JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does it help that it has 2 tanks right now?

It depends on the type, condition and size and location of the tanks.

If they are pressure tanks, then what size are they?

Do they hold pressure for a long time?

Pressure tanks are good, the larger the better if they are in good shape. This keeps the pump from turning on so often.

If they are simply storage tanks, then how much head do they have?

It depends on the type, condition and size and location of the tanks. If they are pressure tanks, then what size are they? Do they hold pressure for a long time? Pressure tanks are good, the larger the better if they are in good shape. This keeps the pump from turning on so often. If they are simply storage tanks, then how much head do they have?

According to this irrigation website: Elevation Pressure Loss in Irrigation Systems 1 foot of elevation equals .433 PSIG. So he needs to get up 15 feet to gain something like 6 PSIG. On the other hand, how much do you really need for showering, flushing and cooking? Put the water tower up 20 feet and that'd give you a passive pressure of 8 PSIG give or take a bit. If you've got a hillside above the house? Put that water tank as high as you can so long as its protected (along with the water line) and you should be pretty good if things turn out right for you

100 feet of head is a minimum in my book, Keep in mind Hazen-Williams friction loss too. With small piping you could drop 15 psi in a hurry. 100 feet of head with 2" main pipe will leave you with over 40 psi unless your traveling a long long ways. Spend the money and start with 2" all the way to the house.

I'm working on a personal project where I have only 100 feet of head to work with and plumbing some 2,500+ feet.

You need about 40 PSI for many appliances to work. Many clothes washers won't turn on without enough pressure. Some dishwashers won't either.

I've not tried a low pressure shower, but I would think less than 10 PSI would just dribble out - it is a restricting at the shower head after all. Might work, but remember that there are a lot of restrictions and bends and places where the water needs to go up.

Generally 40 PSI is the benchmark minimum for house water pressure.

Can you wash food/dishes/hands at a sink with less? Sure.

But others things won't work so well.

You need about 40 PSI for many appliances to work. Many clothes washers won't turn on without enough pressure. Some dishwashers won't either.

Generally 40 PSI is the benchmark minimum for house water pressure. Can you wash food/dishes/hands at a sink with less? Sure. But others things won't work so well.

This part is outside of my skill base as I've never worked on the pressurizer tanks. Having said that, Yes, high water pressure is a good thing within limits.

The house were I grew up in (1338 Bay St. Port Orchard, WA, 98366) is a dock/pier out over Sinclair Inlet in Puget Sound. Without the pressure reducer our water pressure was about 140 PSIG if I remember right as a boy- installing the reducer lowered it to a "manageable" 90 PSIG or so. With 2 water tanks blowing their emergency valves once a week until the problem was figured out by the water department my Dad was "not a happy camper" when we first bought the house. Nor was he a happy camper when he realized that broken pipes sucked so around October to April the kitchen valve was cracked being the farthest valve away to keep the water moving enough so it wouldn't freeze.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top