JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been blessed to have a wife who didn't care what toys I bought, now I see fellow gun enthusiasts especially new ones who want an AR but can find one or the seller wants a ridiculous price.

I'd like to buck the trend but don't know if making sure the gun gos to someone who really wants it and won't resell it is even possible. I'm trying to pay it forward but I don't see a way to do it so any ideas would be great.

I'd like the buyer to not have an AR, be new to the gun world and have some passion for what I would sell him. In return I'd get some brownie points/good karma from The Lord and reduce my bubblegum quotient.

I just don't see a real way of doing this, the gun would be bought by a reseller and flipped for a greater profit and I might as well make that profit...

Any ideas?

It's a good idea. I actually just got an AR for a buddy if mine. He planned on getting into 3-gun and then SHTF. He's very happy and I'm glad to help. Ask your friends or relatives.

I pretty much match what you're looking for, but don't worry about it, I'm taking care of it! Just bought my first gun right after the election, and started talking to a buddy about going out feral pig hunting, and I was going to pick up an AR for that around February or March. But with the craziness and uncertainty going on, I feel like I have to move that up, but don't want to get gouged. But I got a top on someone with complete lowers in stock, and have one with a collapsible stock transferring to me right now, and got it for $300, so not too bad! Still going to need the upper, but that's not a huge problem. Anyways, hope you find someone you know who fits what you're looking for and you make them very happy!

A few of the guys here have added the obvious flippers to our 'Ignore List'. I am limiting any transaction, present or future, buying or selling, to only folks who are not on that list. Actions have consequences and I don't care if the fellow has a low post count or thousands, if they've taken advantage of a tragedy to engage in profiteering activities, welcome to the blacklist.

Keith

Great attitude.

Before all the current BS went down I was in the market for a quality AR. I am no longer. I'll pick one up later or not, but I will not be hosed.

I agree! I was just starting to get interested in "maybe" picking up an AR, but not right now. Thankfully I do have an SKS and a pile of ammo. It fits the role that I envision the AR for.

Yeah, you, Deadtime, should ask around. What you want to do is very honorable and I'm sure you can find a friend of a friend who will appreciate your sentiments.

It is frustrating trying to buy an AR with the panic pricing going on (call it "current market pricing" or what you want).

I had been posting on a couple of sites looking for an AR and he approached me via IM saying he had an AR and would sell it to me for said price.
We had agreed on a price and then at the last minute ....and I mean I was ready to walk out the door to get it, he backed out because he had no way to guarantee I wasn't going to just flip the AR for a profit. I explained that I had no interest in reselling the AR but had no real way to convince him of this. I am a man of my word, my word is more important than any signed document so it was frustrating for me.
I have wanted an AR for years, I have been saving a few dollars here and there with a nice AR in mind, the last $100 of the price my wife had even gave me as an early Christmas present so I would have enough to buy it.

If you figure out a way to assure that it wouldn't be resold.... let me know!

It is frustrating trying to buy an AR with the panic pricing going on (call it "current market pricing" or what you want).

I had been posting on a couple of sites looking for an AR and he approached me via IM saying he had an AR and would sell it to me for said price.
We had agreed on a price and then at the last minute ....and I mean I was ready to walk out the door to get it, he backed out because he had no way to guarantee I wasn't going to just flip the AR for a profit. I explained that I had no interest in reselling the AR but had no real way to convince him of this. I am a man of my word, my word is more important than any signed document so it was frustrating for me.
I have wanted an AR for years, I have been saving a few dollars here and there with a nice AR in mind, the last $100 of the price my wife had even gave me as an early Christmas present so I would have enough to buy it.

You could always have him engrave your name on the lower... pretty much after that interest in flipping is hard to fathom...

Unfortunately, justified or not, your low post count is automatically putting you in the category of the other flippers. You would not believe how many new people are on this site who's only posts are WTS ads for material at exorbitant prices. Stick around a while though. As folks begin to see that you are a regular contributor to discussions, that will change. In the meantime, I think you're kinda screwed on getting a reasonably-priced AR, at least off of the internet boards, unless you find a generous soul like the OP who is willing to take the chance. In the meantime, might I suggest an alternative to a high priced AR or AK? A good Russian SKS can be had for very low money. They've always been considered a 'poor man's AK', and now by default they are once again. There are several on NWFA right now and are exceptional bargains.

Keith

I'd like to buck the trend but don't know if making sure the gun goes to someone who really wants it and won't resell it is even possible. I'm trying to pay it forward but I don't see a way to do it so any ideas would be great.

I'd like the buyer to not have an AR, be new to the gun world and have some passion for what I would sell him.

I know exactly what you mean. I recently sold an AR at what you might call "last months pricing", and was relieved to find out it was a person who was buying their first AR, and who seemed like they would sincerely not resell it. I didn't personally know anyone in the market for an AR, so I just had to take my chances.

Now I'm in the same boat with ammo. I've stopped selling it on the boards, and will only sell it to people I know (or friends of friends) who won't flip it.

You could sell it for top dollar. Keep what you had originally had in mind for a sale price, and then donate the the rest to a deserving charity.
That way the AR won't be flipped for a profit and you still get some good karma out of the deal.

If'n it were me (who doesn't own one) I'd look for a disabled vet or recently discharged vet with little income. Good karma all the way around....

There are a lot of us GIs who would love to have one, but living on our "soldier's shilling" it is difficult to afford.

Good luck, and on behalf of the whole firearms community, thank you for what you are doing.

You could sell it for top dollar. Keep what you had originally had in mind for a sale price, and then donate the the rest to a deserving charity.
That way the AR won't be flipped for a profit and you still get some good karma out of the deal.

Good idea there:s0155: This time of year there are a lot of people in need.

IMO, it is not your problem if somebody else who now suddenly decides that they need an AR. If you feel that you need to sell one of your AR's, sell it. But don't sell one because you feel sorry for a fool that thinks you should sell yours at cost to someone who feels entitled because they didn't buy before the panic.

I wish I had some dough- you could sell it to me! I've wanted an AR of my own since I lost access to one when I got out of the Marines in 99...Being unemployed for several months (just started a new job last week- yeah!) and having a wife losing her job at the end of the year doesn't bode well for the budget! Oh well even if I had one I couldn't find/afford the ammo at this point...

And I'm not crying about my situation- I'm still better off than a lot of people in this horrific economy...the idea of finding a home for your AR like it was a dog you couldn't keep any more is admirable

Unfortunately, justified or not, your low post count is automatically putting you in the category of the other flippers. You would not believe how many new people are on this site who's only posts are WTS ads for material at exorbitant prices. Stick around a while though. As folks begin to see that you are a regular contributor to discussions, that will change. In the meantime, I think you're kinda screwed on getting a reasonably-priced AR, at least off of the internet boards, unless you find a generous soul like the OP who is willing to take the chance. In the meantime, might I suggest an alternative to a high priced AR or AK? A good Russian SKS can be had for very low money. They've always been considered a 'poor man's AK', and now by default they are once again. There are several on NWFA right now and are exceptional bargains.

Keith

I could understand the low count on posting, I lurked on here a while... But it was on a different site (ifish) that I have been a member of for about 10 years! Not as much of a noob on there. And once again, he approached me.

Paul

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads