JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks, new to reloading and casting. Im about to start priming cases and realized my Lyman Brass smith turrent press has a mediocre priming system. Any advice on hand primers that are a good bang for the buck? Ill be doing everything from .223 all the way up to 480 Ruger. Thanks!

Last Edited:
I use both a Lee old style that is activated by your thumb, and an RCBS that works off the finger grip. It lets me trade off every hundred rounds to keep my hands from cramping up. Neither of mine are in current production, so no help there but look for primer tools that are easy on your hands if you are going to do production levels of cases. DR

My first one was a Lee Hand Primer, but after using it for a year or so, I traded up to Frankford Arsenal hand primer. I love the fact that it has a solid grip since it is made of zinc and with the ability to dial up the primer depth.

It comes in a case that includes everything you'd need (except for the primers and the brass, of course), so you can just grab the box and sit on your couch while watching TV. I've had this one for two years now and I love it.

The Lee Primer moves the primer from the tray and shifts it vertically before being pressed into the brass. That's where the Lee and Frankford differ. I've had primers get jammed while being "shifted" and you have to break it down to get the primer out.

Ive had very few primer jams with the Frankford Hand Primer, but it is very easily cleared with a simple tap. 👍

The only had primer tool I use is the newer version RCBS were it doesn't take shell holders and is able to adapt to different cases. Have hand primed from 223 all the way to 26 nosler case what is based off of 404 Jeffery case. Only thing you have to change over is the primer pin and plastic adapter when switching from small or large primers and takes less than a minute.

The only had primer tool I use is the newer version RCBS were it doesn't take shell holders and is able to adapt to different cases. Have hand primed from 223 all the way to 26 nosler case what is based off of 404 Jeffery case. Only thing you have to change over is the primer pin and plastic adapter when switching from small or large primers and takes less than a minute.
I have one of these too. They work, but IMO are garbage for what you pay for for what you get. I had to take mine apart and grind the little jaws so they rim relief (the chamfer) was better fitting for various cases. Its comes with just some real cheap stamped out steel sheet. Once I re profiled those it works ALOT better. I don't even use mine a lot and the little plastic center post for the primer tray broke half if it off. So the top barely stays on, but its enough. I think my next mod is the remove and drill that POS engineered part off and glue in some magnets..
I don't think it gives as much feedback as I'd like.

With all of that said though, it will work fine and most people probably won't be bothered by the small bit picky stuff I mentioned. I wish it was depth adjustable but it does have a decent feel so you can get your primer seating depth fairly consistent. Usually within a few thou.
I might suggest looking at the bench mounted ones if you have hand issues or the nice click adjustable ones if precision means more to you like the 21ST century or Sinclair click adjustable hand primers.

Have a RCBS hand prime. While functional, just seems clunky. Maybe it is too old? Bought it used.
Someone gave me a Lee i am trying out. Okay so far.

If i was to spend money I would probably look at the bench mounts.

I have the Lee AutoPrime with the round hopper. They have an updated New AutoPrime with a triangular hopper. Occasionally I have to shake the ones I have now. Other than that, I love their quick change shell holders and the feel of the primer bottoming.

*** Lee notes that Federal (only) large primers will occasionally cause the tray to explode. Unknown why, but may be primer compound dust on the primers.

Another vote for the Lee Auto-Prime, been using them since the 1980's. Found them to be the best, most consistent for seating primers. And yes, I've actually worn one out in that time (old style with the round trays) and replaced it with the new triangle tray version.

Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand Primer works great. Has an easily adjustable primer depth wheel. I started out using my Lyman press priming arm but after switching to the FA Hand Primer, I wished I had done it much sooner. Only nit is the angle you need to hold it to keep primers feeding from the tray. Comes with pretty much what you need for most standard calibers. Very easy to change between small & large primer seating. Can use the Lee Autoprime shell holders.

I used the original Lee (round tray)for many years, but it finally broke. I bought the new design (square tray) and it didn't work nearly as well as the original. Having tried the RCBS version decades ago and wasn't thrilled with it (not even sure what happened to it), I finally overcame my innate frugality and ordered the Frankfort Arsenal and am glad I did. I really like the seating depth adjustment and the leverage it provides. Yes, it is a little particular about the angle you hold it for feeding, but is easily cleared if one jams.

Heck of a price on this.

I don't mind changing shell holders. It would seem I'd already have them if I was priming brass for loading? Why on earth would I need a separate shell holder set?

I had an RCBS the one above (in MikeJ's post) and hated it with a passion. Eventually I broke down and bought the RCBS bench mounted priming system and haven't regretted it ever. That would be the direction I would try to steer you.

I had an RCBS the one above (in MikeJ's post) and hated it with a passion. Eventually I broke down and bought the RCBS bench mounted priming system and haven't regretted it ever. That would be the direction I would try to steer you.
I've generally primed 100 at a time. And a few time 200 cases. I could definitely see having the bench primer if you were turning out several 100 at a time on a progressive. But I would think filling those tubes with primers would be royal PIA.

I've generally primed 100 at a time. And a few time 200 cases. I could definitely see having the bench primer if you were turning out several 100 at a time on a progressive. But I would think filling those tubes with primers would be royal PIA.
Frankford arsenal Vibra-Prime automatic tube filler. Spendy, but works well & a heck of a lot quicker than picking primers individually with a tube.

My first one was a Lee Hand Primer, but after using it for a year or so, I traded up to Frankford Arsenal hand primer. I love the fact that it has a solid grip since it is made of zinc and with the ability to dial up the primer depth.

It comes in a case that includes everything you'd need (except for the primers and the brass, of course), so you can just grab the box and sit on your couch while watching TV. I've had this one for two years now and I love it.

The Lee Primer moves the primer from the tray and shifts it vertically before being pressed into the brass. That's where the Lee and Frankford differ. I've had primers get jammed while being "shifted" and you have to break it down to get the primer out.

Ive had very few primer jams with the Frankford Hand Primer, but it is very easily cleared with a simple tap. 👍
Great advice, I went with the Frankfort Arsenal kit. Found one on sale, thanks!

Frankford arsenal Vibra-Prime automatic tube filler. Spendy, but works well & a heck of a lot quicker than picking primers individually with a tube.

I don't think that's spendy at all! Still not for me, with the amount I load and shot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top