JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background:
I first read about this story randomly a couple years ago but revisited the story today while thinking about the recent mass shootings. Back in the day they called these tragedies massacres but whats interesting about this wild west shootout is the randomness of victims is closer to today's mass shooting motivations to kill indiscriminately... perhaps the first mass shooting in Oregon?, 1852, 17 innocent dead shot randomly. I remembered this story because the first time I read about this it was also mentioned the bad guys tactical advantage using then new Colt percussion revolvers where most people at the time still had single shot pistols and rifles. Reminds me of the semi vs revolver advantage, or the single stack vs double stack. I'm not familiar with the exact evolution or function of percussion pistols so the black powder aficionados here are welcome to correct me, but the tactical advantage being they could fire 5 shots in a row before having to reload is obvious, also quickly swap preloaded cylinders? This reminds me of the attempts to ban magazines larger than 10 rounds.
Note: The only citation I have for this story is various blogs nothing official that Ive found yet (do share if you find something), the story seems passed down word of mouth over the generations yet is out there easily found from various sources, the exact details probably vary but Id guess the event in itself is true.

The shootout: (paraphrased, the link tells a much more captivating story...)
In short, the Triskett Gang was on the run from a California crime spree and headed north into Oregon country and wound up in a booming gold rush town called Sailors Diggins, which was eventually renamed Waldo (and now a Ghost town). The gang spent the day in the saloon getting drunk and upon leaving one of them randomly gunned down a person in the street, this triggered the rest of the gang to start shooting more people randomly in the end, 17 people dead in the street. They then went and robbed the towns coffers of gold before the miners could return. The miners hearing the distant gunfire and figured out something was wrong... returned to town saw what happened, 17 dead in the street... and took pursuit. The gang had fled with a head start but laden heavily with gold and loot didn't get far and in the end the gang was gunned down.

The resulting mystery was the towns gold loot was no where to be found and to this day is still believed in the area and the subject of treasure hunters.

the guns used:
This is where I recall the first time I read about this, but I can no longer find the link to that particular story but it also suggested a firepower advantage the gang had with new percussion revolver technology, such as the Colt Drangoon at the time were more expensive while most people still had single shot black powder firearms... leaving the towns mostly unguarded citizens way under-gunned. Im sure with the towns miners being working in the field it was part of their sinister plan but the randomness of the victims struck a correlation to todays mass shootings. Evil will always exist and technology cant be erased and I just thought this story interesting in the sense of how new technology affected events the same as todays gun technology does even if this story escaped historys documentation by todays standards it would have been national news.
Colt_Dragoon_Mod_1848.jpg

also quickly swap preloaded cylinders?
This is a 20th century Hollywood / Cowboy action fantasy....I have never read of a period account ( 19th century ) where someone swapped cylinders....swapping revolvers or pistols yes....but never cylinders.

The Colt Dragoon is a fine revolver....with lots of whompabilty....:D
40 gains of powder and a .454 round ball....with six chances to make your statement.

Things that make cap and ball revolvers not so great....
Caps falling off....
Caps falling off and binding up the cylinder....
Fouling....
Slow to re-load....
Andy

This is a 20th century Hollywood / Cowboy action fantasy....I have never read of a period account ( 19th century ) where someone swapped cylinders....swapping revolvers or pistols yes....but never cylinders.

The Colt Dragoon is a fine revolver....with lots of whompabilty....:D
40 gains of powder and a .454 round ball....with six chances to make your statement.

Things that make cap and ball revolvers not so great....
Caps falling off....
Caps falling off and binding up the cylinder....
Fouling....
Slow to re-load....
Andy
I was secretly hoping you would reply as this was actually what I was curious if true or not. I dont know how they work or where I got it from to swap cylinders. Good to know the truth, you cant. I still think I would enjoy owning one, or at least a replica someday.

I was secretly hoping you would reply as this was actually what I was curious if true or not. I dont know how they work or where I got it from to swap cylinders. Good to know the truth, you cant. I still think I would enjoy owning one, or at least a replica someday.

Its not so much that you can't...
It just wasn't done back in the day....Clint Eastwood and his Remington New Model Army from Pale Rider , just ain't real life....

That said...
It is easier to swap cylinders on a Remington revolver than a Colt...due to the Remington top strap frame and cylinder pin vs. the Colt "open top" style and wedge pin system.
Again....for more shots ....one carried a extra revolver in the 19th century...not extra cylinders.

I like the Colt revolvers better...but there is nothing wrong with Remington revolver.
Andy

Its not so much that you can't...
It just wasn't done back in the day....Clint Eastwood and his Remington New Model Army from Pale Rider , just ain't real life....

That said...
It is easier to swap cylinders on a Remington revolver than a Colt...due to the Remington top strap frame and cylinder pin vs. the Colt "open top" style and wedge pin system.
Again....for more shots ....one carried a extra revolver in the 19th century...not extra cylinders.

I like the Colt revolvers better...but there is nothing wrong with Remington revolver.
Andy
sounds like then it was just too time consuming under stress when you could just carry two guns. Still a huge advantage over a single shot but at some point they gotta reload one of the two guns.

Oregon has a history of some areas being rich with gold. I have been fortunate to have been to some of them. What I liked best in my travels was hearing tales of robberies and nobody found the gold way back when.

It's helped my fondness for Colts SAA guns grow as I think about the historical times.

A really good story that is true about an area in Oregon that was rich in gold mines but the miners shut them down to go fight a war. I was in the area and the cables are still strung down the canyon that moved the ore.

What a great state we live in.

sounds like then it was just too time consuming under stress when you could just carry two guns. Still a huge advantage over a single shot but at some point they gotta reload one of the two guns.
Yes indeed....
To load a cap and ball revolver :

"Fire" all 5 or 6 chambers....
( Put a cap on a empty chamber , then fire...this blows out any oil or debris , you don't have to do this after you actually shoot )

Pour your powder charge down each chamber....5 or 6 times depending on if you have a 5 or 6 shot revolver...*
Place your ball or bullet over a chamber...then take the loading lever and fully seat the ball or bullet in the cylinder...
do this 5 or 6 times....
Put some grease over the cylinder face....
Put a cap on one nipple...skip the next one...put a cap on the rest...
Unless you are going to shoot right away...then cap all 5 or 6 nipples...
Fire away when ready...then start all over again....

*Now some folks will use a greased felt wad or some sort of filler between the powder and the ball you can do that...for 5 or 6 times , with each loading as well....
Andy

Put a cap on one nipple...skip the next one...put a cap on the rest...
Unless you are going to shoot right away...then cap all 5 or 6 nipples...
Fire away when ready...then start all over again....
is it safe to let the hammer rest on a loaded chamber? Or is there some other safe way to load all cylinders and holster and carry the gun?

is it safe to let the hammer rest on a loaded chamber? Or is there some other safe way to load all cylinders and holster and carry the gun?
Having the hammer rest on a loaded , but uncapped chamber is safe....Not so safe on the loaded and capped chamber.
Which is why I said cap the first nipple...then skip the next one...this uncapped nipple is where the hammer will rest if you are carrying the revolver in a holster.

All modern Colt and Remington replica revolvers have so called safety pins between the nipples....one can use those...but it make you revolver go out of time , eventually....
Andy

Having the hammer rest on a loaded , but uncapped chamber is safe....Not so safe on the loaded and capped chamber.
All modern Colt and Remington replica revolvers have so called safety pins between the nipples....one can use those...but it make you revolver go out of time , eventually....
ANdy
so the originals... back in the day didnt have those safety pins? Back in the day they had to carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber?

so the originals... back in the day didnt have those safety pins? Back in the day they had to carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber?
Colt came out with the safety pins on the later production 1851 Navy series and all later Colt percussion revolvers...
( original production )

Safety was a bit different in the 19th century than today...
I would think that some folks carried with a loaded chamber , but uncapped nipple...but not everyone...
You will read of Oops moments with hammers falling on capped percussion guns.
Andy

I found O'Brien and Waldo Road, but no Waldo.

Its a ghost town so its not on any modern maps and from what Ive read not even there any more
There is nothing left of Waldo today. It's not even a ghost town in the sense that there are no buildings left. It's just a place name at this point, maybe 2 or 3 miles east of O'brien on Waldo Road. The only sign of past activity there is some tailing piles in the creek bed on the south side of the road. There was a historical marker there at one time. It was a stone monument maybe 3 feet high with a bronze plaque, but it was vandalized years ago and the plaque stolen, so all that is remaining are the stones at a wide spot in the road. You'd have to know what you are looking for to notice it.

Last Edited:
Which is fine and dandy on a clean revolver....
but it don't work so good on a fired , dirty one....
Andy
Good point although my replica revolvers don't get that dirty after only 5 rounds.

Somewhere I read a reference to Jack Hayes obtaining a bunch of revolvers from the Texas Navy, each with two cylinders, marked with the revolvers SN and fitted to the gun.

Heresay doesn't count so I will try to find a first hand source.

Supposedly Hays had extra cylinders...for his Paterson revolvers.
Most Paterson revolvers at this early time , did not have loading levers...so having a extra cylinder may be helpful....

I say supposedly 'cause again I know of no 19th century period source that says he used extra cylinders....
So I might say that with the early Paterson series....a extra cylinder may have been used , since some folks ( modern ) say that Colt shipped the Paterson with extra cylinders.

I would rather have a period ( 19th century source for this )
Andy

I have fuzzy memories of reading somewhere that the last remaining building at Waldo was the old saloon. It stood on private land on the north side of the road. There was a large, ornately framed mirror behind the bar. Before the building was demolished, the mirror was removed and is now behind the bar at some hotel in Portland, if I'm not mistaken.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top