JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Awesome range, great people.

I'm just really fixated on how it's physically possible...did it shave the bullet down to .270? If so, that action has to be strongest thing ever.
Since there was no bullet in the bore I would have to assume it sized the bullet
I do remember it was remington 308 factory ammo.

Awesome range, great people.

I'm just really fixated on how it's physically possible...did it shave the bullet down to .270? If so, that action has to be strongest thing ever.

Yes, bet it was a long, skinny bullet that went down that barrel. I've heard of this kind of thing before. The 308 round would probably headspace on the bullet, at least enough to fire. The only thing that would save a person would be that the smaller 308 case has less powder for a smaller capacity chamber. All else being equal less powder in a larger chamber equals less pressure. But then you're swaging a .308 bullet through a .277 barrel, and that will increase the pressure a bunch. It sounds like the former offset the latter enough that the rifle didn't blow up, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. The next time he might not be so lucky.

I shoot 160gr cast bullets in my .300 BO, and there's no way they will chamber in a 5.56 chamber, bullets too big. I don't even have any that will, but I'm still careful to know what ammo goes in what gun. I did have a guy tell me that he could shoot .308 Win ammo in his Mosin Nagant. I told him I thought that was a very bad idea.

Yes, bet it was a long, skinny bullet that went down that barrel. I've heard of this kind of thing before. The 308 round would probably headspace on the bullet, at least enough to fire. The only thing that would save a person would be that the smaller 308 case has less powder for a smaller capacity chamber. All else being equal less powder in a larger chamber equals less pressure. But then you're swaging a .308 bullet through a .277 barrel, and that will increase the pressure a bunch. It sounds like the former offset the latter enough that the rifle didn't blow up, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. The next time he might not be so lucky.

I shoot 160gr cast bullets in my .300 BO, and there's no way they will chamber in a 5.56 chamber, bullets too big. I don't even have any that will, but I'm still careful to know what ammo goes in what gun. I did have a guy tell me that he could shoot .308 Win ammo in his Mosin Nagant. I told him I thought that was a very bad idea.
I could be wrong but I think it was the mauser claw extractor that held the 308 cartridge to the bolt face enough to ignite the primer I don't think the bullet ever head spaced in that chamber.

I could be wrong but I think it was the mauser claw extractor that held the 308 cartridge to the bolt face enough to ignite the primer I don't think the bullet ever head spaced in that chamber.

That's probably so. I was just guessing. I'll bet it was a funny looking empty case!

Bummer the gun was ruined, but really glad no one was hurt. I suspect the lesson has been learned and the point made. Probably never have to worry about this happening again.

I've seen this happen. Louder than usual bang. Scared the heck out of the shooter but he had only minor wounds. Destroyed the upper and magazine but the lower was intact. Glad your kid is OK. Now he has a story to tell his grandkids one day.
"Grampa what's an AR? Is it some kind of musket?"
"Shut up and eat your Soilent Green."

:D

(Just channeling Certaindeaf I guess... :))

Spend about an hour trying to dig the shell out of the chamber with a broken shell extractor. Wasnt going to move. Then I popped in a spiral screw extractor and it came out in 3 seconds. Barrel has no damage. The bolt is actually OK but the extractor is toast. The carrier is blown out on the bottom, the rear lug sheered off the upper and the upper is cracked across the top. Otherwise Ive seen worse..

ISGHwL.jpg

Worse one i ever did was .243 in a .308! Man, that scared rhe bejesus out of me! No damage to the rifle and i have a nice fireformed .308 now to remember with! Funny thing, the bullet actually hit the target, about 4 inches low and a foot to the right! Lol
:D
Didn't some one here just put a .308 through a .30/06? @v0lcom13sn0w, know of any one?:p:p:p

Last Edited:
Maybe it's already been mentioned, but since you said the barrel is ok I'm assuming that the .30 cal bullet made it all the way down the .22 cal barrel?

The worse I ever did was a 40s&w in a kimber 45. No damage down but sure was a wake up call. Sure blew the sidewalls on that case out.

In regards to 300 blk being able to be chambered in 5.56 I read somewhere that when the bolt hits the casing at full speed, and the bullet hits the barrel, it actually pushes the bullet back into the casing, allowing the bolt to go into battery and able to fire.

If you just let the bolt down slowly (testing to see if it will chamber) it won't due to the .30 cal not fitting into .22.

Never tested this but read on another website somewhere...

My buddy did this with an aluminum cased .40S&W out of his para 1911. Made the strangest sound I've ever heard, cycled the action with no damage to the pistol... He stopped dumping all his pistol ammo into one can after that.

It's unwise to even take those two calibers to the range at the same time. It's just trouble waiting to happen.

Precision Shooting Mag had a story of this happening to a shooter. He was shooting 240gr Matchkings, and one lodged in the .224" bore, wrecking the gun of course. When they drove it out, it was a rather Looonnnggg bullet...

This is why my 300 black out is tan and only gets tan mags my 5.56 is black and only get black mags and I do everything I can to keep them separate lol and I and only I load the mags
Had the same issue and put a 300 into a mag of 556. Luckily I stopped at one. Eventually got it out but still had me wondering "What if?". I had all black mags so put a piece of red tape on my 300 mag well, red tape stripes on my bulk 300 ammo, and matching red tape on my mags for the 300. Like the idea of the two different color mags tho.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top