JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Miculek and Hickock45 make a pretty good case for the Iso. I learned to shoot pistols Weaver & I have arthritis in my shoulders so Weaver it is for me. Also, at 70 I don't feel like relearning basic technique when Weaver works.

My preferred "fighting stance" would be somewhere on the flight deck of a loaded B-52 several thousand feet above the fight... :D

"If you can read this, Kick Me HERE! *arrow pointing to fuse*"

However I happen to be standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, crawling, laying, etc. will be the stance I take if the shooting needs to start.

Target shooting I'd say I'm weaver-esque.

Until you wear body armor and catch one in the arm hole while shooting weaver style. Happened to a friend of mine.

Ya I dont' own body armor so all I have is that arm to catch the shot. I don't get into gunfights, never pointed a gun in anger. I have hunted for years with powerful handguns and found the weaver gives me best control.o_O

Ya know, after a SD incident, the nice Law Enforcement folk do not care which stance you used nor will they enter it on their official reports for posterity to see.

Bottom line, ya gott'r done now didn't ya?

Just saying mind ya...

Well, after reading article after article on the topic, I have come to the conclusion that I don't give a flying f*** what stance you think is better, and I'm going to do what I've been doing all along because I shoot very well with it.

(No, I'm NOT going to tell you which one I use!):cool:
O.G. - the only way!
Pistol_held_sideways.jpg

The gent above that said use what works best nailed it. When I was teaching classes I demonstrated The Iso, Weaver and Chapman or modified weaver and urged my students to try all three and use what helped them perform best. I use the Chapman.

What 'stance' is it if you are shooting while walking? And would you be out of balance while doing this? I like that video bbbass. The stance doesn't really matter. Just be in balance and manage that recoil. I dig it.

As I have aged, I find it more difficult to maintain a rigid arm position, to bend my legs, to hunch my shoulders and head forward, etc. My tendency now is to shoot more Weaveresque. However, I don't shoot as well that way. Follow up shots are sloppy and all over the place. When I push my arms out, it forces me to lock my wrists and I have better recoil control.

IMO we should all be practicing 4 or more shots instead of 2 or 3. I know if I ever am in a real shoot, I don't wanna be stuck in the "shoot 2rds and see" mode. Tactical shooting is just different.

What 'stance' is it if you are shooting while walking?
Good thinking!:) IMO the upper body setup remains the same while the lower body is moving forward or backward. BTW, what stance am I using while running away?;) Or moving to cover/concealment? Learning to shoot from different positions/modes is important!:cool:

Last Edited:
I'm right handed, left-eye dominant so I tend to favor a modified weaver to get the gun over to my left eye. I also tilt my head up to see the front sight through my progressive lenses. I'm sure you could use a photo of me as an example of "what not to do" in the books but it works for me. Sometimes, you just gotta do what feels right.

There's a part in all my classes that's called "Anatomically Speaking". It addresses the fact that even though we all have the same body parts, not everyone can use them the same way. Injury, age, medication and cross eye dominant can affect how such things are used.

Let your body choose what's best for it. It will let you know if you listen to it. That way you'll find your natural point of aim without forcing it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top