JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to make a water storage system using those blue 55gal drums. I was thinking of up to 2 and linking them together but the problem is I don't know where to look / shop for the fittings etc.

I can find coarse and fine threaded bung nuts on Amazon but then I want one I can screw either a spigot or hose adaptor to if I decided to link the two together.

Besides the blue drums themselves, what are all the components I need?

Was thinking of something like these photos...
Water+barrel.jpg

readywater.jpg

Home Depot had them when I set-up my barrels for rain collection. I had to hunt the isles to find them. Another source would be like, Pepsi or Coca-Cola Bottling or the like. You could inquire.

2A2 thanks, I will check them out this weekend. Never done this and before today didnt even know what a bung nut was. I did just finally find a source on line but would prefer to buy from a store or Amazon if I have to pay for shipping.

To give you something more to think about. If this is going to be in the house why not plumb it into your inbound water supply that way you are always cycling your water and not having to worry about the water going bad(slime). Just food for thought.

To give you something more to think about. If this is going to be in the house why not plumb it into your inbound water supply that way you are always cycling your water and not having to worry about the water going bad(slime). Just food for thought.
thats actually a good idea but I do not have the space inside my home for even 1 55gal barrel. I have a small backyard with a small shed to store the water drums. I plan to simply treat the water with bleach and once a year water the garden with it to empty it out in the summer then refill it as a way to use and rotate the water and keep it fresh....
thats why I want to put a hose spigot on the bottom bung nut.

oknow has a good plan. What he mentions, same thing. If the water barrels will be in a shed, plumb your hose (PVC would be better) through it and you can still cycle fresh at all times.

Personally, I would ditch the 55 gal drums and see if you can fit one of those 250 gal squares in the same space.

250% more water in the same area and no fitting needed.

They aren't all that heavy either and when empty.

Otherwise, for the initial question, 100% silicone it, let it dry then you should be good to go.

I also know that Wilco's carry food grade drums with spickots already installed.

I just installed an above ground pool and leave it full all year round. Gets algae in the winter but that's easy to filter out, plus we have a pool in the short summer. Oh, and it holds about 6,000 gallons so I should have enough for the whole neighborhood.:D

the shed is on the far end of the backyard. Id have to bury the pvc water lines, tear up my lawn and/or remove 8 garden beds for the best route. Id also have to tear up my deck on that side...
Plus I'd have to figure out how to hook it up to the house water.

the shed is on the far end of the backyard. Id have to bury the pvc water lines, tear up my lawn and/or remove 8 garden beds for the best route. Id also have to tear up my deck on that side...
Plus I'd have to figure out how to hook it up to the house water.

There is no need to rotate the water - anyway you look at it your going to filter/treat it before you drink it.

Personally, I would ditch the 55 gal drums and see if you can fit one of those 250 gal squares in the same space.

250% more water in the same area and no fitting needed.

thats a good idea but I can get the blue drums at Sportsmans right now for $60 each. I don't know where I can get the squares but if I can get one for about the same total price I will look into it.

Joe's on to something worth listening. The key thing is that the water is fit for consumption without getting sick. Either or.

I helped a friend set-up 10/55gal blue barrels. We tied them into his plumbing in the basement.

they way I understand it is if I keep the water treated with the correct amount of bleach I can tap into it for consumption anytime without further treatment, boiling etc.

Is that correct?

Correct. Considering the barrel blocks "most" light, you should be fine. Best to put a draping of thick mil black plastic over the barrels, or wrap with insulation to keep out light, and/or hot water tank wrap to also protect from freezing. I wouldn't water plants with the water though!!

Costco at one time sold those blue drums with a filtered pump. (Delivered to your house)
Water is cheap..........siphon the old out, put new in every 6 months. Keep the barrel stored in a dark room, prevent freezing.

Foreverlost,

thats a good idea but I can get the blue drums at Sportsmans right now for $60 each. I don't know where I can get the squares but if I can get one for about the same total price I will look into it.

CL has people selling them all the time. And I'm almost positive they are less the $120.

Wilco's carries them as well but it will probably be a little more then CL.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top