or carry. For sake of argument let's keep ownership and carrying the same.

"Why do I carry?" -> Because I can. No extra justification needed or required.

"Why do I carry?" -> Because I can. No extra justification needed or required.

Since they can deny your application for a licence, the "because I can" is maybe true, but not the answer they are waiting for. I did read a lot about what is the answer you must give, and the "for selfdefense" is the one everyone suggested.

So, technically you are right and I agree with you, however a "because I can" answer can cost the approval of that license.

If any of your planned defense of your family involves a firearms and you filled out a 4473 and then a BGC to secure that firearm you sure did ask for permission.

You've got a point there. Although it was permission to buy a gun, rather than to carry it - not that the distinction matters.

All I can do is give Robert Heinlein's answer:
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Of course I could have avoided inconsistency by using an unpapered gun, but I have never bothered with that. To tell you the truth, the point never occurred to me until you mentioned it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top