JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe I'll invite him over, make a pot of coffee ….. set him up on the press…. Have him go at it while I change the tie rods on my van.

Maybe like doing a break job and dude gets in wreck…because of air in the line from half bleeding job….. would his backyard mechanic father be liable? Maybe? IDK
My guess is if you have a business reloading ammo. If your just a friend reloading for him and something goes wrong I thi k it would be pretty difficult for someone to prove a friend favor were negligent. Note, that doesnt mean they cant sue, just saying its probably not worth their time to risk not winning.

My guess is if you have a business reloading ammo. If your just a friend reloading for him and something goes wrong I thi k it would be pretty difficult for someone to prove a friend favor were negligent. Note, that doesnt mean they cant sue, just saying its probably not worth their time to risk not winning.
Yeah reading on another post.
May "not be your friend that's sues, but his family "

All this assuming wrong or double powder I guess

Yeah reading on another post.
May "not be your friend that's sues, but his family "

All this assuming wrong or double powder I guess
The risk is too low.
Id do it for a friend, as long as your not chasing max velocity your fine.
There are so many things our friends could technically sue us for just for interacting together, its life.
My friend wouldnt sue me. Though Id probably buy them a new rifle if my handload blew it up.

Probably.....

JK...

(I would) but any load I work up for someone else isnt gojng to be pushing anything. If they want that kind or performance they need to learn to handload themselves.

A friend's nephew went hunting in Montana.
When they got there the next day they went to shoot their guns to make sure they were still on.
His nephew shot his 300 magnum and the bolt handle snapped off and the bolt came back and went through his cheek and exited through the back of his head.
He lived but he is severely screwed up.
I never asked what caused the gun to blow up and don't really care.
Stuff happens and once it's done damages can not be taken back..
A friend started reloading a couple of years ago and has had a lot of squibs. He would quality be called SQUIB KING.
I use to buy reloaded ammo from the gun forums and gun shows. On one buy I bought a mixed bag of reloaded ammo. While shooting some 357mag I had a double charge and the revolver about flew out of my hand.
That was the end of shooting other people's reloads.
A guy inherited his 89 year old father inlaws guns, ammo and reloading equipment.
He was shooting the reloaded 46acp ammo and had two double charges. He quit shooting that ammo. When he went home he knocked down the rest of the 45acp reloaded ammo and had several other double charged cartridges.
He gave me 500 reloaded 222 Remington cartridges the the old guy reloaded with the stipulation that I tear them down for components. Plus he gave me the RCBS 222 Remington dies.
The powder was all over the place.
My brother reloads and has nice reloading equipment. I don't stand anywhere close when he shoots his reloads.
About the only one I trust shooting reloads from is my oldest son and I don't even do that.
I can make my own ammo.
I have had people come over and I went through the process with then and watched very carefully while they loaded their own an ammo.
I have seen so many guns ruined at gun club show cases and other places it sets a clear picture in my mind to give reloading 100% of my attention.
Watch KENTUCKY BALLISTICS- SQUIB VIDEO on YouTube.
When people get hurt or killed and they have their gun blown apart by your reloading mistake it changes everything.

A friend's nephew went hunting in Montana.
When they got there the next day they went to shoot their guns to make sure they were still on.
His nephew shot his 300 magnum and the bolt handle snapped off and the bolt came back and went through his cheek and exited through the back of his head.
He lived but he is severely screwed up.
I never asked what caused the gun to blow up and don't really care.
Stuff happens and once it's done damages can not be taken back..
A friend started reloading a couple of years ago and has had a lot of squibs. He would quality be called SQUIB KING.
I use to buy reloaded ammo from the gun forums and gun shows. On one buy I bought a mixed bag of reloaded ammo. While shooting some 357mag I had a double charge and the revolver about flew out of my hand.
That was the end of shooting other people's reloads.
A guy inherited his 89 year old father inlaws guns, ammo and reloading equipment.
He was shooting the reloaded 46acp ammo and had two double charges. He quit shooting that ammo. When he went home he knocked down the rest of the 45acp reloaded ammo and had several other double charged cartridges.
He gave me 500 reloaded 222 Remington cartridges the the old guy reloaded with the stipulation that I tear them down for components. Plus he gave me the RCBS 222 Remington dies.
The powder was all over the place.
My brother reloads and has nice reloading equipment. I don't stand anywhere close when he shoots his reloads.
About the only one I trust shooting reloads from is my oldest son and I don't even do that.
I can make my own ammo.
I have had people come over and I went through the process with then and watched very carefully while they loaded their own an ammo.
I have seen so many guns ruined at gun club show cases and other places it sets a clear picture in my mind to give reloading 100% of my attention.
Watch KENTUCKY BALLISTICS- SQUIB VIDEO on YouTube.
When people get hurt or killed and they have their gun blown apart by your reloading mistake it changes everything.
Live a lot you say….? You've see a lot. Scary encounters. I've never been inclined to try someone's loads nor bought "components only", think I'm okay with just staying away.

I'll have to check for the Squib… I remember the.50 BMG old as dirt Raufoss rnd.

I personally tell the guys to acquire bullets, brass and powder, and then sit them down on my press .
I help them measure out and set everything up
but i make them pull the handle....
You forgot the big one --------- PRIMERS :eek: ---A few years ago just pennies each but we all know what happened to them again. Unless you stockpiled primers after the first shortage now they are a bid deal.
Make sure the dies have (or put good lock rings) on them for repeatability
For a rifle, I would insist on a good case length drop gauge.
Like many out there, I already have a library of books that cover most calibers/cartridges.
This book would help compare across the board for $10 https://www.amazon.com/Loadbooks-Complete-Reloading-Manual-Creedmoor/dp/B077RQB4VD
You can get/check load data at online bullet and powder sites, hit Creedmoor forums (or any forum) for people's favorite loads THEN DOUBLE CHECK THEM AGAINST AND ONLINELOAD SITE OR BOOK.
After you two have come up with the bullet, powder, and charge he likes, help him get set up with a single-stage press and a decent balance beam powder scale.., and enough brass that he can go several shooting outings before having to come over and aneal/clean/trim his brass.

There's a sticky about being compensated. I wouldn't take any compensation other than being happy you helped a friend. I've only given my hand loads to one close friend that begged me for them and had already shot them out if his gun with me a lot. I was really anal about it and took my time double sometimes triple checking everything. If I had a second thought about one during any time in the process, that one went in my stash. It's always better to be safe than sorry when reloading.

Don't let the powers-that-be see this thread. Reloading is super dangerous and scary, and should probably be banned.

I knew where this thread was headed when I saw the title. The subject is a perennial one that pops up on every gun forum out there every once in a while, and people always get worked up.

I don't know about anyone else, but I let my kids shoot my reloads all the time, and I'm far more concerned with their physical safety than I am about someone suing me.

No, I don't sell reloads, nor do I generally load them for anyone else, but if they're safe enough for my kids to shoot them, they're safe enough for my friends. I'd be more concerned about my friend's safety than liability, when deciding whether to let someone shoot my ammo. That's just me though.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews