JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I perused what I could find here on priming which yielded primarily the Best of, opines.
I have loaded for over forty years and shoot up to 100 rounds a month using only lee hand loaders. (using an arbor press not a hammer)
I would like to usurp the priming process (And only the priming) with a more expeditious method yet with "feel", if you get my drift.
I have moderate hand strength but weakens rapidly with repetition. Hand tools like diagonal cutters and tin snips I used to operate one handed I now sometimes have to use two.
I load about 200 rounds a setting, mainly 45-70 and 45 colt but less frequently up to five lessor calibers.

If you please, will someone juxtapose hand priming machines with the bench priming models with respect to Effort, speed, feel and convenience?
I like what I have read and seen with the self feeding hand primers but have no clue to the energy required to operate them. I'm not opposed to the bench models, but don't look as speedy or convenient as the hand units.
What say you older brothers in (hand loading) arms?
Thank you kindly

I use the RCBS hand primer that came with the set I bought. I like it as you can feel how much force is being exerted on each primer. It does not take a lot of hand strength to use it. I can easily sit in my chair and prime a thousand at a sitting, using only one hand to squeeze the handle. You can also use two hands, that way requiring less strength. With the way my hand fits the tool I would get a sore spot in one area so I finally went to wearing a glove which alleviated the problem. As I have never used another type of primer tool I can offer no other advice.

I also have the small handheld priming tool. BUT working with my hands all day long, everyday leaves them tired.
So I ended up buying the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. You can feel the primer seating just like in the small hand held version, yet you have the large lever that makes it super easy to seat it.
No more tired hand seating primers!

I also have the small handheld priming tool. BUT working with my hands all day long, everyday leaves them tired.
So I ended up buying the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. You can feel the primer seating just like in the small hand held version, yet you have the large lever that makes it super easy to seat it.
No more tired hand seating primers!
This is what I was leaning towards but oblivious to its sensitivity. This is helpful. thanks.

@thorborg
So if I read your post correctly, you're using an arbor press, a rod and the Lee Loader primer seating base to seat primers?
I thought arbor presses had massive compound linkage.

Who primes all day long every day? WOW
If you're speaking of Velzey, he said his hands were tools every day all day long
@thorborg
So if I read your post correctly, you're using an arbor press, a rod and the Lee Loader primer seating base to seat primers?
I thought arbor presses had massive compound linkage.
Not all arbor presses are used for pressing auto wheel bearings, little ones are used for things like swaging tiny brass rivets. they come in all sizes from six inches tall to four feet tall or more. An arbor press uses rack and pinion a wonderful invention (I cant remember the inventor) from late sixty or seventies to allow more "feel" and control while driving your automobile. Usually a one to one gear ratio. Feel is what I demand while doing sensitive things like working with explode-able items. While my system is not speedy I've invested little, and have produced tens of thousands of rounds in many calibers over forty + years.
What makes this work for me is if I can't be in the woods, I love being in my den or shop and working with my hands. My release from the crazy world if yo will.
Attached are a picture of the arbor press, a block with a washer and channel for decapping , and a block with three steps and alinco magnets to hold the decapping chamber at different heights for different steps in my reloading process so I don't have to readjust the arm of the arbor press.
Lastly and more important as to why I am able to process many without frustration is I load and shoot mainly straight cased or neck sizes only ammo. I did pick up little press for some full length wild cat work but have few dies for it and don't see any reason to buy and change what has been working all these years.. IMG_20151128_090513_406.jpg IMG_20151128_090555_552.jpg IMG_20151128_090623_865.jpg
I apologize for the poor pictures I was in a rush to go shooting.

@thorborg
Nice, thanks for the pics. Yea, I understand about arbor presses and that they are not all the same. Never used one. I thought that they had multiples more power (though it's been established that they are not all the same) than a standard hand squeezer.. but you never know.. it often takes some serious horsing to get primers seated with a standard O press but often the hand squeezers operate perfectly with essentially a thought (very, very easily).
I'd probably recommend, as some here have, a dedicated bench mounted RCBS or somesuch that you can just lay into.

I'm back from shooting and just realized this post has some splaining as I've noted some persnickety detail oriented members on this forum and wouldn't want to set them off. I don't know if rack and pinion concept was invented when previously stated, but the application to the automotive industry was then, and had a lasting impression on me for its innovated contribution and real world improvement over the gearbox pitman arm affair. Phew! :rolleyes:

I have the Lee hand primer X whatever thingy, and it does get tiring on the hand after 2-300 rounds. I use it exclusively for rifle brass priming as I use a turret for my pistol rounds and priming is a function of the turret. I would recommend finding a bench mounted priming tool if you are worried about getting tired.

You all have made up 1/2 my mind, I'm liking the Forster Co Ax bench priming tool and believe I'll likely end up with that after the, check them all out smoke has cleared.
I'm very appreciative of your collective input.
Thank you kindly.

I had a Forster, and I kept having problems with the primer turning sideways as it drops into position. Maybe 5 out of 100 would do it. Took it back and got the RCBS and its worked flawlessly. When I took the Forster back I thought maybe something was out of spec so I exchanged it for another. 15 minutes into the new one I had the same issue.

But I really like the design of the Forster, and not needing shell holders. It could have been that batch of them had QC problems. Most likely fixed by now!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top