JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If for potable (drinking) water in the event of SHTF. Consider that a hospital to treat poisoning might not be there to save your life.

Used storage containers must be avoided, we don't have a clue as to what was stored or what has contaminated the material of the container. This is not a place or option for "cheap".

For potable/drinking water, the container must be certified as to being safe for water storage.

........and don't forget any tubing, connections must be for drinking/potable water.

nuf said,
Foreverlost

Last Edited:
Used storage containers must be avoided, we don't have a clue as to what was stored or what has contaminated the material of the container. This is not a place or option for "cheap".
I was actually thinking about this. Many of the places that sell the "water" barrels so cheap are because they are actually being recycled, or repurposed in this case. Supposedly the barrels were used to ship product like corn syrup, vegetable oil, distilled vinegar etc. typically in the white barrels. As far as I know the blue barrels are for water only, and you don't want the black barrels because they were used for non potable product.

so I guess the question is can these places be trusted when they "say" their used barrels are safe for water?

I was actually thinking about this. Many of the places that sell the "water" barrels so cheap are because they are actually being recycled, or repurposed in this case. Supposedly the barrels were used to ship product like corn syrup, vegetable oil, distilled vinegar etc. typically in the white barrels. As far as I know the blue barrels are for water only, and you don't want the black barrels because they were used for non potable product.

so I guess the question is can these places be trusted when they "say" their used barrels are safe for water?

Having a background in Chemistry, mass spectrometers, gas chromatography, & all that fancy stuff............Can these places provide a documented chain of custody that shows who has owned the container and what was stored in it each and every step of the way????

I really don't think so. Some plastics will absorb what ever was stored in that container, only to slowly release contaminates into the next material placed in the container.

For SHTF events, purchase a new container that is for storage of potable/drinking water. Then give it a rinse or two with some unscented bleach & water. Now you are ready to add potable water.

Next issue, are you adding well water? If so, there is no disinfectant. Add bleach! Change every 6 months or so.

City water should have some residual chlorine, no real need for bleach. Just the same, change every 6 months or so.

The reason I mentioned Costco and the potable 55 gallon drum is it also has a hand pump & filter.

Those that own an RV most likely use a hose made for filling the storage tank. That hose is made of material for potable water. Get one to fill your SHTF water storage.

Foreverlost,

@Foreverlost

Very good points I never thought to mention. I suppose mainly to my knowing, and dealing with travel trailers and camping through the years. Definitely, for water, as you mention are strong points for potable water.

@Foreverlost thanks for the tips, I agree. Im not a chemist but but I do work with one and understand what your saying. I also will look into buying a potable water hose. Was reading about that on a survivalist blog yesterday, makes sense and yeah, if SHTF getting sick, any medical ailment is something to avoid.

Funny earlier this week I plugged my address into this article on opb.org about the impending cascadia quake and it will tell you an estimate of damage to your area. Mine said to expect to be without medical facilities for up to 2 years, no police/fire for 6 months, no water and sewer for up to a year... among other things.

http://www.opb.org/news/widget/aftershock-find-your-cascadia-earthquake-story/

Aaaahhh, the CSZ SHTF event,

Please don't be here! Orygun is a zoo.......period. Way back in 2005 DeFazio was questioned about this. He had no comment. Ok, all the facts were not in...........but a decade has been wasted.

If your work demands being here, keep your fingers crossed. Retired now, past employer thought it was a good idea for me to live in So-Cal....I enjoyed the paycheck and did my time...............time to move again.

Hazvu http://www.oregongeology.org/hazvu/ is another good site to check out. Lots of good information out there for the searching.......if one dares.

Since 2005 I've watch "Lame County" and its emergency manager, Linda Cook. For years according to released documents from her, the CSZ was a non-event......might only have one bridge fail, etc. What a bunch of bubblegum.

Then FEMA stepped in and the released documents changed in the last couple of years. Even so, just paper has been produced.......no real protection for tax payers.

Viewing into the crystal ball..............the fog is clearing............;;;;Marshall Law is forecast for the survivors. Have enough supplies till military clears a safe passage to the other side of the Cascades. Have fun living in FEMA tents.

For the nonbelievers search for lawsuits after Katrinia & Super Storm Sandy. Some areas will not be rebuilt in our lifetimes. Insurance companies will outlive those filing claims.

Native America Indians get the last laugh.

Foreverlost,

NO,see below

So I guess the question is can these places be trusted when they "say" their used barrels are safe for water?
These things were an issues with trucking companies shipping edible and non edible stuff in the same tanks.
So you do need to investigate what was in the container before and what you need to do to make it safe.
And maybe so the water is drinkable because of taste?
Plastic is not fully resistant to EVERYTHING. It can hold contaminants and flavor

so if I use the blue 55 gallon drums stored horizontally (as described above), does anyone know how many gallons you lose from its capacity storing them this way?

You can find a variety of shapes and sizes of tanks on line.If your storing water you definitely want a black colored tank. Most farm supply businesses carry them or cn get them for you
You can expect to pay about a $ a gallon . I picked up a 300 gal in Washougal. .You can find a lot of info online as they really use a lot down in the SW states for water storage

If your storing water you definitely want a black colored tank.
I thought the black colored barrels were used for non-consumable products like chemicals?

anyways, I bought 2 new blue barrels already...
Im curios how much capacity you lose when storing them horizontally?

I thought the black colored barrels were used for non-consumable products like chemicals?

Should be able to fill them all the way so I don't think tipping them sideways will affect thier holding capacity.

Should be able to fill them all the way so I don't think tipping them sideways will affect thier holding capacity.
Im thinking they will be to heavy to safely tip over and position in the stand.... I think one gallon is a bit over 8lbs.?

They mfg the barrels specifically for water storage.Chemicals barrels are mfg with different materials. Check on line and you'll see the difference

Im thinking they will be to heavy to safely tip over and position in the stand.... I think one gallon is a bit over 8lbs.?

Yup 8lbs a gallon was my understanding.

You will just need to set it up so that the load is distributed.

If you lay them side by side on the ground, that would work.

Or if you want to stack them, personally, I would stack cinder blocks up the side of the first barrel and then put 2x4's across the gap (verticals like floor joists).

Blocks and 2x4's are fairly cheap and the weight of the top barrel should ensure it doesn't shift or move as long as it has some water in it.

I'm a woodworker among other things and you could build a 2x4 frame with cross braces but it would take a lot more work IMO.

Cut 8' boards in half and that will give you a good 4' to work with when laying the "floor" of the top barrel.

Consider: Water weighs 8.34 lb per gallon. Thus a 55 gallon drum clocks in around 458.7 lbs plus the weight of the drum.

In my neck of the woods, in the event of the "Big One", the ground is expected to move back & forth a distance of/near/about ONE FOOT for somewhere/about/almost 5 minutes.

A 55 gallon drum bouncing and rolling about, breaking ain't worth squat when you really need it. Laying it/them on some wood and/or cement blocks................I gotta think about that one.

Better anchor those puppies!

Foreverlost,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews