JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Obamabots ?? OMG, thats a good one eldbillbo, I am sure I'll use that some time, thanks
Well OK, here comes my two cents !! I consider myself a relatively new member having joined in March. I must say that I too was attracted to the site in search of a good local classified section. The thought of participating in a discussion forum could'nt have been farther from my mind. Now three months later, I have posted over thirty times in the various forums and yet, have only completed my first transaction through the classifieds as of today !
I tend to agree with treeman and nightshade. I think you have a good balance going here and tinkering with it much could jam the works.
As for the problem of low posting in the forums here, some people just are not going to do it until they're motivated by something they see in a thread that touches them personally (me included). That motivation has to be internal, not external. The suggestions of posting quotas, transaction fee's, etc. all have a negative connotation to them and would seem like somebody wants to crack a whip ! I can tell you that if any of those were in place three months ago, I would have said C-YA.
Now, for the "negativitiy". While I would say that I am personally somewhere in Rugerbub's neighborhood, I can see the points that eldbillbo is making. There probably needs to be some sort of civil limit to the extreme rhetoric. But.... That being said, each time a "moderator" steps in to the fraekus, you run the risk of P***ing off everyone on that side of the issue. Personally, I think that a libertarian-like approach would work...let the kids fight until there is blood drawn. If you are so thin skinned that you would take offense about something that is said on a thread here, it probably was bound to happen at some point anyway. Over-catering to the hyper-sensitive would leave you with a pretty sterile site.
OK....I'll get off the soapbox, did I make enough posting points with this ?
(just kidding):s0114:

That's what I was figuring, and I wanted to see how everyone else felt about it too. I agree with those who said there is no major problem here, and I think continued growth combined with some provocative topics will improve the discussion. I see no benefit in changing anything, aside from creating a separate "new posts" button for the classifieds.

All in all, this has been a very good thread for us, thank you all.

A new post for classifieds is a great idea if the original new posts button excludes classifieds. I like to come to the site and hit new posts and see new discussions and when I am interested in buying I have the choice of seeing those posts. I dont have to weed through it to get to discussion. Thanks Joey

A new post for classifieds is a great idea if the original new posts button excludes classifieds. I like to come to the site and hit new posts and see new discussions and when I am interested in buying I have the choice of seeing those posts. I dont have to weed through it to get to discussion. Thanks Joey

Definitely a good idea! Perhaps three... a "New Discussions" button, a "New Ads" button, and then a "New Posts" button that combines both of the former into a single list (basically the way it is now). :s0155:

In the spirit of participating in discussion. I offer the following:

First, I seldom post unless I feel have something to contribute. And when I do, I think first, then type, then read, then think again, then edit, and maybe edit again, and then finally submit. I might recommend that others consider doing the same. One's remarks are for the whole world to read. Everything one says reflects upon himself as a person and as a man. Do not act as if you are anonymous. Because you are not.

I support making the Classified available to contributing members only. I do not support a "post count" system. Money really is the most tangible form of support to the site. This is not a novel idea. It works elsewhere and could work here.

I do not support excessive "moderation" if it degenerates to something on the order of having a problem merely with the use of an innocuous word such as "*********". The word can mean many connotations, including a sexual one. Context is everything. As is a clear and fair focus by the mod on the apparent intent of the poster. I urge the mods to resist the urge to legislate morality (if that is in fact what is being done). Because it never works.

And, for the record, I am much more offended by some of the coarseness and rudeness I see here (yes, here) than I am by the occasional profanity (e.g. STFU) or sexual innuendo (e.g. a "*********" of Smiths). Again, context, focus, apparent intent.

I do support the mods enforcing Civility and a common-sense respect for the dignity of every person regardless. "Enforcement" can and should be done privately and only with good reason. Banning should, I think, be a last resort and be done thoughtfully and as a result of a judicious scrutiny by several people.

I do not support a "free hand" approach in deciding who does and who does not get to participate in the forum beyond the basic agreement with T and C's, nor do I support a "if you don't like it, get out....it's privately owed" sort of approach. I could have sworn that one of the objectives of this site had something to do with "building community". Building community and building coalitions involves reaching out to those who do not necessarily think or live like you do. Clarify this one thing for me.....is this still among the Forum's objectives........or not?

We are a people and a world of differences. Get used to it. Because that fact is here to stay.

"I do support the mods enforcing Civility and a common-sense respect for the dignity of every person regardless. "Enforcement" can and should be done privately and only with good reason. Banning should, I think, be a last resort and be done thoughtfully and as a result of a judicious scrutiny by several people."

In that light, I would like to see a "tool" developed for which the members can rate the mod's for their civility, tolerance, common sense and communication. I believe the feedback would benefit all (i.e. as of late, one mod has become heavy handed).

In that light, I would like to see a "tool" developed for which the members can rate the mod's for their civility, tolerance, common sense and communication. I believe the feedback would benefit all (i.e. as of late, one mod has become heavy handed).

A "Tool, Tool?"* Brilliant! :s0155:

*I know that is not what you said or meant, but I could not resist!!

Bend, I know of what you speak! Rating moderators would only work, though, if someone listened. Until someone realizes that an out of control moderator can cause more internal strife than anyone with an honest opinion or comment can, it's just flogging a dead horse. This ship will never be righted until the right person removes their blinders and sees what his own people are capable of.

Moderators are accountable to me. If a person has a problem with a moderator, they should PM me. There should be no discussion of moderators or problems users have with the staff in the open forum.

Because it does much more harm than good. It casts a negative light on the community to both potential members and our opposition. This could be the best community on the internet and there would always be a few people that weren't happy with one thing or another, so there would be no end to it. If a member has a problem, bring it up with me. If need be we can include all parties involved in a private chat and work out our differences like adults.

The problem with that is that if I had a problem with a mod but did not realize anyone else was having a problem, I might not report it. If I know what this guy is doing is going on with others, I might be more likely to bring it up. You're never gonna know, like the fact that you're right hand buddy is a problem as much as many others. You knowwho and what I'm talking about....

The problem with that is that if I had a problem with a mod but did not realize anyone else was having a problem, I might not report it. If I know what this guy is doing is going on with others, I might be more likely to bring it up. You're never gonna know, like the fact that you're right hand buddy is a problem as much as many others. You knowwho and what I'm talking about....

But if you're having a problem with a MOD it's an issue regardless if anyone else is having one.

It doesn't matter who else is having a problem, if you have a problem with a mod, report it. From my perspective, it seems like you want the opportunity to rally the troops, arm them with fire and pitchforks, and go to war. When people do this both sides dig in and it becomes a much bigger issue than the original problem. Our goal is to solve the problems members are having.

But if you're having a problem with a MOD it's an issue regardless if anyone else is having one.

Exactly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA