JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, after reading article after article on the topic, I have come to the conclusion that I don't give a flying bubblegum what stance you think is better, and I'm going to do what I've been doing all along because I shoot very well with it.

(No, I'm NOT going to tell you which one I use!):cool:

:s0104:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol.

I'm sure there is merit to all of them in a specific situation where they excel over the others in that situation.

Generally, as long as you can get bullets on target faster than someone who has made you their target and is trying to do the same, it doesn't matter what stance you do it in.

When I am teaching others, I prefer to teach a variation of the isoceles. Its far easier to help new shooters stay consistent in their development during a range trip when they are exerting relatively equal force on their grip of the firearms with arms relatively equally forward and a stance that they can apply easily to self regulate if they are leaning forward enough as opposed to leaning back. With all the other factors that make it difficult on new shooters, I want the stance to be something they don't really have to think about. They can play with their stance and do and changes after they have learned and developed the skills to hit a target consistently and applying the fundamentals that involve the hands to gun interface and using the sights.

The ISO stance was made for competition in the IPSC game that used 38 supers that were compensated for low recoil. It's a gamers stance for low recoil guns and non tactical shooting in my opinion, it wins the games every time.

I make my best shots with one hand, a straight posture, and my left hand tucked behind my back. Yeah, i shoot well like a duelist.

Last Edited:
I guess if you're going to gun fight standing still, anything that gets rounds on target will will work. Personally, my gun fighting philosophy has 2 parts: 1. Get to shootin'. 2. Get to movin'. And that's the way I train.

The ISO stance was made for competition in the IPSC game that used 38 supers that were compensated for low recoil. It's a gamers stance for low recoil guns and non tactical shooting in my opinion, it wins the games every time.
ISO also works better with armor or a vest by squaring you to the incoming round, while a bladed stance increases the risk of getting one in an unprotected area.

I usually favor one- or two-hand variations on Ayoob's StressFire "Shotokan Punch" (strongside bladed forward, weak behind, like you're throwing a punch with your full weight behind it except there's a gun in your fist) for conventional handguns, but for my AR I find myself reversing that, weak side forward so that my body screens the weapon somewhat in a "protected gun" position. Downside is as a southpaw with a right-ejecting AR, Hot Brass protection is a must...

The most important thing, as I always used to tell my students, is to not get hung up on what The Word Of Experts says, but to test different techniques, know your own body and figures out what works best FOR YOU. The best doctrine is always based on simple adaptation of what you're already predisposed to do, not trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

My preferred method when in the Army went like this :
Grabs radio handset..."Hey you , this is me , Fire Mission , over..." :D

That said this works for me:
The most important thing, as I always used to tell my students, is to not get hung up on what The Word Of Experts says, but to test different techniques, know your own body and figures out what works best FOR YOU. The best doctrine is always based on simple adaptation of what you're already predisposed to do, not trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Andy

Also, to periodically RE-test things... sometimes something new comes along that fits better, or... well, as we age and our bodies and musculature change we frequently can't do things the way we did when young and lean and thus have to adapt accordingly. But that goes back to "knowing your own body and what fits it."

Well, after reading article after article on the topic, I have come to the conclusion that I don't give a flying f*** what stance you think is better, and I'm going to do what I've been doing all along because I shoot very well with it.

(No, I'm NOT going to tell you which one I use!):cool:

:s0104:
Whatever you do, keep your off arm straight out in front of you because you never know when you'll be shooting a rifle and that's what the internet says to do.

larls

I am no expert, don't ever claim to be one but I do observe pretty well. Started shooting IPSC matches a long time ago and it was a time when 45acp was still in the game. Rob Latham pushed 45s out of the game by first going to hot loaded 38 supers and guns that were ported to keep recoil down to nothing. Then he became the father of the ISO stance and rode it to victory for a lot of years.

Games are won by accuracy, power and speed. If you watch videos you see them running from target to target, forward in most cases or lateral because ranges are set up that way for safety. While the ISO stance is the best ever for these games I don't like it for powerful handguns. 9mm and down rocks but once recoil takes place in the bigger calibers I can control the gun better with the weaver stance.

I have other reasons I believe it's better but to each their own. In IPSC I shot C class with a stock 45 and weaver stance

I am no expert, don't ever claim to be one but I do observe pretty well. Started shooting IPSC matches a long time ago and it was a time when 45acp was still in the game. Rob Latham pushed 45s out of the game by first going to hot loaded 38 supers and guns that were ported to keep recoil down to nothing. Then he became the father of the ISO stance and rode it to victory for a lot of years.
As Ayoob called it, the "raceguns and spaceguns" era, "trick sights and no recoil and telekinetic triggers." Every time I've considered IPSC, I've looked mainly at Limited-10 because it seems more the realm of old-school single-stack .45--my one reservation is that even though I haven't got one yet I'm really into Longslides and not sure if the extra inch would be a DQ.

Don't forget short and stout, baby!

th?id=OIP.FagsYpXuaGDXvxYWmqcRsAHaF7&w=204&h=163&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

lol

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR