JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand the need to camouflage your secure spaces on occasion, but I prefer the idea of my items locked in steel and bolted to the house. That being said, it looks like well built, clever furniture. The end table seems like less of a gimmick than the shelving unit...

Conceals against theft, but I'm sure a fire wouldn't care how hidden your priceless collection is. I would much rather prefer a nice, high quality fire/burglary safe. I'm sure the safe would cost the same, if not less than custom furniture like that stuff.

Wow, that is really a nice unit! I agree that steel and fireproofing is the way to go for firearms, however there are a lot of items of mid-value that could be hidden. I am always running behind on safes for ammo. Storing some in these shelves would help.

Nobody "tops" Hogan's Heroes.........Dis..............missed!

Seriously, If I was a "fire"..........,

The first place I would look for something valuable to burn would be behind paneling or wainscoting....:s0131:

The second place I would look would be a refrigerator or freezer........:s0131:

Half-inch gypsum is fire-rated for 20 min; it wouldn't take long to add it on the inside of
whatever. I believe that is what makes gun safes fire protective, along with the melting seal.

Great ideas but the last thing I would be doing is making a video of it and posting it on the internet usless of course you make them to sell, but if they are the same, same then thieves will eventually see the video.

I love watching the videos because they lock ideas into my head, but once I make something, or add a feature into a home I will not be doing a video or telling anyone, not even my bestest of bestest of friends

Love the center console in the bookshelf. Definitely a good idea for any enterprising craftsman or for those hiding weapons from pesky government officials! Haha.

When it comes to having your items protected from fire, it definitely is very important to do your research. Gypsum board by itself tends to crumble in a fire after a certain time-frame, so it's important to find a safe that reinforces or sandwiches the gypsum. Otherwise the top half of your safe contents will be at risk for damage.

If you buy a quality safe and bolt it down properly, no one is going to "walk off" with it as mentioned in the video! Great idea but for $3800.00 I can buy a safe that even a pro burglar would have a hard time opening plus have fire protection.

The level of protection you get out of any "security" apparatus is a matter of time and threat. Yes, it's great to have stuff hidden, but if it were the feds who essentially have an unlimited amount of time, all of your goodies will eventually be discovered. If they "know" that there's something they're looking for in their search warrant in the house, they will take it down the studs if they have to.

Burglars OTOH have a limited time on target, and unless you're dealing with the most determined of tweakers who have already stolen everything else of value and are now working on taking your copper pipe and wiring they probably won't find the goodies contained in this rather nice looking shelf.

As to the cost issues... real, handmade, solid hardwood furniture is very expensive stuff, if this cabinet is made even mostly out of solid hardwood it's a steal even at $3800, now if it's thin veneer over particle board there are few reasons to pay much more than twice the price of ikea furniture.

For fire protection gypsum board is used because even in it's "solid" state gypsum is a hydrated molecule, thus it gives off steam and cools itself off when exposed to high heat, but this protection only lasts until it's out of steam, then it falls apart.

The level of protection you get out of any "security" apparatus is a matter of time and threat. Yes, it's great to have stuff hidden, but if it were the feds who essentially have an unlimited amount of time, all of your goodies will eventually be discovered. If they "know" that there's something they're looking for in their search warrant in the house, they will take it down the studs if they have to.

Burglars OTOH have a limited time on target, and unless you're dealing with the most determined of tweakers who have already stolen everything else of value and are now working on taking your copper pipe and wiring they probably won't find the goodies contained in this rather nice looking shelf.

As to the cost issues... real, handmade, solid hardwood furniture is very expensive stuff, if this cabinet is made even mostly out of solid hardwood it's a steal even at $3800, now if it's thin veneer over particle board there are few reasons to pay much more than twice the price of ikea furniture.

For fire protection gypsum board is used because even in it's "solid" state gypsum is a hydrated molecule, thus it gives off steam and cools itself off when exposed to high heat, but this protection only lasts until it's out of steam, then it falls apart.

And that steam is contained within the now-sealed gun safe, with dire consequences for the firearms inside.

And that steam is contained within the now-sealed gun safe, with dire consequences for the firearms inside.

Steam comes in a few different varieties, the kind of steam we're talking about here should do precious little damage to all but the finest of firearms on the timescales we're talking about, clearly a fire would be orders of magnitude more damaging.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top