JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello.

I am new to the forums and tried to do a search, but did not find exactly what I am looking for. About 15 years ago I was convicted of some felonies in Washington County. I am not eligible to have my record expunged due to the nature of my crimes. I am looking to have my rights restored. i have several questions in regard to this. First thing is, anyone in Washington County had this achieved? Second thing is, what is the process and where do I get the paperwork for this? Third, do I need to get a lawyer or can this be achieved by myself? And finally is there a rough idea if what this would cost? Thanks in advance.

Hello.

I am new to the forums and tried to do a search, but did not find exactly what I am looking for. About 15 years ago I was convicted of some felonies in Washington County. I am not eligible to have my record expunged due to the nature of my crimes. I am looking to have my rights restored. i have several questions in regard to this. First thing is, anyone in Washington County had this achieved? Second thing is, what is the process and where do I get the paperwork for this? Third, do I need to get a lawyer or can this be achieved by myself? And finally is there a rough idea if what this would cost? Thanks in advance.

Assuming you can't afford a lawyer is there a legal aid office anywhere near you? If so call them and make an appointment. They may be able to point you to a place to start at least. If you want the right to vote again every state has different laws on that. I'm sure if you start Googling it there must be tons of info on this. Not sure how much of it would be bogus though. It's going to tale someone with some knowledge of law to really get any real answers.

In Oregon, felons are allowed to vote once the sentence has been completed and the offender has been released. It is encouraged that you still register to vote and vote as elections come up. However having said that, I am not sure what the laws are in other states.

Find a lawyer that specializes in exactly this type of problem.
I just expunged my 1980 class b misdemeanor conviction in Utah and the nice court clerk lady that I worked with told me that a lot of clueless lawyers call her for advice and that I was saving a lot of money by doing all of the legal work myself.

Last Edited:
Jbett unfortunately I have looked at all that and know for a fact that I cannot have it expunged. So the options are Governor's pardon, which is extremely rare and unlikely, or petition the courts to have the rights reinstated. I will try the attorney route, at least a consultstion. I was just more or less hoping someone might have had experience with the petitioning and specifically in Washington county. I know it can be done, just wondering cost if it's been done and how difficult. From my understanding some places are a lot harder than others, like Washington state/Pierce county. I am thankful that I don't have to go there.

Bear in mind you'll still be a Prohibited Person under Federal law--State and Fed differ, and while there's supposed to be an office and process for Federal rights restoration Congress has consistently refused to fund it.

I do understand that sort of. However just now reading the BATF big book of laws, it appears that it also states under ORS 166.4 70 that an FFL cannot sell to someone that has a felony except if they have had their record expunged, received rights restoration under federal law 18 USC 925(c) or ORS 166.274. So it is a little confusing, but if I understand correctly it sounds like federally it's a non issue. I could be wrong, definitely not a lawyer.

Federally it's a VERY big issue--last I knew, only a pardon or a 925(c) removes the PP label on the Federal level, so you can be perfectly legal in an Oregon State court and still be charged Federally.

This is also why CPL applications note that you can be issued a permit and Good2Go under State law and *still* a Prohibited Person under Federal--you REALLY need an attorney who deals with Federal cases on this one. And don't talk to anyone except your lawyer, because anything you say here or to any third party is potentially grist for the mill of Opposing Counsel, [edit: and has none of the protection of Attorney-Client Privilege].

Last Edited:
Bear in mind you'll still be a Prohibited Person under Federal law--State and Fed differ, and while there's supposed to be an office and process for Federal rights restoration Congress has consistently refused to fund it.

This is wrong. If you've had your civil rights and firearm rights restored by the state where you were sentenced, federal law does not consider your state conviction as prohibiting firearm possession. 18 USC s 921(a)(20).

I do restorations in Washington but I'm not licensed in Oregon. I can recommend someone who is if you PM me.

This is wrong. If you've had your civil rights and firearm rights restored by the state where you were sentenced, federal law does not consider your state conviction as prohibiting firearm possession. 18 USC s 921(a)(20).

I do restorations in Washington but I'm not licensed in Oregon. I can recommend someone who is if you PM me.

I have had a different experience than this. I had prohibiting charges in Idaho, which I was granted a full unconditional pardon for. As far as Idaho is now concerned my record is spotless.

When I first got my rights back I was denied during a background check because even though Idaho pardoned me I was living in Washington and Washington law states that a pardon from another state only restored firearms rights if it was granted due to a finding of rehabilitation. My pardon did not state that so the FBI, not the state of Washington, decided I was ineligible... which was crazy because Washington did not agree, in fact they had granted me a CPL and I had never had anything other than a speeding ticket in Washington and I had a Washington judge tell me that was not how he interpreted the law. It took a year of fighting, letters from a Idaho senator and Idaho Supreme Court justice to get the FBI to relent. It was really infuriating for both states involved to say I was good to go yet the FEDs deny a BGC.

My rights restoration started in 2006 (charges were in the 90's) and I am still fighting, always get delayed and maybe 40% of the time denied.

I currently have a lawsuit underway sueing the FBI for violating my rights (for denying me after they shut down the appeal division)

I would guess I have spent $15k at this point fighting, virtually all of it after my rights were restored (I think I spent less than $1000 to get my rights back)

I suspect my experience is not typical and it is not consistent.

I have a dozen NFA items purchased since my rights have been restored, never had a single issue with a form 4 transfer

However I have been denied buying a .22 which I then appealed which the appeal was also denied resulting in a 18 month long legal battle with the FBI costing thousands of dollars (which they eventually approved after a year and a half)

I don't know how typical my experience is but it has been difficult and costly for me to exercise my firearms rights, but I feel like I have no other option.

I should also point out my main attorney is Alex Kincaid who is one of the most respected 2nd amendment lawyers in the community. I'm not having these issues due to lack of competent help.

^ Notice I said federal law and not the FBI/ATF. What is written and how it's enforced are often not the same, unfortunately.

What court is your lawsuit against the FBI in and what's the cause #? I'm curious what your lawyer's cause of action is because based on all of the research I've done, there is no recourse for monetary damages because you can't sue the feds under 42 USC 1983 and you can't sue as a Bivens action either.

I have no idea. I know we are not seeking monetary compensation and she is doing the work pro-bono. They have been doing ground work on the case for 6 months or better. My understanding is she wants to do this because it has the potential to be a precedent setting case and simply the right thing to do.

The crux of the argument being because of the suspension of the appeals process I am being unjustly denied my 2nd amendment rights without recourse.

Hello.

• No convictions for Class A or B felonies may be set aside or expunged.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top