JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Friends don't let friends who don't know what they are doing play with guns they dont know how to operate properly.

This is also why you don't let someone else load your magazines... kinda like packing a parachute.

This is why my 300 black out is tan and only gets tan mags my 5.56 is black and only get black mags and I do everything I can to keep them separate lol and I and only I load the mags

This is why my 300 black out is tan and only gets tan mags my 5.56 is black and only get black mags and I do everything I can to keep them separate lol and I and only I load the mags
This ^^^
Color Code those mags Pa !
AND have a Safety Meeting with all the boys.
We do the same thing in construction (Safety Meeting) when we are about to engage in a potentially dangerous task.

Last Edited:
I built him an AR "pistol" with 5.56 and 300 BO uppers. I reiterated MANY times that he should NEVER mix the two. Yep. He went shooting with idiots and they mixed'em up. Blew the lugs off the upper, destroyed the BCG completely , sheered off the bolt catch etc. . No one got hurt but Ive seen much worse on other forums.

Be careful. Heading down to Albany to rebuild tomorrow. Hopefully he learned something.

Let him rebuild it himself. Then you can be assured that he learned the lesson.

Friends don't let friends who don't know what they are doing play with guns they dont know how to operate properly.

This is also why you don't let someone else load your magazines... kinda like packing a parachute.

Having been stuck on parachute packing duty for a month after jump school...

In a 270 winchester CZ 550 rifle a friend shot a 308 Winchester cartridge. Amazingly other than having to hammer the rifle open with a 2X4 there was no damage done. We talk about about how much pressure there had to have been. He had the rifle magnafluxed and there were no issues. He has killed a couple of deer with it since then. Sometimes you get really lucky other times not so much.

Yeah. His friends were loading mags and put a box full of 300 BO in a magazine and then filled it up the rest of the way with .223. Had the .223 upper on it and he only saw the .223 in the mag when he stuck it in. 300 BO Will chamber in a .223 but that pesky 30 cal bullet wont go down the bore.
I am surprised that the 300 would chamber far enough to allow the pin to hit the primer. I would have thought that it would have been the 5.56 in a 300 chamber that blew it up. Did he have to hit the forward assist to push it home?

No. The bullet is very short in those and easily chambers. .223 will not fully chamber in 300 BO.

I was heading down there today anyway.

Down here in Albany. The barrel and bolt are OK oddly enough. Carrier is 5 kinds of toast. Needs an extractor and Ive a broken shell to dig out of the chamber. Rear lug is blown off the upper receiver. Bolt catch is broke. He got off lucky. Ill probably just spitcan the whole upper.

I ignorantly bought an AR pistol that was really nice, didn't even notice or pay attention that it was a 300 and not a 556.
Took it to the range and pulled the trigger, nothing. it wouldn't go into battery.
Tried a couple times.

Then I found why and it hit me like a punch to the guy. How bad that could have been.

I got lucky the 556 wouldn't seat enough to be able to engage the firing pin.

That sticks with you as a good lesson

I just learned something important. A .300 Black Out WILL chamber in a 5.56 AR upper. A 5.56 usually will NOT chamber in a .300 BO. Got it. Do not feel too bad. Crazy things have happened with the AR15.

About 28 years ago I had a customer admit to have been drinking and hand loaded 25.0 grains of 2400, (?) into a 5.56 case. He thought it was 748. The CAR lasted about 10 rounds before finally melting up tight.

I eventually sent the welded and blown up upper to the barrel maker. They had to band saw the thing lengthwise. Then they said they mounted it on a walnut board with an engraved event statement. Sobering.

A very smart and educated close family member revved up her brand new sports car, (unknown make and model) then slammed the auto tranny from neutral into drive. Exploded the entire automatic transmission.

Lots of crazy stories of strange stuff happening. All it takes it just one second of not paying attention to what you are doing. Heavy fast spinning machinery comes to mind. That and old fashioned dress ties.

Yikes! :(

I built him an AR "pistol" with 5.56 and 300 BO uppers. I reiterated MANY times that he should NEVER mix the two. Yep. He went shooting with idiots and they mixed'em up.

Glad no one was hurt. The closest I've come to this was one time I was at an indoor range and paid $15 to rent anything in 9mm...I shot a bunch of differnent pistols and I finally came to one that wouldn't cycle and was mangling the brass...after 2 shots I finally looked and saw that while I requested a 9mm, the pistol was chambered in .40.

That being said, I appreciate the interchangeability between 5.56 and 300 BO but it can be a curse. I almost wish they would have not kept the same bolt or belted the round or something silly to prevent these mix ups. I get it, the responsibility is on the operator, but it's just a little too much risk for me to have a platform that is typically in 5.56 in a different caliber (and most guys own both calibers) that will still chamber.

Other than it not being stuck in the barrel we assume down range but honestly where the bullet went was not a primary concern. This happened at Douglas Ridge many years ago. He got lucky and i.learned a lot that day myself.
I honestly have no idea where the cartridge went

Awesome range, great people.

I'm just really fixated on how it's physically possible...did it shave the bullet down to .270? If so, that action has to be strongest thing ever.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top