JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the many people/members that came out to the range and lent a helping hand at the Cascade Sportsman's Gun Club out in Stevenson Washington. I know a few members here were there and participated. I also wanted to add that there was some vandalism that we had to clean up out there. It's sad to see this happening, why people like to shoot up things that do not belong to them and damage property and essential tools for our club is beyond me. I'll show you guys my little project or contribution to our club. I volunteered my welding services to the club to fix their shot up job box. I figured that was the least I could do. These guys at this club are all great individuals and have been a pleasure to know. If anyone here would like to join our club in Stevenson, we'd love to get more people out there shooting in our up and coming events. Anyway, take a look at what I worked on this Easter Sunday, besides smoking a nice ham and working on my son's new (to him) Honda accord...:

Here's how that job box looked when I got it:

IMG_0962_zpswjtsxrvm.jpg
IMG_0963_zpscb9t1hfr.jpg
IMG_0965_zpsoshktmv5.jpg
IMG_0967_zps4rflyiqw.jpg
IMG_0968_zpsxsmykofn.jpg

Here's what it looked like after straightening it out a bit and welding up the cracks:
IMG_0972_zpsr21jsbsg.jpg
IMG_0973_zpsc8rgqkn3.jpg
IMG_0974_zpsvqiqpgvs.jpg
IMG_0971_zpsmnlhriyi.jpg

Now a little body filler:
IMG_0978_zps9t2plkqv.jpg
IMG_0980_zps7ljzfr6k.jpg

I'll get it primed and painted before next weekend I hope. We have a golf ball shoot this Saturday. I'm hoping to bring this job box out then. Should work like new again when I'm done with it.... Hope everyone here had a great Easter too!!!!!! !

Thanks Ron. It's pretty much a member only club. Membership is real cheap though ($20.00). We'd love to get more individuals there shooting with us. We have events coming up like rimfire, centerfire rifle and pistol shoots. I would love it if you visited our club again, I've seen how you shoot and I like the competition...:D.

I'd like to be a member. I visit kinfolk in Stevenson all the time. Nice that there is a club and range there! PM some details please. Thx!

Hey guys, I need some opinions. I was thinking about leaving the welded section showing on the main repair or do you think I should grind it flush and use some body filler like I did the bullet holes in the middle of the box? I went to a golf ball shoot at the club today, but didn't bring the box because my transmission in my pickup needed some TLC. Had to replace the EPC solenoid and test the shift A and shift B solenoids. Part came in today and I just finished up with that job. Truck is working like a champ again. Damn transmission only has 27,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt locally. I'm glad it was an easy fix. I'm also getting ready for a rimfire shoot coming up in a couple weeks. Finally found a Mossberg S330 rear sight for my chuckster. Life is going great!!!! Here's a new picture of the box and the 640KD Mossberg chuckster:
IMG_0986_zpsywlcr9wx.jpg

IMG_0983_zpseix61qqp.jpg
IMG_0984_zpsoypia6jd.jpg
Now I need to get my front sight (from ebay) in the mail and we'll be in business. Here's how my dad's old 22mag chuckster shoots with a scope:

004_zps72e5a00e.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks Mr. Nambu. The Chuckster is very sentimental to me. My dad used to use it in Pennsylvania when he was a kid. It looks great, but he really had worn it out. When he gave it to me, it needed extractors, ejector, hammer and some new magazines. The barrel/bore is still pretty good and as you can see from the picture, it still shoots very well. I reworked the trigger and modified the hammer so it breaks clean, light, dependable and safely. It's actually a real joy to shoot. I sent him a picture of the rifle today after I installed the rear sight and he was pretty happy about it. The front sight I have coming, is the target version you can put on some of these Mossberg rifles. It has the inserts for different targets. After shooting lilhigbee's Mossberg target rifle last year I have been lusting to get this rifle set up like that. I know it's not a target rifle, but I won't complain if it shoots real well with these target sights installed. :p

IMG_0080.JPG Like these sights? This was my dad's Mossberg m-146B. I still have it, in perfect condition. I refinished it about 25yrs ago when I worked at Kimber Of Oregon.

View attachment 358535 Like these sights? This was my dad's Mossberg m-146B. I still have it, in perfect condition. I refinished it about 25yrs ago when I worked at Kimber Of Oregon.

Very cool. Yes, I believe lilhigbee's rifle (model 144) has that type of sights. The rear sight is different than the one on my rifle, as the s330 is specific to the 340/640 series rifles. I will use a front sight similar to the one in the picture with the interchangeable inserts with a front hood. That 146 is a cool little rifle and I'm sure it is very accurate... Some of these Mossberg's are sleepers. lilhigbee's 144 will shoot 1/2" or less 10 shot groups all day long and I don't think it's even picky about what you put in it for ammo... Not bad for an iron sight plinker...

Actually my front sight is a Globe style, with replaceable inserts. I have a couple of Mossbergs with the flip-up ones like in the ad and they don't seem to index well enough to be really accurate. Perhaps mine are worn out.

C, the one I'm getting has the globe insert in it, along with the other post styles. I really like that globe sight on your rifle, but I don't think I can get one like that for my chuckster. I'm hoping my rifles works well with these sights. I don't know how far it is from front sight to rear, as I'm certain that will make a difference in the size of front globe I need to use on our targets... As soon as I get the front sight, I'll be playing around with that though... I'm sure I can always make another insert if I need to...;).. Even if I have to MacGyver something up, it will be hidden by the front hood...:p

Last Edited:
Hey guys, I need some opinions. I was thinking about leaving the welded section showing on the main repair or do you think I should grind it flush and use some body filler like I did the bullet holes in the middle of the box? I went to a golf ball shoot at the club today, but didn't bring the box because my transmission in my pickup needed some TLC. Had to replace the EPC solenoid and test the shift A and shift B solenoids. Part came in today and I just finished up with that job. Truck is working like a champ again. Damn transmission only has 27,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt locally. I'm glad it was an easy fix. I'm also getting ready for a rimfire shoot coming up in a couple weeks. Finally found a Mossberg S330 rear sight for my chuckster. Life is going great!!!! Here's a new picture of the box and the 640KD Mossberg chuckster:
View attachment 358516

View attachment 358517
View attachment 358518
Now I need to get my front sight (from ebay) in the mail and we'll be in business. Here's how my dad's old 22mag chuckster shoots with a scope:

View attachment 358521

IMHO, it'd be the ultimate "middle-finger" to the vandals to completely erase their "handiwork", and grind those welds flush and fill, then primer it.

Deny them their existence and make that box like new again! ;)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top